tOrtise

1st Laptop ever! Please Help.

First time Laptop buyer… and I’m scared!

I have little laptop knowledge & have had a look around for what I think I need.

Basically I am looking for a gaming laptop that doesn’t cost more than $1500.

This is not the limit, but a figure I am comfortable with, if you think you have a better solution, but it costs more, by all means mention it & why you think it’s worth the extra money. I don’t want to be spending more than $2000 if i can get away with it.

Games I hope to play:

Dawn of War 2

Battlefield Bad Company

Red Dead Redemption

Call of Duty – Black Ops

And hopefully when they come out, Diablo 3 and Space Marine.

This is what I have found, please let me know your thoughts.

I am a little confused as to why its so cheap compared to others I have seen.

As an additional query, can you change the CPUs after purchase... like you would for a desktop?

From MSY.

$ 1299

GX740-247

CPU: Intel Core i5 430M

RAM: 4GB DDR3

HDD: 500GB Hard Disk

Graphics: ATI HD5870M 1GB Dedicated VGA

Screen: 17.3” (1680*1050)

* 3yrs Warranty * WIFI 802.11N * 3 x USB 2.0 * Firewire 1394

* Inbuilt Camera * 9 Cells Batt * eSata

* Bluetooth * HDMI

Free Microsoft NX-8000 Webcam

500gb HDD is heaps.

4GB Memory.... more would be nice, but not essential.

GPU HD5870M, equivalent to a 5770 for a desktop, i am thinking this is one of the better graphic cards for a laptop.

CPU i5 430M, ?? not the bests, but still a very good choice...??

Screen of 17.3" and 1680 x1050.... Good/Good?

Opinions are welcome & much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. 8)

My oppinion? I've been in your shoes before.

You want to game, and you want portable computing.

These do not go well together.

Lets say you buy that laptop (which, yes, is one of the better gaming choices).

At 3.2kg, you wont be carrying it anywhere for long, and even if you did, 1 hour and your battery is dead.

Generalising here; no, besides RAM and HDD, you cannot change anything on a laptop, so you're stuck with that build untill you have more money for a new one.

You'll be playing FPS games; which will suffer monitor input lag (as thats not a concern when building a laptop) a lot of people dont even know what Input Lag is, its not the "response time".

An short; You'll end up with a system that can do both (portable, and game) but neither as well as it could if it were dedicated.

a $1500 PC, and a $250 netbook (officeworks have em atm) will result in a GOOD gaming PC, with upgrade optoins, and a laptop whos battery should last at least 5 hours.

Back when I got my first laptop I went in thinking I wanted a PC. Spent the money, and returned it a month later for a refund.

Netbook + PC; always superior.

But if you must, yes that laptop of probably one of the best you'll get in that price range.

With regards to laptop purchasing there are four qualities; of these you can only pick three: good battery life, low weight (size factors into this as well), fast CPU and GPU, low price.

As for specific models:

Clevo Horize B5130

Core i7-620m, 4GB RAM, GT425M graphics w/ Optimus (better non-gaming battery life), 500GB HDD. Can be upgraded to a 1080p 15" screen and a blu-ray. The GPU is a little underpowered compared to the rest of the machine, but at that price you really can't go wrong.

Have a look at that one and the rest on LBO, there's some good deals there, refurbs in particular.

Edited by HeavyLancer

my laptop has an i5 430m cpu and gt320m gfx, which is not all that crash hot but can run games at minimum settings - and would be noticably slower than a laptop with a gt 425m. so the only let down is the graphics card imo, as the CPU turbo boosts from 2.26ghz to 2.5ghz when running games etc and i find that to be enough.

bearing in mind i use minimum settings; the laptop can run dawn of war II and bad company 2 at native resolution (1366 x 768) really well. best thing about this laptop is it weighs 2.2kg, and for me i lug around a lot heavier items all day so thats no issue, 14" screen and can get over 3 hours on battery while in power saver mode (just web browsing, bit of youtube videos etc.) certainly not as good as a netbook, but it does the job i need it to do.

