Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
hulkster

How much?

I have a bad habit of trying to talk retail sales people down on anything I buy. My wife hates it when I do this. She is the sort of person that will always pay whatever the asking price is for anything.No matter what.

I just came out of Harvey Norman with Fallout,New Vegas under my arm. It has priced at $89. I told the lady at the checkout EB games have it for $84 (I have no idea how much EB games have it for but I tried it on anyways). The cashier spoke to someone and then sold me the game at $84. So I guess I'm $5 better off than I could of been. If I hadn't of got it cheaper I would of walked out without it. Silly I know, but it's something I do :(

My father-in-law also pays full price for everything. back a few years ago he walked into a caryard and paid FULL asking price for a secondhand white AU falcon (Back then around $16,500) I could of killed him!

So do you barter all the time, perhaps only on big dollar items, or do you pay full price for everything you buy?

I buy from the cheapest place from the get go. If another store does a price match, so be it, otherwise I'll grab it. If I don't feel a product is worth the asking price, I just don't buy it.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

I mostly only barter on big ticket items (eg TVs etc), but will look for cheaper prices on games.

Working 3 years at Myer selling electrical goods, I know roughly what the markups are, and what will get you a good price. I also don't feel 'rude' about it, considering the amount of people I've been on the receiving end for :P

That said, if I feel something is worth the money at the asking price, I'll pay it.

The little things I don't mind paying full price for, but when I have to start moving the green notes around then I try and barter a bit eheh

Depending on:

1) How quickly I need it

2) Whether the price is worth the hassle

3) If I know the shop is willing to do discounts

Edited by Oracle X

It really depends. Usually I'd be the same as Cyb3r, I just buy from the cheapest place I can.

With all due respect to your father-in-law, that truly surprised me.

Rob.

I try and look around for the best price on everything, yeah, but generally once I've found something the lust for it is more than my desire to save much money. Though it depends, I generally splurge on CDs/movies/games, but I don't do that on expensive items like hardware or cameras.

So I guess I'm $5 better off than I could of been. If I hadn't of got it cheaper I would of walked out without it. Silly I know, but it's something I do :(

Also, Fallout is $79 at JBHIFI :)

I try and look around for the best price on everything, yeah, but generally once I've found something the lust for it is more than my desire to save much money. Though it depends, I generally splurge on CDs/movies/games, but I don't do that on expensive items like hardware or cameras.

So I guess I'm $5 better off than I could of been. If I hadn't of got it cheaper I would of walked out without it. Silly I know, but it's something I do :(

lol yeah, JB is the first place I go if I want a deal and can't be arsed trolling the internet to find specials.

Sticker price is sucker price!

I'm with you hulkster. Too much time spent in countries where bartering is the order of the day have made me a demon price negotiator. My wife likes it when I do this because of the coin it saves, but she does not like to be present with me when it happens :-)

I sometimes shop around for the best price, but i am impatient and i don't like shopping centers much, too many people! So i generally just pay for it, and don't look back.

Oh and with ebay i can spend hours looking for the best deal, that's fun!

Now that's just being mean! Lol. JBHIFI doesn't exsist in Tassie. Or at least not down here on the North West coast.

I'm Chinese, paying full price is the option of last resort.

Nononono, Indian people can't get along without a bargain, and Chinese people cannot give you a bargain. :-P

"No-oooo. No-oooo. I can't do thirty dollars. I sell you thirty dollars today tomorrow you come I close down."

Edited by Oracle X

I'm hopeless at bartering in the third world. I don't like arguing over amounts of money that amount to a dollar for me whereas it might represent a days food over there.

Back home on the other hand, I'm a motherfucker on the phone. I used to have a job related to audio and video technology, so I would tell the shop where I worked and do a lot of back and forth phone calling. You can knock siginificant percentages off tech gear. I think they were hoping I would open an account with them heh

My dad is tight arsed haggler. He taught me to haggle. And a good point he gave me was, if you don't ask, you don't get. So I just fire it at the handy helper who comes up to me every time. "Can you knock a bit off that?" or "Could you do me a better price?".

If something is about $20. I probably won't ask though. For fear of looking like a tight arse. But if I'm in the mood to be brave....

I'm Chinese, paying full price is the option of last resort.

HOLY CRAP... YOU'RE CHINESE!!

:P

With all due respect to your father-in-law, that truly surprised me.

Rob.

And I. I told him I'd go with him and that was all fine. Then I found out he'd gone up early and just bought it without getting a cent off it.

I couldn't believe it. He said he wanted it and was happy paying the asking price.

Depends on the store.. Hardly normal I ask, even for a small item to the whole dollar. Kmart I take as is. Car yards? Go for it.

These days, unless it's an impulse purchase, I buy most of the stuff I want online.

If it's an impulse buy, it's usually nothing overly expensive (say a new bluray or somesuch) and I just shell over the asking price.

Were I in the market for something large, ie, TV, car etc., then yeah...I go the bargaining.

Edited by hectorbustnuts

I generally search around a bit first to find the better prices for anything that's over $50ish and then take it as is.

Bigger things like Tv's, Home Theatre etc I'll always try to get a few hundred knocked off or other goodies thrown in.

Car Yards is where the real dealing is done. Trading in a 14 year old Hyundai Excel where almost nothing works for $4000 was a highlight.

I negotiate on bigger stuff, hardware and printers and TV's and things. Blu Rays and games and whatnot I spend a few moments comparing my regular vendors and just go to whichever one happens to be cheapest that day.

I hate haggling and I value my time very very highly, so the potential saving has to quite significant for me to bother haggling.

And this thread explains the outrageous markups that everyone complains about !

:P

On big items, like electrical, funiture cars etc, I'll barter on price. I've usually done research before hand and have a feel for the RRP and a reasonable sale price - or know what I will be happy to pay. I've usually already made the decision whether to go bricks and mortar or mail order, or at least what the tipping price is (willing to pay a certain amount as a premium for local sales shop etc and getting it now.

Honesty, Service & timing etc will always get the same too - the shop that does the honest pitch and/or can deliver conveniently. I don't think it's fair to use all the time in the shop that has it on the floor where you can see and touch it, ask all the questions etc, then go down the road to the dodgy service lower prices box mover.

I refuse to play the price matching game, and won't tell a salesman the price I have from elsewhere and ask them to match it.

I ask them to give me their best price, and if it's not the winner, I won't buy from them, and will go back to the best place, or give up buying locally and buy online.

I got tired of lazy salespeople who didn't want to gamble, and then expected to get the sale for simply offering the same deal someone else had offered simply because you are there and it's easier than you driving back the the good store - or they had nothing to loose because they simply said, I can't do that and walked away.