jdog

getting my i7 System Finally!

if you get a Nocuta D14 you wont need a fan controller as the noctua fans are dead quiet. case fans however.... doesnt the hafx come with a fan controller switch thingy similar to some antec cases?

yeah your right about that,

so what is a good,decent one to get? (thats black so it will fit in?)

as for cooler im leaning toward the noctula becuase even though its a little bit more then $100 its a decent cooler and its air so i dont have to worry about possiable leaks or anything,plus it produces very little noise as well.

only downside is its not black...

but they do stock the h70 @ $169...

decisions,decisions..

Edit: @tunsky: as far as i know it doesnt come with any kind of fan controller. as for the NH14 the low noise output is another reason im looking at it.

Edited by jdog

ill look into that.

it would look cool in the case too.

whats a good fan controller to go with it?

Edited by jdog

Two 580's wont stress an AX850 too hard. I'd go a 1Kw to play safe, to allow for if one day you delve into higher voltage tinkering, which dramatically increases draw.

Two 580's wont stress an AX850 too hard. I'd go a 1Kw to play safe, to allow for if one day you delve into higher voltage tinkering, which dramatically increases draw.

my PSU is a HX850w,but yes when i get a another 580 later in the year (once i finally get the first one!) i will look into getting a 1kw

PSU.

will be sending the rig back on monday so that i can get the missing bits and they can redo the cable and give me the build fee in store credit.

Edited by jdog

Yep, i'd strip that PC back to components mate, after you get it back.

Take some pics and label everything so you know where it should all plug in, and pull it to bits.

Spend as many hours as you can, in your room with the door shut (so the olds don't know) and slowly put it back together, routing all those cables properly. You will really feel like an atomican after actually doing yourself. You cant really screw anything up, its too easy.

You'll still have your warranty, a store like that wont have a clue that you have re-done it mate.

+1 just grab some decent fans for the push pull mod and it performs the same as the H70

Dont see how it can perform as good as a h70 because the h70 has a thicker rad than the h50 but it would still perform really good.

Edited by brissmas

Hey Jdog don’t be scared of putting a computer together man! I started when I was 7 and it’s addictively fun. Back in those days everything was done with jumpers on the motherboard (bus, multi, voltage) so it was really easy to kill parts but these days it’s all too easy. Don’t force anything, read your manuals, be gentle, be wary of static - I've never fried anything myself but many horror stories compel me to ground myself before starting, really though these days everything only fits one way in one place so you can’t really go wrong.

It’s the bois settings that can catch people up. Not in the sense that it won’t work but more that to ensure maximum performance you need to review what all your hardware is capable of and make sure it’s all set properly.... and maybe overclock a little? although be wary of it on someone else's warranty, I wouldn’t alter voltage but as long as you make sure to do a bios reset before you return it FSB/Multi ocing is really hard to track down and almost impossible to fry your system from.

Edited by UberPenguin

after i get it back (im sending it back on monday) once everything is done (to a professionally built level) then i may but it back together otherwise if i can get store credit ill order in the NH14 cooler (as the H70 is too loud) and maybe a fan controller.

@uberpenguin: im not scared its just little bits and peices im not to sure on (and im not savvy with installing mobos,but i do know how to plug everything in)

after i get it back (im sending it back on monday) once everything is done (to a professionally built level) then i may but it back together otherwise if i can get store credit ill order in the NH14 cooler (as the H70 is too loud) and maybe a fan controller.

@uberpenguin: im not scared its just little bits and peices im not to sure on (and im not savvy with installing mobos,but i do know how to plug everything in)

Its entirely possible to change the fans on the H50/70 if you want. They wouldn't be any louder than your case fans anyway.

oh...i see!

but i dont really want to thats why ill order NH14 (if i can order it in) if not then ill grab the H70! (depends on how much store credit i get for the build fee)

EDIT: Screw cable mangement and the missing bits,im going to fire this thing up!

ill do those things later.

Edited by jdog

ill fire it up tonight and try doing the cables tommrow.

