Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Reb1rth.

Gran Turismo 5 APPRECIATION and screenshot thread!

Hi elfinke, I haven't played since the PSN blackout. To be honest, I've turned my PS3 on twice since.

I'm definitely down for playing, though.

And to your delight, I prefer low-PP races (500-550pp), as they're closer and more competitive races than the higher performance cars.

I just need to find motivation to drag my PS3 upstairs, as my housemates are TV junkies -- as I've said a few times in this thread, I'm sure.

Edited by Reb1rth.

Finally got me self a G27 wheel after me old Force feedback died in the arse

What a great wheel besides not being able to program buttons. WTF ghey

I haven't played GT5 since the week PSN went down... barely touched my PS3 since.

I should get on soon... as for G-series, they're not officially supported, so we have to make do.

I find the button layout mostly fine anyway (aside from handbrake being a button on the shifter).

Note: I am Reb1rth... :)

Edited by ezkaton

From Kotaku AU;

"PlayStation 3 racing sim Gran Turismo 5 continues to evolve with the promised “Spec 2″ update, Sony and developer Polyphony Digital announced today, giving virtual drivers more to see and do as the game approaches its first birthday.

Gran Turismo 5‘s “Spec 2″ update adds interiors for all cars in the game, albeit of varying quality. The update also includes the 2011 season versions of the 11 NASCAR race cars, “greatly reduced load times when loading races,” and the ability to save mid-race during some of GT5‘s lengthier races.

There’s more, including an expanded Photo Mode, and a new budget friendly priced for Gran Turimso 5 (now $US39.99 USD), all of which is laid out in greater detail at the official PlayStation blog."

From PlayStation blog;

"If you have been keeping up with GT5, you know Polyphony Digital has been very diligent about releasing free updates to improve the game, especially the online racing mode. Ever since the launch, Kazunori Yamauchi and his team have been carefully studying posts on forums, reading comments on PlayStation.Blog posts and across Twitter, talking to fans at events, and more. The game has evolved a lot since last November, thanks in part to the dedicated GT fans voicing their opinions.

Now I’m here to share with you some very exciting news about the biggest FREE update yet, releasing in the next few weeks. It will add new features and even more functionality to your GT5 experience.

Polyphony learned that a lot of fans out there love driving using the game’s interior view, and has given some serious thought to it. With this new update, all cars in the game will now have interior views. Although the level of visual details will vary based on what car you choose, you can now race from behind the wheel of any car in the game. In addition, you’ll be able to get the 2011 season versions of the 11 NASCAR race cars for the first time.

Some of the other improvements introduced are greatly reduced load times when loading races, quicker menu response times, and adjustable opponent AI in Arcade Mode. Players will now have the option to save their progress during lengthy racing events so they can come back and finish at a later time, and can also adjust weather conditions for races using a slider function that goes from mild to severe.

The wildly popular Photo Mode has been updated to allow players to take pictures with their personalized driver avatars with customizable racing suits and helmets. You can even fast-forward and rewind race replays now to better capture that key moment in the race.

For those who enjoy racing online with your fellow gearheads, we’re expanding the shuffle race mode. As with the same feature in Gran Turismo PSP, this allows friendly competition between players of different skill levels. Players setting up online races will also have a host of new regulations available to customize their own events. New bonus incentives are introduced for players who log in and play on a consistent basis.

Truly hardcore racing fans will be stoked to hear that GT5 will now officially and fully support the Logitech G25 and G27 Racing Wheels.

The final piece of big news is that there will be a full batch of downloadable content for Gran Turismo 5 in the coming weeks. This DLC will of course include new vehicles and tracks, plus some additional surprises.

We’ll have more details very soon on the specifics of the DLC, so stay tuned, and check the blog and the official Gran Turismo website for further details.

I am ending this post with a comment from the man himself, Kazunori Yamauchi, president of Polyphony Digital and creator of the Gran Turismo franchise:

"The coming Gran Turismo 5 Spec 2 update is an update that contains the feedback from the users playing GT5 online every day. We have added cars such as the newest NASCAR race cars, but many of the updates are those that improve usability and expand the field of game play. I believed from the initial release of Gran Turismo 5 that it would be the users that would make the game grow thereafter, and we added things like interior views for the standard models because there was a lot of request for it from our users. You could say that this update is the shape and form of GT5 that was created through the opinions of our fans."

