tantryl

Have you purchased WoW Cataclysm yet?

I've recently gone back to the two starting zones (Hyjal, Vashjir) to unlock some phasing to access quartermasters, and I have to say the initial rush has died down a lot. There's no more scenes of 100 people camping a single, slow, quest spawn so that they can open up the rest of the zone.

There are still too many playing, tho', and Blizzard has still done a woeful job of attempting to maintain some kind of faction balance on most servers I've seen. I hear 4,000 queues are not unheard of.

I've recently gone back to the two starting zones (Hyjal, Vashjir) to unlock some phasing to access quartermasters, and I have to say the initial rush has died down a lot. There's no more scenes of 100 people camping a single, slow, quest spawn so that they can open up the rest of the zone.

There are still too many playing, tho', and Blizzard has still done a woeful job of attempting to maintain some kind of faction balance on most servers I've seen. I hear 4,000 queues are not unheard of.

Queues are the reason me and my friends moved from Frostmourne to Jubei'thos. Frostmourne queues were 4k+ at times, that's about 5 hours of wait time. I had friends who were logging in before work in the morning and coming home to find it on their character screen.

If I was playing on Frostmourne still, I'd set up a left click macro on my keyboard, keep the mouse hovered over the enter game button, login before work and then come home to find my character completely logged in – it was that ridiculous. And still is. Jubei queues reach 1000 regularly but waiting 25-30 mins isn't really a problem.

I've been running through the start areas since they dropped.

Like I said earlier (possibly in another thread?), there's no challenge to levelling any more. There's no drawback to dying as there are graveyards everywhere, there's no way to get lost, you never have to walk anywhere, and there's no skill in min-maxing your questing. The levelling is now a cookie cutter design. Bugger all way to improve your solo levelling times, never have to face an enemy that's beyond your ability, even if you die you're back there in under 30 seconds.

It's like Tetris if you only ever got the four blocks in a straight line. You still have to move them left to right, but any thought, planning or strategy is not required.

Edited by tantryl

I've been running through the start areas since they dropped.

Like I said earlier (possibly in another thread?), there's no challenge to levelling any more. There's no drawback to dying as there are graveyards everywhere, there's no way to get lost, you never have to walk anywhere, and there's no skill in min-maxing your questing. The levelling is now a cookie cutter design. Bugger all way to improve your solo levelling times, never have to face an enemy that's beyond your ability, even if you die you're back there in under 30 seconds.

It's like Tetris if you only ever got the four blocks in a straight line. You still have to move them left to right, but any thought, planning or strategy is not required.

I find levelling characters fun now, which is something I would never say about WOW back when levelling was a grind.

The new areas and quests are fun and refreshing, you feel like you're making progress, rather than being stuck on a level for hours at a time. Wow is still about top level, theres no denying that, it always has been, but atleast they put a bit of effort into the rest of the game, something which was sorely missed with the release of the previous 2 expansions. I feel that Cata has got it right this time around.

Also, random dungeons are an awesome way to gear up quickly while levelling, which also gives you a nice break from the often monotonous task of questing.

Edited by nukejockey

I agree there's no challenge in levelling. For a game with few actual challenges, I can see how that would be disappointing for some. That being said, quests are now so streamed that, especially in the new 80+ zones, being cockblocked at a single point can mean you can't move on, eg unable to finish the Hyjal/Vashjir, phasing issues ruining Uldum and Twilight Highlands. I haven't done anything sub-60 since 4.x hit, but they generally weren't quite so bad.

It *IS* intended to be an RPG, Tanty. I'm not sure of your overall point.

I used to enjoy the challenge of finding the best ways to do things. Now it doesn't matter what you do.

It's a cakewalk - To easy. I don't think I've died once since I started leveling - i remember having to leave a quest for a while until i got some more levels under my belt and come back to it, or seek help - So far, the quests have all been completed solo

I've logged on 3 times in as many days (well, sometimes multiple times per day) and not seen a queue yet...

But that may be because of the time I log on and the fact that my main is still on a US server. >_>

I used to enjoy the challenge of finding the best ways to do things. Now it doesn't matter what you do.

This is true... that said, for me after coming back to the game after 2 years, I have enough new stuff to (re-)learn!

It's a cakewalk - To easy. I don't think I've died once since I started leveling - i remember having to leave a quest for a while until i got some more levels under my belt and come back to it, or seek help - So far, the quests have all been completed solo

I agree, it is considerably easier than I remember... With my first few days of questing I've been consistenly experiencing virtually 0 downtime on my feral druid. In cat form, the mobs are usually half dead before they can even start attacking me. Accidentally pull 3 extra (which i did last night when I wasn't paying attention), and its still pretty easy to deal with without dying.

-A-

I know what you mean.

When there is a significant downside to dying (like a long corpse run) it creates tension.

I prefer to have a significant challenge in my games and most of the questing in Cata hasn't really provided for that. Don't get me wrong , I think its better than Wrath and the storytelling aspect is actually quite well done. Its just not hard enough imho

I think you'll find due to the crazy quick spawn times of mobs in densely populated parts of certain 82-85 zones, you might die occasionally. At least while levelling and your gear's still not that amazing.

Mobs do a lot more damage than they ever have before, granted your HP scales hugely with each level, but you can't really afford to pull 3-4 mobs anymore, unless you're a mage and have stupidly overpowered snares, or a hybrid healer or something, you probably won't survive it.

