jdog

getting my i7 System Finally!

yeah as HX850

funny thing is i said when i got it that i want to do SLI 580's later and they said aleast a 1100w PSU is needed!

but i can run it off this one!

sales people are funny types..

Just like Dell who said quad cores necessary if you ran multiple apps, like email and an internet browser at the same time!!!

I'm running my dual GTX480s and 1.4v i7 930 off a HX850, they'd just be going off what Nvidia recommends.

Why is the 460 wobbling? Where did you put the thumbscrew? Inbetween the dual slots or above the card? I know the PCI Brackets are a pain in the ass on the HAF X, I had to kinda bend them in a little bit to get the fucking screws in. Tight as a Nun's nasty now though.

i put it in the 2nd PCIE slot and removed 2 of the back covers,the screws are in (and screwed tight) but it still moves only if i touch it other then that its fine.

ill take a pic to show you later.

EDIT: heres two pictures to maybe get a better idea of what the issue is:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by jdog

DAMM!

so i rang them up saying that im missing the PSU cover and the VGA cooler (it should be included) (which im not going to use maybe but would still like it) and they didnt know what i meant (its PRINTED ON THE BOX!!) so ill have to send it back.ill also say nicely that the cables are messy and ask them do redo it.

will update once i get this done!

bugger! and i really wanted to fire this thing up!!

Edited by jdog

well no,but its meant to be there so it would be nice to have it.

and yes i could of (or you guys could of) but the folks wanted warranty and support...

Edited by jdog

yeah i know that.

its the folks that think its worth something!

but hey, i did get $300 of store credit when i picked it up....cool kinda.

That store is a joke, no offense to you, but that's pathetic of them, crap assembly quality on their part.

You could remove about half of those cables.

Do you actually plan on using front panel USB3 in the forseeable future? What about hot swappable SATA drives?

Looks like they've just gone and plugged everything in for the sake of it and then cable tied it all together for "neatness"

Why didn't they use the 12v ATX 8 pin extension cable that COMES WITH the case? Its kind of neat running it up behind the GPU, but even neater running it around the back of the tray.

Did they attach the wheels? Or even give them to you to attach them if you want?

You're missing half of the features of the case in its current state from what I can tell.

I'd like to know who did that build so I could see his home PC, thats trash. I'd be demanding a full refund on the build fee as that is terrible quality, you could do it better yourself.

Fuck the build warranty, if it dies all they're going to do is RMA your shit like you would be able to do in the first place, every part is under a full 12 month warranty.

Ask them to dismantle it and put it all back in its boxes, then build it yourself.

Did they give you the bag of modular connections for the PSU?

Should be like 2-3 molex, 2-3 sata and 4 extra PCI-e cables.

yeah i got all the extra PSU cables in a bag.and it did come with the VGA holder thing and the top drive bay cover (nothing else case wise)

ill take a pic to show you.

if i can do that then i will becuase im unhappy in the way it is its not a good build. things are missing,cables are put in for the sake of it and its just rubbish.

and no i wont use the USB cables for a while so i dont need them hanging out the back either.

im asking for a refund (on the build fee) and getting my money back.

leason learned: NEVER get a computer shop to build a system for you! (well this one anyway)

Warning to others: dont get computer Alliance to build your system - they suck!

Edited by jdog

Jdog, I'm assuming you're around my age (18/19?), so from one dumb teenager to another, here's some advice.

Reading your responses has frustrated me quite a lot, it's good that you're enthusiastic and seeking advice, but what's the point if you're going to ignore what you're told? Everyone here giving you advice is almost guaranteed to know better than you. They've got years of experience. They're taking time to give you free advice, take it and be grateful.

The fine people of this forum have given me specs for 3 systems, and having just assembled my latest one today, they've got a 100% success rate thus far.

Also congrats on your new (and judging by what i've read, long awaited) PC, hopefully it all gets sorted promptly.

jdog, the only thing computer alliance are cheap on are 'odd bits' (ITX cases etc.) Everything else can be beaten by umart.

Everything comes new in a box, you unpack and plug in.

And if anything dies? Walk back into umart, they test it on the spot, and replace it if its fucked. As opposed to computer alliance, who will want the WHOLE pc back if one part breaks ><

I built my first PC at 15? 16?, from scratch, all parts from Global Business Solutions. These days things only plug in one place, you cant go wrong.

While I understand everyones family situation is different, tell the parents to bugger off, its your money, you're going to build it!

