Sign in to follow this  
sillysam

Steam Treasure Hunt!

the learning curve might be steeper than the usual fps

Er really? I don't see how it is any different considering the original Team Fortress (which had awesome physics that could be exploited with grenade and rocket jumps) is a template for most if not all FPS shooters. Yes some of the classes have a few nuances you have to get used to but so do other FPS' that have classes eg the Battlefield series (which adds an extra element of usable vehicles).

the learning curve might be steeper than the usual fps

Er really? I don't see how it is any different
Actually, I agree with sillysam; mostly. Some of the maps are pretty easy to get turned around in, and the multitude of classes makes it a little daunting for first-timers to really feel comfortable.

That said anyone with enough wherewithal to stick at it for more than two hours will fit into it comfortably, and ultimately have more fun than any other FPS can offer. TF2's probably my greatest multiplayer love of all time! Haven't gotten into the hat craze, nor played for five or so months (I go through cycles of playing and not), but it's always enjoyable.

More on-topic, I saw that treasure hunt thing, but I don't think I have the energy to play all those games enough to get the achievements in time D:

I've played more than two hours and still get pwned by bots...not to mention on public servers

Maybe its just me

On-topic

Yeah, playing those games would be an issue, but there's the chance you've already owned the game promoted, and unlocked the achievement

And why's everyone just acknowledge that hats are up for grab (though limited edition hats DO sound attractive)

I'm aiming for the 5 games on wishlist and the 100 games

I know, unrealistic, but it's fun to know that you have a chance of winning something while doing something you love

Second set of objectives now active...Unfortunately no promotion for New Vegas...There's still Christmas, right?

Like last time, one steam-related objective, one relatively new game, and two indies. Seems like this will be the format of the objectives.

Friends with benefits would be hard for me...

BTW, previous objectives are still valid, so no rush...

Anyone want to start guessing what other games would be on the objective list?

I'd bet Civ 5 would be in one of the objectives

That's the great thing about TF2 though, for like minded people it is simply the best team game there is

It requires a combination of different classes to be successful and it takes a team of people communicating with each other properly to do well.

The competition play is heroin addictive, sure if you have the skills you can carry a little but no one person can greatly change the flow of the game.

Also because each class is so different it makes the depth of the game for each individual player so much more, if you feel yourself tiring of a class you can find another you like the look of and thrash that, with the added benefits of knowing the game mechanics already.

Put simply its the best $2.50 I ever spent, hence the stupid amount of time I put into the community.

As for the hats, you are all jealous your games of choice aren't exceptional team based hat simulators.

I agree that tf2 is team oriented, but like most online shooters, if you just join a random server, teamwork is hardly evident

It's actually quite hard to get any teamwork besides the default class roles you need to perfrom in-game, unless you are playing with friends or clan members

And for a player who's new to tf2, the learning curve might be steeper than the usual fps (ie COD), so that might be a turn-off for gamers, especially if they don't have friends/clan or veteran teaching them how to play

I disagree. COD may be easy to pick up, however it is the worst when it comes to teamwork. In all the matches I've been with, most of the time everyone was doing one thing and one thing only. Getting the most kills in the server time. Oh, and the extra bit of capturing the flag/getting the bomb planted etc. Plus, these games tend to appeal only to those that have a limited mind set. When I started playing COD, I was consistently frustrated by idiots that go off and get kills and ranting how they lost because they ignored the main objective of the game. That's probably why I play TF2 only and play COD should friends want to play.

TF2 is much harder as you need to play as a team but as long as you are willing to work together, then it'll be fun. Heck, I've made more friends on TF2 than on COD because I'm more support than a front-line soldier.

Looks like you only need to play the demo of the undergarden to complete that objective.

For the sake of trying to get Treasure hat through buying no games whatsoever, I'm giving this demo a shot.

Looks like you only need to play the demo of the undergarden to complete that objective.

For the sake of trying to get Treasure hat through buying no games whatsoever, I'm giving this demo a shot.

All you need to do is install it and load it.

You don't have to play it.

Oh, I just wasted 5 minutes of my life on that game, when I could've left it sitting in my games list.

Dammit.

Oh, I just wasted 5 minutes of my life on that game, when I could've left it sitting in my games list.

Dammit.

+1

It sure is a pretty game.

Shame about the movement.

I guess the puzzles and adventuring could get better later on.

Anyway, glad it's just a "check out the demo" for the treasure.

