RSB

vcard/monitor choice

Hey all,

What are your thoughts on the following:

1) GTX580 SLI with new Samsung 2443BW+ (to go with existing Dell U2410 and Benq G2400W for 16:10 2D surround - 5760x1200)

or

2) GTX580 with new Dell U2711 (2560x1440 - yeah I know its 16:9 - will go with existing Dell U2410 as a side accessory monitor - not used when gaming)

The SLI setup is slightly more expensive so it will be interesting to see how GTX570 SLI goes bang for buck wise.

Note my planned system will be able to support future GTX580 SLI also if going with option 2.

Thanks for your replies in advance.

To be honest I would not bother with the GTX580, over priced kit IMHO. But if it's all about the E-Peen then go for choice number one ;)

So you mean getting two BenQ monitors for 3 monitor 2d surround?

If it was me I'd go that option, 2 580's is a huge amount of performance and you wouldnt run out of it soon but it is terribly expensive. Still if you have the cash why not right?

The build definitely isnt for epeen as few will see the system. GTX 480 SLI would be easier on the wallet but I wonder if 2 x Zalman VF3000F triple slot coolers would be necessary to reduce noise (apparently 580 SLI is ever so slightly quieter than one 480). It would fit in a haf x although on the ga-x58a-ud3r the second vcard would be at 8x - doesnt seem to have much of a performance drop from benches. Theres also the new GTX 570 card to consider which supposedly performs as well as a 480 and quieter. The 570's 1280MB of memory may be a little limiting in 2d surround at extreme resolutions vs the 480's 1536mb though. Then the 6970 surfaces to make the choice even easier! Given that there doesnt appear to be too many titles supporting 2d surround and the fov issues people have to deal with, i'm edging towards the 27" and one vcard at the moment...

I would look at a large monitor for games and use the old one for a secondary.

570 sli with aftermarket cooling sounds good but maybe a single 580 would be less hassle.

The build definitely isnt for epeen as few will see the system. GTX 480 SLI would be easier on the wallet but I wonder if 2 x Zalman VF3000F triple slot coolers would be necessary to reduce noise (apparently 580 SLI is ever so slightly quieter than one 480). It would fit in a haf x although on the ga-x58a-ud3r the second vcard would be at 8x - doesnt seem to have much of a performance drop from benches. Theres also the new GTX 570 card to consider which supposedly performs as well as a 480 and quieter. The 570's 1280MB of memory may be a little limiting in 2d surround at extreme resolutions vs the 480's 1536mb though. Then the 6970 surfaces to make the choice even easier! Given that there doesnt appear to be too many titles supporting 2d surround and the fov issues people have to deal with, i'm edging towards the 27" and one vcard at the moment...

Why would the 2nd card be at 8x?

And yeah, dual 480s fit in a HAF X perfectly, so you wouldn't have an issue there.

I'd be going for dual 580s and the 24" though, Dasa has a GTX480 and a 2711 and he struggles to maintain 30fps in most new games at that res when his card is overclocked past 580 speeds.

I'm running a 27 only 1080p though, and I don't have any probs with fps with 2 cards.

What about 2 gtx 460's ?

Yeah I'm the same, my dual GTX480s shred everything including Crysis, however a single card would struggle on a 2711 which has a res of 2560x1440 or something.