Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
anndy

Purchasing a car online

Hey guys, first time buying something legitimate online, well a car.

The guy says he's from the RAAF currently training in WA and he's selling a 98 Accord for a very low price; which is why I'm so interested in buying it.

The thing is, he's directed me to a site online which acts as a 3rd party: http://www.au-securepay.com

Has anyone used that site before? Trustworthy? It's not very legitimate to me at the moment, having searched google for "au securepay" and having another site pop up - http://www.securepay.com.au/

*oops, misconception on escrow

Help? :(

Edited by anndy

I've not used them, but have heard of them.

Escrow is when you give the money to an independent party until both you and the seller are happy with the transaction.

Either way, i'd ask to have the car looked over by a mech before you part with any cash. Just ask the seller to meet you at a mechanic of your choosing, get them to give the car the once over, and if you're happy with the report, you just hand over the cash. Or if you're not you can either drop the deal or renegotiate the price.

You can lose money doing it this way, i've lost a few hundred getting cars checked out, but each one ended up having something i'm glad that i avoided. so sure, i lost a few hundred at the time, but it saves losing X0,000's on a car which would have either been a) a lemon, or b) more money than its worth to repair.

I've bought 2 cars online! But both via ebay, and both after careful consideration on how to pay the guy.

One car which I bought interstate, I had a friend who lived there go to the guy's house first and check it out. Once I got the thumbs up I arranged for a truck to pick up the car, and then bank transferred the money into his account. I also had my friend go back again to the guy's house at the time when the truck picked up the car to make sure it all went to plan.

The other time was cash in hand once I checked out the car for myself.

I wouldn't trust a site I've never heard of to handle the money side of it!

*Shrug*

Says on the site that they accept banks, means usually they have been vetted by the banks, which is quite a process.

I've not heard of them but a mate in Sydney runs a similar company and handles all our transactions, or will with the new business, I saw the rigmarole he had to go through to be vetted, the banks have by law to cover any fraud apparently so they are pretty careful.

Cheers

hmm I'd be suss, we bought our last car online (kinda) but went and checked it out and then did up a bank cheque for the seller (even then she was nervous about it for some reason), for small amounts it's no biggie but for larger amounts...?

Mmm true, thanks for the replies.

I would have checked it out physically, but he describes his circumstance as "stationed in WA training for deployment in Afghanistan", so it would be a bit hard to.

Yeah, I'm getting sus. Asking if he could just bring it around and we'll just give him cash.

bahhh it would've been such a bargain :(

I'd not buy a car ever without driving it first and otherwise checking it over for defects.

About the only exception might be where you're buying a wreck for parts or to contribute to a restoration.

Shiny photos mean nothing - for all you know it might have been a near writeoff at some point, and drives like a crab as a result.

True true, that's why I preferred to pay by cash, after we have a day with it to check with it.

Eh first time about hearing the rule about escrow.. Well first time hearing about escrow at all! Ahah thanks guys :)

bahhh it would've been such a bargain :(

That is your first clue "to good to be true". Like others here I would not buy without seeing it first hand, then have it checked by REVS then (for me anyway) the R.A.C.Q. You hear to many bad stories of people losing thousands of dollars buying a car over the net.

I used the net recently to locate a car after some clown wrote off my late wife's car. But I ended up buying off a licenced auction place (2002 proton waja 94k on the clock $5k spotless condition), in the months I have had it all I have done is 2 new front tyres and kitted the clutch master cylinder.

EDIT: did not find the site you listed using google but found this instead, could your site be a rip off of this genuine site ?

Edited by bowiee

I wouldn't trust a company that claims to be VeriSign secured, but doesn't actually use SSL.

Nor one that seems to have a pricing strategy whereby you'd be saving $44.98 by transacting the car at $5001 rather than $5000.

But then again, I'm not you :P

Rob.

whats the R.A.C.Q.?

Hm yeah, I was thinking of just looking at a couple of those used car dealers. Hmm, yes I believe so, I've e-mailed the seller back asking him if we could just pay in cash.

LOL true robzy, though the car is being sold at $3000

Royal Auto Club of Queenland.

3 Grand... you're inheriting someone else's problems anytime you buy a used car, and at that price it's somewhat unrealistic to expect a car to be trouble-free.

IMO it's be worth asking for an RACQ or similar inspection report, even if it jacks up the price by $100.

RACQ they have the same in other states, NRMA (NSW).

IMO it's be worth asking for an RACQ or similar inspection report, even if it jacks up the price by $100.