And if you don’t have Gran Turismo 5 yet, now is the perfect time to get into the best-selling racing game. In addition to all of the great new content and free updates, as of this week you can pick GT5 up for only $39.99."

Edited by Ezkaton

Truly hardcore racing fans will be stoked to hear that GT5 will now officially and fully support the Logitech G25 and G27 Racing Wheels.

Why this wasn't in the game in the first place, particularly the G25 which was released well before GT5 was, I don't know, but it is very very welcome.

Interiors for each car...meh. I hate racing in interior mode, you can't see shit. The interior takes up too much screen space, and I think it is far from realistic - perhaps if they pulled back the extent of the interior to reveal more road....

DLC...new tracks! w00t!! Also very welcome....will they put in Bathurst? A faint hope but would be awesome if so...8-)

Edited by Antraman

I'm excited about the cockpits for all cars. I really like racing with cockpit but I feel they shake unrealistically upon braking and I can't see the road properly.

I also wish the camera was pulled back from the wheel a bit... it feels way too close as is.

Should still be a really worthwhile update though. I'm glad they're continuously working on the game.

As for the G25 thing, that doesn't really bother me too much... the only thing I'd change is the handbrake location. But then I thought, fuck, I don't use the damn thing anyway.

I'd prefer proper realistic clutch support. Adding things like a slipping clutch and slowing you down a little instead of just changing into neutral if you don't shift perfectly and completely fucking up your lap.

New tracks are also welcomed... I'd love to see more tracks from GT2, like SEATTLE! :D My favorite track in the entire GT series.

----

On another note, I've been getting back into racing online.

Do any of you guys play/still play online?

I noticed Negotiator come on last night, but only after I'd already quit to play Dark Souls.

Edited by Ezkaton

Oh nice, looks like a good update, unfortunately i'm capped for another week and a half or so.

I'm still plugging away at the A-Spec but got into the rally Special Events recently, good fun.

looking forward to reduced menu and race loading times and more cars and stuff :)

Ya I still play online. Still waiting for this race you wanted to put on Reb1rth (Ezkaton) with the 500PP i think it was.

Been doing alot of the online seasonals to go and purchase all the race cars and my favorite road cars. Never bothered with the X1 special stage thing but now I have one thanks to S Vettal winning the F1 championship.

Yep, I got that X1 for free last night too... haha.

I still plan to hold that race event... more-so now that I've just started playing again.

I've been doing the Ferrari seasonal on LeMans. $504,000 or something for one lap in a maxed out Enzo.

Takes about 3:40 or so. Fastest way to build up cash, I've found. :)

I'll re-think up that race event and post it up here... hopefully some more racers pipe in and offer suggestions or show interest.

no bathurst, iRacing has been hunting its licence for ever but codies own a licence that wont let others use it.. basically there games are so shit they need to stop other games being good to keep up wtf?

no bathurst, iRacing has been hunting its licence for ever but codies own a licence that wont let others use it.. basically there games are so shit they need to stop other games being good to keep up wtf?

Oh man that shit makes me mad. Its the same with Porsche being locked out of the GT series because of an earlier exclusive deal, which apparently Porsche wanted to break but can't...

yeah I forget about Seattle, why the hell did they take that out anyway, it was a great track. I also like Red Rock Valley too...that was awesome with the supercars and F1's...

I'd like to see all the left-out classics from previous games make a return.

I plan to run as follows (still gotta find a good date for it);

450-550pp street cars.

Sports soft tyre restriction.

No main assists, ABS allowed.

All tracks will be run off a track vote, whatever gets in gets in.

Reverse grid off previous race results, to try and give the slower guys a bit of a chance for the next race.

Light damage, and if everybody proves themselves to be able to race clean I will change it to heavy.

Strong penalties.

3-10 laps (track dependent, but the average will be 8-10, lower laps on courses like LeMans/Nurburg, etc).

