Sign in to follow this  
PseudoMuso

Contemplating a GPU Upgrade

Currently have a 9600GT in my 2nd PC. Have been thinking about upgrading to maybe a GTX285. Foxcomp has them listed for $179 (RRP apparently $499)..

Wise investment? Thoughts?

No

The GTX 285 was once the best Nvidia Geforce you could buy. That was a while ago

It has been replaced twice since then, first by the GTX 480, and more recently by the GTX 580

These cards offer DirectX 11 support (the GTX 285 is only DirectX 10), as well as around twice (possibly more) the processing power

Of these, the GTX 580 is the one to get

However, these are quiet expensive

Nvidia's current mainstream card, the GTX 460, offers around the same performance as the GTX 285, while still supporting DirectX 11, and using less power. In my opinion, it is the best value card on the market

You can get these GTX 460's pretty cheaply too, some stores have them around the same price as that GTX 285

If it were this time last year, a GTX 285 for $179 would have been awesome

If you can get a GTX 460 around that price (the 1GB cards especially), I'd go for that

Hope that helps PseudoMuso

Edited by nobody813

Could probably find these cheaper but PC Case Gear is my shop of choice so ill just post links to there cheapest GTX 460 models. The GTX 460 is a much better option as stated.

768mb Version GTX 460 $159

1gb Version GTX 460 $189

Edited by brissmas

And for some reason no one has mentioned dropping Nvidia completely and getting AMD, If you can go a few dollars more then these would be a better choice IMHO.

Club 3D HD5850 1G GDDR5 PCIE 2D HDMI Internet Price: $219.00

Sapphire HD6850 1G GDDR5 PCIE HDMI DP Internet Price: $210.00

Sapphire ATI HD5770 Vapor-X OC Ed 1G GDDR5 PCI-E Internet Price: $165.00

Yeah Agreed, don't need to stay with the green team, the above cards are alright, I'd steer clear of the 5770 though, bit too underpowered for most games these days!

Cheers.

Yeah Agreed, don't need to stay with the green team, the above cards are alright, I'd steer clear of the 5770 though, bit too underpowered for most games these days!

Cheers.

Isn't the HD5770 a crippled HD5870?

Cheers.

Isn't the HD5770 a crippled HD5870?

no its half a 5870, way more than just crippled.

Cheers.

Yea I only included the 5770 because of his small budget, which is also why I listed it last. :)

for around that money I would be looking at a GTX460 or a 6850 or this 5850 from umart

http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listn...2&sid=67743

Silly I already linked to that in my above post ;)

The 5770 isn't a bad choice if you're not into top tier gaming. Otherwise, if you want middle tier gaming, then the GTX 460 or the HD 6850 can be awesome alternatives. :)

+1 for GTX 460

great card! (but get the 1GB version)