jdog

getting my i7 System Finally!

Sorry for sounding like an arse, but you ask advice then tell everyone you ordered what you want without considering the advice given.

udr3 and an SSD is a smart choice, if not waiting for sandy

Sorry for sounding like an arse, but you ask advice then tell everyone you ordered what you want without considering the advice given.

udr3 and an SSD is a smart choice, if not waiting for sandy

Waiting for Sandy Bridge is the main one here, while not as significan't as netburst>core or core>nehalem its worth getting cause they seem to go like the clappers.

Well, now the gear is ordered, maybe we can all have a little rest.

Nearly 2,000 posts since April.

That said, it should be a wicked little rig. When I was your age, I had a Commodore 64.

That's quite a few :P I've been on here longer, but haven't broken 1k yet (I think)

It will be an awesome rig

When I was 18, the guts of my system were similar to what I have now, but instead of the HD 4850's in CrossfireX and the 1080P monitor, I had a HD 4670 and me trusty old Samsung 172X (That thing can do the splits, honestly!!!)

That's quite a few :P I've been on here longer, but haven't broken 1k yet (I think)

It will be an awesome rig

When I was 18, the guts of my system were similar to what I have now, but instead of the HD 4850's in CrossfireX and the 1080P monitor, I had a HD 4670 and me trusty old Samsung 172X (That thing can do the splits, honestly!!!)

I had that monitor before I got my Dell 24" 2408wfp ultrasharp wangly IPS panel.

Very solid 17" LCD that Samsung was

EDIT:stop it!

i was expecting you guys to say,good on you and well done etc but instead you paying me out?

Here you go then.

Well done. After countless threads, posts in other threads, all asking for advice, you still didn't listen to a word anyone said.

Now you're paying for parts you don't need and missing out on the parts you could get that would actually give you a performance boost.

Don't mind the fact that countless people have spent shit loads of time answering your tedious, repetitive questions about what gear to get when you don't even bother to take the advice. You're one of the worst things a system builder comes across and I hope you blow up your PC with your stupidity.

I'm done with trying to help you, because you don't listen to anything anyone says anyway.

Good luck.

whoa...nuke

that hurt a little bit.

i ask people for advice and then when i dont take some of thier advice people get unhappy? what?

we all make stupid decisions and do dumb things,if this is stupid,then i learnt my lesson.

so becuase i can still change it tommrow i will drop down to a UD3R and get a SSD.

so people,we still friends?

Edited by jdog

so finally after months of going back anf forth,yes and no,budgets up and down its finally happening!

im getting a i7 system!

ordered and im paying in the next few days!

Probably should have waited for SB. New enthusiast platform is out late next year supposedly, but Sandy Bridge will be faster than Nehalem

Specs are as follows:

i7 950

gigabyte X58A-UD7 (rev 2) Why? X58A-UD3R or at most X58A-UD5 is giving you the same performance and features you'll use anyway.

6GB Corsair XMS 1600mhz

GTX 460 SOC (while waiting for GTX 580 to come in stock,put my name down)

Coolermaster HAF X

Corsair HX850 (maybe pay $60 more and get HX1000w or $156 and get the AX1200w) Complete overkill. You can run an overclocked i7 930, overclocked 5970, GTX 275 running PhysX, 4 HDDs, SSD, etc on a Corsair HX650.

1TB WD HDD (FAEX)

liteon DVDRW

and i may add the new BenQ 23.6' 3D monitor

I recommend you get an SSD, it's a worthwhile upgrade and you will see the difference from this.

Edited by hulk

yes,it will maybe..

but at what cost?

going for the latest and greatest isnt always the best idea.

whoa...nuke

that hurt a little bit.

i ask people for advice and then when i dont take some of thier advice people get unhappy? what?

we all make stupid decisions and do dumb things,if this is stupid,then i learnt my lesson.

so becuase i can still change it tommrow i will drop down to a UD3R and get a SSD.

I think you just need to think long and hard about what your going to spend the money on because once its gone theres no going back, is LGA1366 what you really need? would a 6 core phenom or i5 760 not be better bang for buck kind of thing.

