RSB

6950/6970 cf eyefinity vs 570 sli 2d surround

Anyone have any ideas or can link to any reviews as yet on the performance of 6950/6970 crossfire eyefinity vs gtx 570 sli 2d surround?

The 2gb frame buffers on the 69xx cards suggest they can better handle extreme resolutions but reviews generally seem to say the 6970 performs about equal to the gtx 570 at single monitor resolutions.

The pricing just adds to the confusion of deciding.

if it were a single card probably the 6970, since you want multi cards go SLI simply because it just works without all the CF bugs.

is it going to be running on the machine in your sig? or are you planning a new build?

Edited by nesquick

The new vcards will not be going in my current system which I believe is even limiting the gtx 275 in it.

Still awaiting my parts order to be processed.

New system parts:

i7 950, silver arrow, ga-x58a-ud3r rev2, corsair 3x2GB 7-8-7-20, tx950, haf x, 2 x 1tb samsung f3 hd103sj, 120gb ocz vertex 2 e series 2.5" ssd, xonar essence stx, bdr-205 (already have), existing 2 x 16:10 sig monitors with probably the addition of a samsung 2443bw+ (dismissed the idea of a 120hz centre screen as there would be aspect ratio differences with my existing monitors)

Edited by RSB

Anyone have any ideas or can link to any reviews as yet on the performance of 6950/6970 crossfire eyefinity vs gtx 570 sli 2d surround?

Check this one out http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1084...ity-vs-sli.html

Second graph is CF vs SLI in multi monitor setup. Next page shows some games in 3way SLI/CF setups on multi monitor setup.

Edited by mark84

Hey thanks for the link mark.

I'd be only looking at getting two vcards max. However, if those crysis warhead and bfbc2 benches can be interpreted as scaled performance of two cards combined with the f1 2010 figures and considering minimum framerates at 5760x1080, then it looks like theres one win to the 570 sli in crysis warhead, one win to the 6950/6970 crossfire in f1 2010 and somewhat of a draw in bfbc2. Considering this and the gtx 570's generally as good as 6970 performance in 1920x1080 res and the apparently better cooling and sli to crossfire noise levels, it seems things may be swinging slightly in nvidia's favour for my system setup yet again. Additional info would always be useful of course.

Edited by RSB