other games i play, and rather frequently, is left 4 dead 1 & 2, team fortress 2 and starcraft 2. for 800 bucks i was and still am happy with this product.

the clevo horize the guys have recommended looks like quite a good buy. and a 5770 (5870 mobile) graphics card stuffed in to a $1300 notebook sounds just as tempting, but all depends on how you want to use your laptop. you going to cart it around often? going to leave it running on the battery a lot of the time? if you're just getting it to go to lan parties or something, dont worry about weight or battery life.

Edited by alkahest

http://www.logicalblueone.com.au/store/377...jw-a1-asus.html

Intel Core i i7-740QM Processor , 8GB DDR3 (1333Mhz) system memory ,500GB (1x500GB) 7200RPM HDD, Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer , 15.6-inch LED FULL HD (1920x1080) , NVIDIA GTX 460M 1.5GB DDR5 Dedicated Graphics DX11 , 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN, 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN, Bluetooth, Wireless HDMI , Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit Inbuilt WebCam, HD Audio stereo speakers, 1x USB3.0 Port, 3x USB2.0

Brand new in box with Bag and Mouse, Pretty good buy if you ask me the bags and mouse are really good that come with the ASUS laptops. I've got a ASUS back pack that comes with the G53 and G73's and its great for getting stuff around the comfy the mice are either Logitech G500's or Razer mice too.

If your looking to spend a little less you can look at the $1500 version that has a lower res screen less ram and a slightly slower CPU.

Also take note that Intel's Sandy Bridge mobile chips are coming out soon (January/February) - they will have much better integrated graphics, quad cores with integrated graphics and better performance all-round. This will also lower the price of older machines as the retailers try to get rid of old stock.

Graphics wise, check out notebookcheck.net to get game benchmarks and comparisons. It's invaluable if you want to buy a laptop that is capable of doing at least some gaming.

True and the Sandy Bridge mobile chips will be great for the high end units, we have a pre-order on the P151HM1 already

http://www.logicalblueone.com.au/store/405...g-notebook.html

But that is a $1800 machine.

Depends what you have to spend. For $1k you can't beat the Clevo Horize B5130 for overall performance and gaming and a sweet i7-620 processor for good battery + performance.

If you have $2k to spend the G53JW is a good option, the equivalent ASUS sandy bridge won't be around until February.

If you have $3k to spend go with the Clevo X7200 :)

But as the OP pointed out $1500 limit well, i would get the B5130 with a FULL-HD Display, 8GB RAM, 500GB 7200 HDD and still have change, thats a SWEET machine.

How is the battery on the B5130?

Also, on the new Clevo: Full HD screen, GTX460M and Sandy Bridge for under $2000? That's awesome. OP, if you are willing to wait a little while and want a seriously good machine, go for that one.

get a dell XPS 15/17, probably the best all round machine IMO cause it has nvidia optimus on the dual core version and you'd be looking at ~$1600 after 10% racq voucher.

Edited by nesquick

have a look at the asus g73jh:-

- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870.

- i7 qm720 (quadcore 1.6G - 2.8G turbo mode).

- 17.3" screen.

- 8GB ram.

- 64 bit window 7.

and you can find it for between $1500-$2000 online.

Thanks everyone for their input, sorry for not replying sooner, but with work and Christmas time has flown by. I am really thankful for all of you who took the time to give opinions/suggestions.

Battery life & weight are not a concern.

I have had a further look around & with your advice looked at those other suggestions.

I don’t see any real negatives, so I’ll probably get the MSI one…… if I can get time to grab it. lol

Thanks again everyone.

get a dell XPS 15/17, probably the best all round machine IMO cause it has nvidia optimus on the dual core version and you'd be looking at ~$1600 after 10% racq voucher.

+1