SquallStrife

The new Mortal Kombat

Hopefully the game is actually good, above the appearance of any console specific characters. The devs are talking about making it tournament worthy. I hope it is.

Kollectors Editions are revealed...

KOLLECTORS EDITION:

Posted Image

$99.99

- Kollectible figurines of Scorpion and Sub-Zero that double up as video game 'bookends' for your favorite Mortal Kombat games.

- A 110+ page book featuring original concept sketches and game art from the 2011 version of Mortal Kombat.

- Retro-Ninja costume

- Exclusive alternate in-game costume inspired by the original character designs.

- Customize your with Mortal Kombat costumes

TOURNAMENT EDITION:

Posted Image

$149.99

- Mortal Kombat inspired costumes to decorate your avatar

- Mortal Kombat Fight Stick, authentic Suzo Happ arcade parts for the ultimate in performance. view details

- Retro-Ninja costume Exclusive alternate in-game costume inspired by the classic Mortal Kombat character designs.

Presumably all prices are USD... As its straight from the Gamestop website.

If these dont become available in Australia or in the very least the UK (so I can import them.) I'll be pissed.

Midway had a history of being US only for this stuff, Im hoping Warner will have a different policy

Personally I think I'd be going for the Kollectors

Edited by the_13th

I already have 2 arcade sticks, wife might decapitate me (FATALITY!) if I get another.

... so Kollectors edition for me also :) it looks awesome, +1 to Ug Lee's statement that it hopefully being tournament worthy!

The Kollectors and Tournament editions are available :D

Going to pre-order at work. I don't have prices (I don't work until sunday) but I knew we were getting it on thursday.

Remember what they say...?

Don't feed the Tak!

:p

But i'll be all over it like a nasty rash. ^_^

-A-

This is the only game that really makes me want to own a console =D

I'm glad they are getting back to their roots with the violence too!

I was never a fan of the dial-a-combos in Mortal Kombat (also a reason I didn't like Tekken), and the thing that drew people to Mortal Kombat was the violence instead of the actual gameplay (hence why I always liked Street Fighter over MK back in the day).

But I admit I still want this game.

Don't feed the Tak!

Please don't drop my name in a Mortal Kombat thread.

Bwwahahahahaaaa...

We were all thinking it!

;P

-A-

Refused classification

*sadfase*

Yeah I was reading this this morning after a mate tipped me off. The fallout across the webs has been wonderous.

I am mostly looking forward to the moneyhatting interesting changes they make in order to get it classified.

Edited by elfinke

Seriously!? RC?? Any chance they'll do an "AvP" and just chuck it into MA15+, inserting the words "fantastical" and "sci-fi" before the Strong Violence Warning...?

wtf are they gonna cut out? Mortal Kombat needs the blood, gore and fatalities. Without them it's not mortal kombat. I'd honestly prefer the game not get released here than get a censored version.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/02/why-morta...classification/

Why Mortal Kombat Was Refused Classification

retweet9

By Mark Serrels on February 25, 2011 at 3:28 PM

We’ve just gotten a hold of the Classification Board’s report for Mortal Kombat, which states the reasons why the game was Refused Classification in Australia.

According to the report Mortal Kombat “contains violence that exceeds strong in impact and is therefore unsuitable for persons aged under 18 years to play.”

As you’d expect – it was the fatalities that were to blame.

At the conclusion of a bout, a character is invited to perform a ‘finishing move’ or ‘fatality’. To perform a fatality, a player has to push a series of button combinations within a short period of time. If this is successfully accomplished, a non-interactive cut scene is triggered which depicts a character explicitly slaughtering their opponent.

Initially, the Move List Within the game includes one finishing move per character, although a player is able to unlock up to four per character. The Board notes that fatalities cannot be performed in Story mode and are unlikely to be performed frequently during gameplay; however, it is also noted that there are more than 60 fatalities available and they are an important component of the game.

The report then goes on to describe some of the fatalities in detail…

- Stryker tasers his opponents and then explicitly shoots their head off with his gun. Blood and gore is noted.

- Shao Khan uses his hands to explicitly rip an opponent’s body vertically in two

- Kitana uses her ‘folding fan’ weapon to explicitly dismember then decapitate her opponent, with copious blood flow noted.

These fatalities are then cited as being one of the major reasons why Mortal Kombat has been Refused Classification.

The game includes over 60 fatalities (some of which are noted above) which contain explicit depictions of dismemberment, decapitation, disembowelment and other brutal forms of slaughter. Despite the exaggerated conceptual nature of the fatalities and their context within a fighting game set in a fantasy realm, impact is heightened by the use of graphics which are realistically rendered and very detailed. In the opinion of the Board, the game contains violence that exceeds strong in impact and is unsuitable for a minor to see or play. The game should therefore be Refused Classification pursuant to item 1(d) of the computer games table of the National Classification Board.

Oh for fuck sake!!! I'm not really into fighting games anymore but I was actually looking forward to this one. When is this no R18 rating madness going to end?! I'm with SlurmsMackenzie, here's hoping they don't release a censored version here.