I wrote a massive response just now, but I'm tanked right now (saturday night) so my first response was probably alot of dribble. I'll be more to the point.

Let's be honest, this "professional assembly" from Alliance looks completely shit. It is fucking terrible.

There are cables everywhere; that could be going through the holes supplied by the case FOR CABLE MANAGEMENT, but it seems they opted to take the fast route and just connect it up, as inefficiently as possible, so that you could get it, turn it on, and everything would work.

We all know that the main reason for cable management options in a case is to create optimal airflow through the case. This work by Alliance shows that they actually don't give a damn about what you want, or attention to detail.

You just spent a fuckton of money at their store, and even paid for assembly, the least they could do is provide a decent job. Their work here is unprofessional.

What I would suggest is that you take the rig back to Alliance, and tell them that what they have done is unacceptable. Of course be respectful and friendly about it. I know it sounds like a pompous thing to do but it is completely necessary. As Nuke said, you have been completely ripped off here.

Go to Alliance, and show them the job they did. Explain to them that you paid them to route the cables in an efficient manner, and even point out the way you may have done it, or will do it yourself. Either tell them that you would like them to improve the way the cables are routed, or ask that they rebox the gear, and that you will take the price paid for them to do cable management as store credit.

I understand that you may be younger, but if you bought this computer with your own money, you should explain to your parents that it is your responsibility, and your freedom to spend your money as you please. I am sure they will understand.

It is also your responsibilty to make sure you get what you wanted, or as close to it as possible. Please take everybody's advice on board, and speak with Alliance about a compromise. You should try to get what you paid for.

Cheers

thanks for the comment rootsy,it is very true

thats what im going to do today or monday.

ill take it back and say what others have said.

and i pluged it in last night to see if it works and heard a loud grinding noise,guess what it was? it was the USB 3 cables (which i wont use yet) rubbing accross the stock heatsink obstructing it,thus creating the noise.

if there was a example of shit cable mangement this would be a prime example.

ill try and get store credit from this so i can get a heatsink (il order the Nh14 in if i can)

Edited by jdog

Update: So i rang them up just then and told them that the 2 bits are missing (the PSU cover and the VGA fan duct) and that the USB 3 Cables are hitting the heatsink.

so they said that they will look into the those missing bits and that i should bring it in for them to check out (as expected) also i asked about the cables and they said that i can redo them and it wont void the warranty (yay)

question is: should i redo the cables myself or ask for them to redo the cables and ask for the build fee back? (thus gaining store credit)

Edited by jdog

Ask for the build fee back and do them yourself. If they tell you they cant do that, tell them to rebox the whole thing because you're not happy with it and build it yourself.

thats a very smart move,

thanks nukey!

(due to rain in brisbane i might no be able to get this to them today or tommrow,depends on weather)

Edited by jdog

Lol I dont think your going anywhere Jdog.

South bank was evacuated.

Edited by mudg3

looks like it.

thanks for the info mudg3.

and im in the wynumm/manly area (im near wear MS lives) its not flooded (yet)

Edited by jdog

UPDATE: So becuase the floods have died down (in some areas) i can go over there and take it back.

im going over there at 9am tommrow.

but after firing it up yesterday i hit a snag. I think one (or all,i havent tested all of them) of the PCI_E slots may not work.

screen works (tested on another system) and the card works (tested in backup system)

but when i turn it on no image appears..

also they finally have the GTX 580's in stock! $695 for the gigabyte and $735 for asus...

hopefully will get this fixed and working soon and ready to do some benchies!

Edited by jdog

User error, you have the GPU in the pci-e 8x slot. Wont boot with it in there, put it in the 16x slot and it will boot.

Also why are you taking it back? Can't you just call them and ask if they're going to refund the build fee or whatever? I'm going to guess they won't do that, so you may aswell do the cable management yourself.

ok. dude. Just stop.

Ask for the build back , ebca use its unprofessional. Then go home, take it 100% apart and fucking build it right. Its not hard. And believe it or not, the manuals on PC gear DO guide you through.