spyder

Noctua D14 cooler blocking RAM slots on Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

With my recent new build, I hit one snag that is a pain in the rear, so I'm after some advice on what I can do.

The Noctua D14 cooler is an awesome beat, albeit quite large. Keeping my CPU (i7 950) down below 50 degrees at full load.

However, I'm using Corsair 6G Triple 1600C8D RAM on the X58A-UD3R board (in slots 2, 4 and 6), and I had to lift the front fan on the cooler up a few fins to clear the RAM heatsinks (in slot 2 especially).

Now I want to put in some more RAM to populate all 6 slots, but I've found the CPU heatsink itself (not just the fan) is blocking slot 1 completely.

I had one thought, the cooler is currently pointing east/west (with the RAM slots at the east of the cooler), can I rotate the cooler to be in north/south orientation and would this clear the slots for the extra RAM? I don't want to go through the whole process of redoing the cooler mounting if it isn't going to work.

Or, does any one have some other inexpensive but effective suggestion?

(The RAM is just under the fan on the right of the cooler)

Posted Image

RSB - Thanks for that.

philo-sofa - it's not the fan that is at issue, unfortunately it is the fins of the heatsink that are blocking the slot...

My god that is massive.... I haven't used air since socket A days, I didn't realise how giant these things have gotten!

Well, THAT didn't work. If anything, north/south was worse, because it blocked BOTH slot 1 AND 2...

Any recommendations for low profile RAM???

Ahh thats unfortunate. Looks like you cant always rely on the eyesight of people who supposedly have the same gear! I'd think most sticks without extended heatspreaders would be as low in height as you can go. If you're lucky finding some specs or a review on the sticks you're after then you'll be able to do the measurements. Otherwise in the worse case scenario, you may have to modify/flog the hsf.

Edited by RSB

philo-sofa - it's not the fan that is at issue, unfortunately it is the fins of the heatsink that are blocking the slot...

Ah sorry, failed to read the question fully. BOL with your fix m80.

I had that issue myself with the d14 not fitting over dominator gt/airflow fan.

so i reverse mounted it with the 120mm on the other side from picture, back fan as intake, top for exhaust, and dremelled 1/3 of a fin for 3 fins to make the bastard fit.

works well

edit - so if 3 fins to fit over dominator gt with heatsink, i would say trim 2 fins ever so slightly to clear normal

Edited by g0t.w00t?

^^ Was gonna say. I'd just remove the offending fins or cut them. Stuff getting new ram. Losing some fins isn't gonna kill you on that beastie. I haven't got a dremel but i'd give it a bash with a hacksaw blade :P

Edited by turk

I've hit the same snag on my build with the EVGA Classified and it's almost UD7-esque 'mines bigger than yours' NB cooling tower. I've actually had to mount the cooler North/South, lean the NB tower AND interlock the fins between it and the Noctua.

My solution to my own problem of wanting more RAM? Not bother - I'm never going to use more than 6GB at a time so I only need to fill slots 2, 4 and 6.

So really think, do you:

a) Buy a complete new set for matching RAM,

b) Run mis-matching pairs between the channels, or,

c) Consider your current and projected workload on your memory and performance differences between what you have, mismatching, or compatible memory and figure if it's worth it or not...

Thanks for the link Frunj - lesson learnt, check for things like that first!

But, with that link, I believe you have given me the easiest answer - remove the heatsink off the spreader... That puts them into the compatible range!!

Will try this later on today.

Edit : And we now have all slots populated! First 2 minus heat sinks, rest with. Thanks everyone for all your help!

Edited by spyder

Edit : And we now have all slots populated! First 2 minus heat sinks, rest with. Thanks everyone for all your help!

Woot! I'd helped someone else out who emailed my work address with the same problem (though he thought he had a U12P-SE2), good that it works with GIGABYTE motherboards too :)