I'm finding if I don't watch what I'm doing while doing the Tol'barad Peninsula dailies, I can end up pulling 5+ at once and it becomes a challenge especially if they're caster-type mobs.

But yeah the overall levelling difficulty has taken a big hit. Heroics and raids so far are a lot harder than what I remember in WOTLK though.

I suspect they're trying to lower the barrier to entry faced by new players.

For WoW to survive, they need fresh blood walking through the door. The thought of having to level your way through all the old content just to get to the "end game", causes a lot of people to balk.

The challenge comes at the end, where raiding and top tier dungeons require good teamwork to survive.

Most of the zones seem deserted these days. I'm glad they've allowed for people to solo a lot of the content.

As somone who once did endgame quit and recently returned via Cataclysm I've been impressed with.

New quest lines towns/ camps - revamped areas. 1k Needles and Salt Flats underwater was crazy.

Flight paths nearly every camp you jump into

Mounts available at earlier levels.

The new look ogrimmar is pretty awesome though was confusing as hell at first.

Some of the instances that were once around the level 60 zone like scholo and strat available at lower levels...

Makes it incredibly accessible for newbies and veteran players returning to the game without doing the exact same ol stuff over again....

I do miss some of the challenge though but I hear thats found in the 80 level areas but hesitant about rushing into them. Im kinda happy just levelling my various characters and making a killing on the ah...

At the moment, Im enjoying running around with a recruit a friend benefits with tantryl. Levelling a tanking spec paladin / feral druid at the moment - think we are level 54ish with about 17-18 hours played with a fair bit of dicking around in town and real bad luck with random pug noobs in instances.....

My oh my - Blizz customer support are still fun I see

I can't see Pyrite Ore - I can see the nodes fine, but when I tap them and go to loot, no loot window is displayed. Check under my Smelting window, and Pyrite Ore is missing as the required reagent for Smelt Pyrium - Go waddle to AH and search for Pyrite Ore, and I get pages of empty results

Tried a repair, no go - Ditch my interface and WTF folders (Yeah - Even the ones under my user profile) and no joy - Ditch my old client, download and install a fresh one (No addons), no joy - Go over to a mates place and sign in on his system, same crap

Log a ticket with Blizz with all this data, and 4 days later they close my ticket and email me saying its my UI :P

Anyone come across something like that and know a fix? Blizz arnt filling me with hope

Mojo and I hit 60 in about 22 hours /played, and that was with quite a bit of forking around. Pretty sure we could do it in ~16 hours if we focussed.

Cracked 81 via Hyjle on my main. Ret Pally.

lots of fun. bits of phasing, mini cut scenes, a few places where youcan die due to complacence or extreme respawn rate. only if you are off guard.

Gear is goign up in average level, down in gear score and up in power. Mastery has stated to make a difference, I was displeased with the way ret pallies seemed crap, but now that mastery is havign an incresed effect I'm getting my mojo back.

doing underwater in my Lock. working in 3d environs like this was challenging at 1st. mobs above, loot that loats, depth perception need more camera angle changes to get. enjoyed the openign sequence and the plot progression. had to look up online where the flight point was as I was missing a mail box to offload items to keep. that's about the only problem I had. again, not havign every thng on the ground is a nice change. gives it a good feeling of being on a busy reef or rock shelf with fish every were. looking forward to how it pans out.

Will be taking my Fury Warrior through Hyjl, if only for the convenience of mail boxes.

Got my hunter at level 83 and now that I've worked out the best rotation my DPS has increase tenfold, its amazing, can take out enemies with 50k hp in about 10 seconds, so taking on 3-4 at a time is no problem at all.

Currently running around Deepholm, interesting place, some fun quests there. When I first went to meet Thrall at the rock above the Maelstrom it was definitely a wow moment. This is an old engine and while alot of things still look old, it was amazing showing up on this wind/rain lashed rock with waves crashing all around. Very Cool.

Seems I'm nearly finished in Deepholm so I'll be heading to Uldum (sp?) next.

Uldum: land of the "just fucking end already so I can get the god damn dungeon quest."

FixT that for you.

And it seems heroics have now gone from the easy they were approaching to retardily hard again. All the scrubs, casuals and idiots seem to of hit the ilvl329 mark in the last couple of days and there's a new (even larger wave then the first week) of people who fail to comprehend the concepts of "Don't stand in the AoE" "Yes, you really do have to keep sheeping that more then once" and "No, you can't just AoE the mobs." This group of people also seem to suffer from a wonderful need to go afk every 2mins on top of it. -_-

^ this..

But I must say the Indiana jones quest chain to get this quest was pretty cool.

At 85 now with mostly 333 blues and it's starting to get a little tiresome with the occational rage quits on wipes after a heroic trash mob...

Heroics have flipped over into being easy again. There's enough DPS in the group, healers have enough regen, and tanks enough HP/armour/avoidance.

Ofcourse, hour-long farmed heroics are still a lot longer than their 15 minute cousins from WotLK.

hit 85 saturday night. average item level still 11 points short of heroics.

queue time is alway out to 30 minutes for randoms. i'm a bit wtf about that given you need to grind them for JP or gear to do heroics....

12k dps is quite an insentive.