If it broke, would you trust them to fix it? ffs.

i work at a computer shop on weekends and i put more time into making it neat and routing the cables than i do on my own rig.

i would be embaressed to put my stores name to it.

just curious how much was it for them to build it ?

remember to be polite and not be cocky and agro when you take it back to them, if customers do that to me or raise their voice i ask them to leave and take it up with fair trading or whoever gives a shit.

just say it doesnt look neat and proffesionally built.

ask them to re-do it or give store credit for the build price, dont let them do it in 5 minutes while you wait tell them you want it done nice and neat and will inspect it upon picking it up.

i will take your advice AMD Akimbo as it is the right thing to do.

@MS: i would build it but the only thing is they (my folks) want support and warranty (kinda like what dell does) and also if say something goes wrong i can ring them up and say ive got issue xyz can you fix it?

also im not to savvy on installing motherboards either (but i can do everything else)

so tommrow when i return it im going to say pretty much what AMD Akimbo's saying.

hopefully after that everything will be fine and i will get this up and running!

Edited by jdog

You don't know how to screw in 9 screws? Come on man! How are you going to get the experience? Its cheaper to fix your own shit in the long run, what are you going to do in 12 months when the warranty runs out? If you plan on getting into computers for a hobby or as a professional, this is the kind of stuff you need to learn.

I don't know what your parents are like, but I'd atleast be explaining to them the reasons for why you prefer to build your own systems.

When it comes down to it, I don't think I'd trust the advice of someone who can't even do proper cable management anyway.

But I guess its too late to build it yourself now anyway, so just go in there and ask for them to redo the build or (preferably) credit you for the build fee, then re-rout all the cables yourself.

You don't know how to screw in 9 screws? Come on man! How are you going to get the experience? Its cheaper to fix your own shit in the long run, what are you going to do in 12 months when the warranty runs out? If you plan on getting into computers for a hobby or as a professional, this is the kind of stuff you need to learn.

I don't know what your parents are like, but I'd atleast be explaining to them the reasons for why you prefer to build your own systems.

When it comes down to it, I don't think I'd trust the advice of someone who can't even do proper cable management anyway.

But I guess its too late to build it yourself now anyway, so just go in there and ask for them to redo the build or (preferably) credit you for the build fee, then re-rout all the cables yourself.

well yeah i know how to put screws only ive never done it before (so i need to learn) might be a good idea to take apart then put back together the backup rig..

store credit would be a better opition (i already have $300 SC with them anyway (dont ask how i got it i just did) so another how ever much the build fee is (i think it was $200 (bulid+warranty etc) ) wouldnt be bad...

and the warranty is 3 years (so they say) so that is good and bad as well. i just hope when i get my 580 (and a 2nd one later) they dont say i need a 1100w aleast other wise the warranty is void (they may i dont know)

Edited by jdog

and before i go and give it back tommrow is there anything i am missing?

this is PC (as is i didnt add anything except the GPU)

Posted Image

and this is whats in the box:

Posted Image

Posted Image

so anything missing?

thanks for all the help guys.

See that 8 pin extension cable?(The yellow and black one) Tell them to use it so they can rout the 8 pin 12v ATX behind the mobo tray.

But yeah, apart from the missing psu cover and the gpu fan shroud thingo, it all seems to be there.

I'd be spending that store credit on a cpu heatsink and a fan controller if I were you.

Does adding in extra things (like an aftermarket cooler for example) void the warranty?

I can't help but feel that you have been ripped on all this and you really need to try to explain to your parents the benefits of building and looking after a custom rig such as that yourself.

If they want warranties and support, they won't get anywhere near the level that Dell gives.

See that 8 pin extension cable?(The yellow and black one) Tell them to use it so they can rout the 8 pin 12v ATX behind the mobo tray.

But yeah, apart from the missing psu cover and the gpu fan shroud thingo, it all seems to be there.

I'd be spending that store credit on a cpu heatsink and a fan controller if I were you.

Does adding in extra things (like an aftermarket cooler for example) void the warranty?

I can't help but feel that you have been ripped on all this and you really need to try to explain to your parents the benefits of building and looking after a custom rig such as that yourself.

If they want warranties and support, they won't get anywhere near the level that Dell gives.

as far as i know,no installing a aftermarket heatsink doesnt void the warranty

and what CPU heatsink and fan controller (do i really need one?) should i get? im thinking something like the noctula NH14 coooler (ill have to order it in,as they dont stock it)

yeah i really think i have been riped off too..

leason learned: build it your own!

Edited by jdog

Fan controllers are handy, you don't always need to run your fans at full speed depending on the weather and its nice and easy to set the speeds on them with a fan controller.

Plus the rear 140mm fan and the 20cm fans can be a bit noisy. They also look good :P

As for a cooler, if you're going to spend in the realms of $100~ I'd be tempted to go for the Corsair H50, its a nice looking cooler, easy to install etc.

But thats just me,