Sign in to follow this  
Sasquatch972

1 core 10 degrees hotter than others

hi guys ive just recently overclocked my Q6600 to 3ghz and allthough it runs perfectly stable one core has got me worried as it tends to run about 10 degrees hotter, i have thought that it may be the poor airflow in my case but the other 3 cores tend to sit around 35 degrees while the 4th sits at about 45-47! im running a red scorpion 120mm cpu cooler (been very happy with it so far)but could lapping it help? just looking for some suggestions please

thanks

My i7, the cores can be 7-10C difference, usually moreso at idle

Realtemp this session.

minimum 29/22/29/21

Max 52/47/53/46.

I always have core 2 and 4 colder than the rest, 4th always being colder.

I don't question it, if you are worried, a re-seat of cooler should fix it, if it wasn't quite flush

thanks guys was just getting abit worried thats all, ill give re seating it a go... and maybe some minor lapping while i have the cooler off... will need some new thermal paste though, any suggestions on a good one to get?

I wouldn't lap unless something is really wrong.

One good thermal paste is Arctic Silver 5, it's old but does well.

Arctic Ceramique is also good. As is the Noctua NT-H1 stuff. No curing time.

As for your temps, its fairly normal and there's usually 3 different causes for it, all which have been stated above.

1. More load on a certain core, causing abnormal temp discrepancies.

2. Bad Thermal Paste spread, meaning 1 part of the chip is dissipating its heat to the heat sink as well as the others.

3. Temp probes out of whack (usually the most common in my experience, all my chips have had 1 or 2 cores hotter than the rest when at 0% load)

Edited by nukejockey

I've got a Q6600 at 3Ghz as well, core 1 generally sits a bit hotter than the rest at all times. I think the difference for me is more like 5 degrees but i'll have a look tonight when i'm home.

Edit: Actually my 1st and second cores are marginally warmer at idle right now, between 1 to 3 degrees hotter than cores 3 and 4 using CoreTemp and RealTemp.

Edited by martyr

i have just found that using Real temp it shows core 4 to be about 10 or so degrees hotter than the rest, when i downloaded speedfan it shows all 4 cores to be within 3 degrees of each other, example with Real temp : 50 50 47 61 Speedfan: 50 51 47 51..... (warm day today in melbourne)

which one do i belive? lol

i bought some arctic silver 5 and put that on with the cooler reseated and it seems to have not made much if any of a differnce... maybe 1 or 2 degrees

ok now running prime 95 i get 3 differnt readings on 3 differnt programs Speedfan 74 74 71 71

real temp 74 74 71 81 and core temp 70 70 67 67 any suggestions as to what the most accurate program is?

I use CoreTemp for CPU temps, as far as I know it is one of the more accurate apps.....those temps are normal, I always find a 6-8c difference in core temps

atm my temps are:

42-40-40-36