That's another 3 for me :)

Edited by Charcoal

Wish I had of known about the demo - 10 minutes I won't ever get back...

Here are the hats:

Bounty Hat (Level 5)

Posted Image

Treasure Hat (Level 15)

Posted Image

Hat of Undeniable Wealth and Respect (Level 28 - not yet designed?)

Posted Image

Anyone know where the Companion Badge is from - Portal 2 pre-order? From the TF2 Wiki: There is currently no definitive way to obtain the pin, and Valve has not commented on it in any public announcement yet.

Posted Image

Edited by neX

Wish I had of known about the demo - 10 minutes I won't ever get back...

Here are the hats:

Treasure Hat (Level 15)

Posted Image

C'monnnnn Treasure Hat!

Dammit.

Lol yeah its pretty lame... I actually ended up getting it on XBLA for the other half before it was released on steam.. She even thinks it sucks...

I will have to dust off AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity this afternoon...

Has anyone got the terminal velocity objective yet?

I don't think I have even played the game since I got it.. Hopefully the objective isn't that hard to get.

Going by how hard the other achievements are - I would say not. EG: Chime cheevo -> 2,000,000+ points on my first go...

You can unlock your hat via the Treasure Hunt page (on the right) in the client or if you are logged in via the site.

I will have to dust off AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity this afternoon...

Has anyone got the terminal velocity objective yet?

I don't think I have even played the game since I got it.. Hopefully the objective isn't that hard to get.

It isn't. I've had Aaah! for a while, but haven't played it on this install; so I had to start from the beginning and I had it in under 15min.

Its a 331 MB download for the demo. I have 3 points already without spending a cent. At this rate I'll get the lowest hat for FREE

A side note on TF2. I love it to death, It does have a lot to do with who you play with, I have great mates from playing a local based server and even when the sod all times we had an atomic match it was awsum fun. Learning the game is easy, go medic and stick to a top scorer, watch and learn.

The game goes through stages, every update brings back lapsed players and every sales infuses new blood. I know a few COD guys who can't get into TF2 but most people just need an evening or long afternoon session to pick it up. Get a mic, play a server close to home and make some friends.

Edited by gunny

i am only going for the free ones or REALLY GOOD SPECIALS, like Bioshock for $2 or something

its cause I love tf2

but my pc is broken D:

I disagree. COD may be easy to pick up, however it is the worst when it comes to teamwork. In all the matches I've been with, most of the time everyone was doing one thing and one thing only. Getting the most kills in the server time. Oh, and the extra bit of capturing the flag/getting the bomb planted etc. Plus, these games tend to appeal only to those that have a limited mind set. When I started playing COD, I was consistently frustrated by idiots that go off and get kills and ranting how they lost because they ignored the main objective of the game. That's probably why I play TF2 only and play COD should friends want to play.

TF2 is much harder as you need to play as a team but as long as you are willing to work together, then it'll be fun. Heck, I've made more friends on TF2 than on COD because I'm more support than a front-line soldier.

Teamwork isn't really centric in COD, and the ones who just go for the K/D ratio is plain annoying in game modes with objectives, more sore the whinny kids.

But it'll be hard to get teamwork in a game where there's matchmaking and personal achievement is awarded rather than teamwork.

On the other hand, TF2 is team centric, and the classes are balanced as such that personal skill is less important than good teamwork.

Having played yesterday, my opinion still stands, the teamwork is basic, and some of the better players had to instruct engineers to build dispensers etc.

And by the end of the second round, most of the better players have already left, frustrated by us noobs

And omfg, Portal Badge. Need. One.

Purchased Chime, couldn't say no for $1.25 - it's actually a pretty fun game to fill in time with. Will be installing the demo tonight. Otherwise nothing else interesting. Hoping for some good cheap games over the next few days.

Not so impressed with today's sale/objectives. Mafia II for $53.59 is still too much for me to spend on a linear, short game >.<

There's also a Magic: The Gathering ($4.99) and a Droplitz sale ($2.50), but I'm not so keen on those either.

Not so impressed with today's sale/objectives. Mafia II for $53.59 is still too much for me to spend on a linear, short game >.<

There's also a Magic: The Gathering ($4.99) and a Droplitz sale ($2.50), but I'm not so keen on those either.

Droplitz is fun.

I got it once on Impulse for $2.50 and hten about a year later on Steam for the same price.

I'd say it was worth the $5 I've spent on it.