Might add in the odd power-house race and bump the PP up if everybody can race relatively cleanly.

I prefer the lower end PP as it's easier for most people to drive and it keeps the racers closer and the races are more competitive.

Will also do a few 'restricted' races, such as "1960-1980 American muscle" for example, drivetrain restricted races, and so on... just to keep things varied.

I'd add in at least one mandatory pit stop per race but it's very difficult to get random joiners to follow such a rule.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Edited by Ezkaton

Do you play online at all, martyr?

To be honest, i havent played an online game of anything on the ps3. It's the one thing that i've struggled with in my move from xbox to ps3. Everything else i like alot more than xbox but setting up parties and chat seems to be more difficult on ps3.

I play at odd hours which doesnt really help to tee games up with mates either ;)

Man i wish i wasn't capped...do you get the X1 after the update or did u have to log in last night, cause it seems that in order to get your birthday car present you have to log in on your actual birthday...?

looking forward to more seasonal races! and i might join you guys in some online racing when i'm in my new house at year end :P

I'm not sure about the X1 thing. To be honest, I didn't even know about it... it just popped up.

My workmate is going to fire up his game tonight and see if he gets it, so if you haven't done so by then I'll get back to you on his discovery.

As for GT5 online, it's relatively pain-free (it's the only console game I've been able to handle playing online).

Players can host their own servers, set all server options, and if you want to mic you just turn it on and talk to anybody in the server.

You can also join friends' servers straight off the ingame 'community' section, etc.

Much better than the auto matchmaking rubbish found in most games.

EDIT: An almost 1.2gb patch just dropped. GT5 Spec 2.0!

=====================================

Major Changes and New Features

- Standard Cars now given simplified cockpit views

The over 800 standard cars included in the game are now given simplified cockpit views. You can change your view using the SELECT button when racing, to change your display to the exciting cockpit view.

*Unlike the cockpit view of premium cars, the simplified cockpit is shown in a dark silhouette, and the gauges used for the car will be standard in-game instruments.

- New Opening Movie

A new opening movie is now available from “Gran Turismo TV”. When you download this movie, it will replace the current opening movie. The previous version will be viewable within Gran Turismo TV.

- Addition of the weather change menu

On some tracks with weather changes, it is now possible for the user to set time and weather changes from the Quick Menu in both the Arcade Mode, and “Practice” of the GT Mode. Also, you can make more detailed time and weather changes while editing in the course maker and in the online lounge.

- Multiple car settings/save feature

We’ve added a setting sheet feature that allows you to save multiple car settings.

From the [setting Sheet] on the lower right of the screen, you can check the current settings. You can switch between 3 settings A, B, and C, allowing you to change between your personal settings easily according to the type of race and your objectives.

- Added 11 NASCAR cars

The newest NASCAR 2011 models have been added to the car dealerships. The added cars are the following:

Toyota 2011 Denny Hamlin #11 FedEx TOYOTA CAMRY ’11

Chevrolet 2011 Tony Stewart #14 Office Depot CHEVROLET IMPALA ’11

Toyota 2011 Kyle Busch #18 M&M’SR TOYOTA CAMRY ’11

Toyota 2011 Joey Logano #20 The Home Depot TOYOTA CAMRY ’11

Chevrolet 2011 Jeff Gordon #24 Drive to End Hunger CHEVROLET IMPALA ’11

Chevrolet 2011 Juan Montoya #42 Target CHEVROLET IMPALA ’11

Ford 2011 AJ Allmendinger #43 Best Buy FORD FUSION ’11

Chevrolet 2011 Jimmie Johnson #48 Lowe’s CHEVROLET IMPALA ’11

Toyota 2011 Brian Vickers #83 Red Bull TOYOTA CAMRY ’11

Chevrolet 2011 Dale Earnhardt Jr. #88 AMP Energy/National Guard CHEVROLET IMPALA ’11

Ford 2011 Carl Edwards #99 Aflac FORD FUSION ’11

- Added the Nissan GT-R N24 Schulze Motor Sports

The Nisssan GT-R N24 Schulze Motor Sports has been added to the car dealer. This is the car entered in the 2011 Nurburgring 24 hour race by Schulze Motorsports of Germany, and is the very car in which Kazunori Yamauchi drove and achieved a class victory.