I normally see the purpose of these build threads as Open to Criticism.

And by saying that: If you stated you wanted X, and for a while (given time and effort many people have offered you) tell you to get Y, and you stick with X and post a new thread about it - this is to be expected buddy :( And it can be very annoying for people when, given their vast knowledge, is trying to help someone that doesn't seem to listen. Not pointing the fault finger at anyone here, just saying it the way I see it.

my advice would have been similar... use what you got and wait for Sandy bridge to come out. It isn't the end of the world, the technology can only improve with time too. so there's no harm in waiting.

whoa...nuke

that hurt a little bit.

No, you didn't take any advice.

so ive come to my senses and have changed the motherboard to the X58A-UD3R

so im happy now.

we all friends now?

so ive come to my senses and have changed the motherboard to the X58A-UD3R

so im happy now.

we all friends now?

Wait for SandyBridge, seriously, just take a step back, I7 has been out since 2008 its worth waiting for the new chips that overclock heaps better (K series), run cooler, run faster and will probably be roughly the same price.

also get 2 GTX570's much better option than 1 GTX580.

Edited by nesquick

that is true but how does sandy do it apps like 3ds max,photoshop,maya etc?

if its good then i will tell them tommrow to change the order to a i7 2600k and a p67A-UD7 and 8GB of DDR3.

and keep everything the same.

EDIT: I locked everything in so i cant change it now.

Edited by jdog

if its good then i will tell them tommrow to change the order to a i7 2600k and a p67A-UD7 and 8GB of DDR3.

Can't see it being any worse than an i7 950, they are supposed to be faster and clock higher than i7 chips.

Can't see it being any worse than an i7 950, they are supposed to be faster and clock higher than i7 chips.

yea its meant to be 7-15% faster clock for clock, well that was preliminary testing with no turbo modes and engineering sample boards 4 months ago.

check the sandy bridge thread in CPU's some people around the net have gotten over 5ghz on air with the K series chips.

Jdog, we are still friends. Everyone is advising you, because it is pointless spending much more for a UD7, when you could save money, or spend it elsewhere, because you aren't going to be using many features that this board has.

I'm with the rest of the guys. Sandy is around the corner, unless you are in some sort of urgency, wait for it.

well i ordered and its locked in so i cant change it anymore.

anyway,im paying for it tommrow so thanks guys for all your help and all and i will post pictures when i get it.

once again thanks.

sandys still on the rader....for another time

Edited by jdog

well i ordered and its locked in so i cant change it anymore.

anyway,im paying for it tommrow so thanks guys for all your help and all and i will post pictures when i get it.

once again thanks.

but you listened to nothing apart from changing the board, saying thanks is like throwing washing powder in someones eyes and saying thanks for putting up with the pain while I now go and fuck you in the arse as thanks for all the constructive advice you gave but was never listened to.

anyway I hope you enjoy it, for the ~10 days its top dog, can't wait to get a SandyBridge 2600K, 2 GTX570 SLI and SSD in the next 2 weeks.

hey,tech moves so fast you can never keep up!

anyway i will!

and i will look into sandy bridge later on...

Not worth it

i7 (X58) to Sandy Bridge is not really that much of an upgrade, but upgrading to the X68 gear should be

After reading your "Happy birthday to the editor thread", I noted that you "fell in love" with the UD7. People will always buy gear they like, just like those that have bought the Asus Ares and the XFX epic gun version

Though I think the UD7 is way overpriced (as are those 2 cards), I wouldn't care if you got it (I wouldn't buy it, but that doesn't matter). They are sweet items, no doubt about it

If one can afford it, go ahead. Though, even when I can afford stuff, I try not to go overboard (hence my cheapo AMD system :P)

Jdog said to me yonks ago, "I'd really love to own that UD7 one day". Now that he has the chance to, he's taken it

If it had not been for that, I'd be saying the same as what the others have said, go the UD3R and get an SSD now

Edited by nobody813

oh wow, sandy bridge is due out in t minus 2 weeks? i might be able to get my new pc sooner then i thought! any news on the amd version? bulldozer?