Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
anndy

Purchasing a car online

Go to car sales and stick to your state at least, as IMHO it's not worth the effort to go interstate in your search because of simple logistics. I went from Ipswich to the Gold Coast auctions for my car and that's as distant as I was willing to go, you can usually find something within a 200klm radius of a major centre. :)

out of interest how did you find buying a car at an auction? iv heard it can be a mixed bag with what you get.

Go to car sales and stick to your state at least, as IMHO it's not worth the effort to go interstate in your search because of simple logistics. I went from Ipswich to the Gold Coast auctions for my car and that's as distant as I was willing to go, you can usually find something within a 200klm radius of a major centre. :)

out of interest how did you find buying a car at an auction? iv heard it can be a mixed bag with what you get.

The Car Auctions Pacific at Southport is also a car sales yard, so what they do is list their cars for sale for a short period and if they don't sell then they put them under the hammer at their next auction. I brought my Proton before the auction as it was such a good car for the price (low K's, top appearance, one owner, log books) that I did not want to miss out as it may have fetched more than I could afford.

Now because they are also a licenced dealer you get all the protection that goes with that (REVS check, statutory warranty, cooling off period, ect) :)

Only thing I'll add to this is that WA rego works a bit different to NSW rego (from what I hear, I've never owned a car in WA so someone might be able to elaborate).

In WA the if you do a full rego you need to get the car inspected, but then subsequent rego renewals (for three years I think) don't need inspection, so techinically you could be getting a shit box. Like I said I never a registered car in WA, just in NSW, but I've been told there is a difference in the systems. More than welcom for someone to point out the flaw in my understanding if I am incorrect on this (which I think I may be).

Depends.

Fairly sure here you need an inspection on any transfer for a car > 5 years old.

Regardless of that, you've already paid for the car by that stage, so if anything's dodgy, you're the one that wears it.

You're pretty right, if you move a car to WA, even a newish one, it needs to go over the pits to register, but I think it is a lot of years before you need to again, I've certainly never had to.

Cheers

Oh no, he was found within a 25km radius of my post code.. It just happens to be he has 'military training' at a base in WA... eh, oh well.