- Avatar now usable in Photo Travel

An Avatar ON/OFF feature has been added to Photo Travel. Now you can photograph your avatar together with your car.

You can turn the driver avatar ON/OFF by pressing the △ button while positioning the car.

- Replay Fast Forward/Rewind

All replay videos recorded after the 2.0 update will have [Forward] [Rewind] buttons.

You can now easily search for the scene you are looking for and play back a certain section whenever you want to, adding even more fun to the photo mode.

-Improved Online Lounge

[Car Restrictions] has been added in the regulations. You can now limit participants to specific categories such as “NASCAR” and “Super GT”. Also, there are now more cars that can be used in shuffle races, and a new “Shuffle Base” setting allows you to set the performance level of cars allocated to each player.

For details, please see Top screen – [Manual] – [Online Race] – [Event Settings] and the “Regulation Settings”.

- Additional features to Remote Racing

A “Graph Display” has been added to the remote race screen in GT My Home of granturismo.com, where you can enjoy B-Spec racing. This allows you to visually see the changes in positions in each lap. A time difference display for each car in the race has also been added.

- New Photo Stage Added

The “Indy: NASCAR Pit Stop” stage has been added to photo travel. We invite you to come see and capture the energy of NASCAR’s famous pit stops.

- Addition of the Consecutive Login Bonus

When a user logs in consecutively, a bonus will now be applied to experience and race rewards.

It will increase to 110% in the 1st day, 130% in the 2nd day, 150% in the 3rd day, 170% in the 4th, to a maximum of 200% in the 5th day. This will apply to all events both online and offline, so logging in every day will make the game progress faster.

- DLC (Downloadable Content) Compatibility

A [Downloadable Content] button has been added to the lower right of the top screen. Here you can install content purchased from the PlayStation®Store, which will be made available on October 18th.

- Official Support for the G25/G27 Racing Wheels

The Logitech G25 Racing Wheel and G27 Racing Wheel are now officially supported. You can now change button assignments for various racing controls on these wheels.

Other Improvements

- User interface improvement

- Quick Menu can now be accessed while the race is loading.

- It is now possible to save and resume endurance races.

- Two NASCAR cars selectable in Arcade Mode have been changed from the 2010 models to 2011 models.

- In the Arcade Settings of [Options], AI Car Characteristics settings has been added. You can now change the aggressiveness of the AI against you in Arcade races.

- Some effects of Traction Control have been adjusted. When the TCS level is set to 1, it will not come into effect as much especially in tight corners on dirt tracks.

- Surface Water and Tire Load Indicator displays have been added to the race screen. The Tire Load Indicator can be set from the Quick Options menu that is displayed during the race (when the game is paused using the START button), or the standard Options menu.

- The option to Create Thumbnails for All Cars has been added to the context menu of the Garage. This will update the thumbnails of all cars in the garage.

- Experience gained in online races have been increased by 60%, and rewards have been increased by 66%.

- You can now change the Slipstream Strength settings in the lounge.

- In the Lounge and in [Option] – [General] – [Arcade], it is now possible to turn Visible Damage ON or OFF.

- Drivetrain settings has been added to the regulation settings in the Lounge.

- A setting to prohibit “Tuning” of cars has been added to the regulations settings in the Lounge.

- Adjusted the driving speed of formula cars in banks, and auto-drive when coming onto straights.

- Added a button to [Reset Playlist to Original Settings] under the settings menus of [Menu BGM], [Race BGM] and [slideshow BGM].

- Personal BGM can now also be set in [slideshow BGM]

- A new brand “AMG” has been added to the MUSEUM.

Correction of Known Issues

- Corrected an issue where the “Torque Sensing Center Differential” installed on a Lancer Evolution X was not functioning.

- Fixed an issue where you could participate in the Intermediate/Tarmac Rally of the Gran Turismo Rally in a Ferrari F1 by using the power limiter.