For sure ! You may still buy it after the report even if it is not so good, but at least you will know what you are buying.

Edited by bowiee

Oooh I see, thanks for all this guys, yeah that's true about the inheriting someone else's problems, but some cases when they're moving overseas or whatever, it seems legit. :S

Yeah, NRMA for me eheheh no wonder I've never heard of the RACQ

Moving overseas is the greatest con going.

Everyone uses that one.

MUST SELL!!!!!

MOVING OVERSEAS IN TWO WEEKS!!!!

I always laugh at them.

Are you going to check?

How can you anyway?

I'm with logic, they all do it.

One of my best friends was done.

A ute on car sales, $21,000 worth, kinda cheap for what it was. He emailed carsales to ask if the ad was legit, they said they thought it was.

The situation was:

The car is in a container in hobart, he lived in QLD and was moving to spain.

The car is real, no lie there.

They used some kind of payment service, but obviously not properly, the initial agreement was a couple of grand deposit, then they drive the ute in the container up here to north tas for him to inspect, then say yay or nay, then recieve his deposit back if he's not happy, or proceed and pay the full amount and he drives the ute away.

He somehow had deposited the whole 21k before seeing the ute, but it was meant to stay with a intermediary party until the decision was made.

the ute showed up on the truck, turns out it had golf-ball hail dents front to back on it.

He said fuck that, sent it back, but even though he didn't sign off on it, his money went to the scammer, who has now left the country and pocketed 21k.

Upon request for the money back, he said the ute is fine, and refused.

The ute was relisted soon after.

It takes super-long for police to sort this stuff out if it's international, it's still not sorted and it's been months.

You may say sucked in, he's stupid, but in reality, he was supposed to be protected, even the escrow or similar system isn't perfect, and people fuck up and give your money away.

Yeah, I was worried the same thing would happen to me Morgoth, I've e-mailed him telling him I'll pay cash, or he can find another buyer.

Eh, the hunt goes on I guess..

Hmm,

I was in a bit of a rush yesterday, more time this am.

Chuck this: http://www.au-securepay.com into whois, it's owned by some mob, and possibly literally that, in Russia....

Had to Google around a bit more but then this came up:

http://escrow-fraud.com/search.php

They are in the list, recently reported.

Best guess, the more normal looking url www.securepay.com.au is legit the other was/is a scam as Robzy suspected.

Then the mention of a hail damaged ute rang bells with respect to WA.

We had a huge hailstorm here earlier in the year, about $1B of damage, mostly cars, still lots of evidence of it on the roads and a lot of cars were paid out then bought back, providing a useful stash of cars that can look ok in a pic but look like they have been shotgunned up closer. There are three out in our car park right now.

So, I'd guess you dodged a bullet, quite a clever one but likely to be short-lived - until the next scam.

Of course at that price, assuming you got it, the repairs might have been worth it, but even if sort of legit it's still deceit by omission if it is hail-damaged.

Smells bad, not worth the risk, sorry I was a bit rushed yesterday.

Cheers

Ahaha nice find chrisg, though he's willing to receive the payment in cash - if I travel all the way to WA to check it out and pay.

I guess it's fair enough. Though it has NSW rego, is he allowed to drive it in WA? I'm still not totally clear on road laws yet :S

Lol nesquick - I'm in Sydney, he's in WA atm.

I'm not sure, should I still buy it? Though I don't think my dad will be up for a trip to WA..

If you are a permanent resident of WA, moved from interstate, you are supposed to get WA registration within, I think it's six months, could be wrong, I moved here ages ago. Most people do, rego is cheaper here than some other states, some forget or are just busy, until annual renewal comes up anyway, there is not a lot of checking on it.

In real terms you are up for quite a bit of cash to come over to check it out, then get it back if you like it, worth it for something of higher value perhaps, I'm looking at the reverse next year, but if it's a car from Melbourne I'll probably get a mate in the business there to look it over for me.

There may be a WA Atomican who would check it out for you, one who knows cars, there are a couple but I won't name names.

I'm in WA but no car expert.

Personally as I said I think it smells, lots of ways, I'd pass it by.

Cheers

Haha yeah, I remembered you were one of the WA atomicans. Yeah, I think I'll just have to forgo this one.

I'm already on the look out for another car ehehe. Thanks for all the info and insight chrisg :)

Go to car sales and stick to your state at least, as IMHO it's not worth the effort to go interstate in your search because of simple logistics. I went from Ipswich to the Gold Coast auctions for my car and that's as distant as I was willing to go, you can usually find something within a 200klm radius of a major centre. :)