- Fixed an issue where the Controller Steering Sensitivity was not applied correctly.

- Fixed an issue where there was a server connection problem in certain network environments.

- Fixed an issue where auto-drive would make braking mistakes.

- Fixed an issue where the system would misjudge whether deceleration happens in time when making pit stops in the rain.

==================================================

NEW DLC coming October 18th as well.

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5-dlc...-francorchamps/

Edited by Ezkaton

That DLC has the black and white stig suits. WIN.

OMG RACING PRIUS YAY FOR ECO NERDS.

Also, isn't dodge supposed to be in NASCAR too?

DLC pack has landed as of this morning.

I plan to run a server this afternoon/evening from about 4:30-5pm (Melbourne/DST time) onwards using the new DLC (as well as normal stuff of course).

If anybody wants to come race, snag the DLC and come try it out. :D

(Assuming we get the cars and don't have to buy them ingame after buying them IRL)

My PSN is SupervillainX

Edited by Ezkaton

For anybody still interested in GT5... it is being updated fairly frequently with new content and updates/fixes.

There's one reported to be incoming on Jan 18th apparently, which looks to be a nice addition to the previous two DLC packs, and other updates.

http://www.gtplanet.net/lamborghini-aventa...5-2-03-details/

GT5′s 2.03 update will be launched on January 18th, and will include a few of the following new changes and features:

New themes for My Home in GT Mode.

An option for tire wearing in Pit Strategy (B-spec).

Simulates regenerative braking on electric cars.

Chaparral 2J Race Car ’70: Fan down force option.

Fixed unintended pit stop error in the final lap of a B-spec race.

12 new colors and 12 new wall papers for My Home theme.

Electric cars run slowly without applying acceleration.

Regenerative braking affects the cruising distance.

New downloadable content packs will, reportedly, also become available. The “Speed Test Pack” will include the new “Special Stage Route X Oval” revealed in the recent Honda NSX Concept video, and Car Pack 3 will include the following new vehicles:

Nissan Leaf G 2011

Aston Martin V12 Vantage 2010

Volkswagen Volkswagen 1200 1966

Jaguar XJR-9 LM Racecar 1988

Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 2011

Mini Mini Cooper S Countryman (R60) 2011

I think there's also the Acura/Honda NSX 2011 concept, but not sure.

Looking forward to the Lamborghini Aventador!

Posted Image

At $35, Gran Turismo 5 is becoming an extremely appealing package for PS3 racing fans with all this extra content and updates/changes/fixes.

The game is finally becoming what it should have been on release.

All it needs now are all the tracks missing from GT2/3/4!

Edited by Ezkaton

Well its been a looooooong time since I have bothered to post on here. Im still loving GT5

The Aventador is a wonderful drive as are a few of the cars that were dlc's. Had a laugh the other day racing on the new 30km oval track with the Vettel cars and 12 of us on track.

I so hope they bring us more of the good old tracks from GT4 as Im missing them including the massive complex string I think it was called. Spa is a real treat to drive and hard in the wet.

Will have to race with you again Ezkaton, and the rest of you.

Yeah I was considering jumping on tonight.

Most of the time I'm on and playing you're nowhere to be seen... :p

Thursday or Friday last week during the day I was on and in a really good server. Played for hours.

I haven't really spent any time with the DLC cars though.

Gave the Aventador a quick bash but no extended driving yet.

Also +1 for more classic tracks, as you know from our in-race babble... haha.

Seems everybody else around here lost interest in GT5 a long time ago.

Shame, as it's continuously being improved with every update.

Yeah I was considering jumping on tonight.

Most of the time I'm on and playing you're nowhere to be seen... :p

Thursday or Friday last week during the day I was on and in a really good server. Played for hours.

I haven't really spent any time with the DLC cars though.

Gave the Aventador a quick bash but no extended driving yet.

Also +1 for more classic tracks, as you know from our in-race babble... haha.

Seems everybody else around here lost interest in GT5 a long time ago.

Shame, as it's continuously being improved with every update.

Ok Mr Ezkaton, next time I get on and you are on or join when Im on I will come for a visit/banter/race with you. Been to long.