Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
hulkster

Only a few days to go!

For the last few years I've been managing retail stores and xmas time was always our crazy time. We looked forward/hated the week before the big day.

This year I'm still a retail Manager but in a totally different area. My week before xmas this time round is a hell of a lot different to what I am use to. This time I'm finding myself slowing down to a crawl. Customers and quotes few and far between, and I must say it's a awesome change. No stress, no customer related dramas, just a nice slow week.

What about you?

Currently "on holiday" at my sister's place. In reality, this means I get to dodge her and hubby's arguments and subsequent sulks, try desperately to ignore three TVs blaring on different channels to nobody watching, and enjoy the niece when she isn't being an attention whore.

Kinda looking forward to the new year, really.

Winding up? Everyone wants everyone done in bloody hurry here ... bloody normal for this place. Only seems to happen when they realise the year is going to end. No, this isn't the customers ... it's just the staff.

Edited by Jeruselem

:)

Setting up a new business, going into test mode first week of 2011 - nup, Christmas as usual :)

Cheers

Working in a vineyard as a supervisor means that I'm slowing down, if I was a tractor operator I would be part of the mad rush trying to put sprays on before the end of the year, but I'm not, couple of slow days with a few crews finishing of wires, then amping up next year for harvest...my most hated 2-3 months of the year.

I've got a contract to get out to a customer, then tomorrow I have a hyperhydrosis treatment, then thursday GF back from Korea/Bejing business trip. My kids arrive from adelaide on Fri night then Christmas morning we fly to LA for some Disneyland action :-)

So busy busy busy

It's been a frantic few weeks getting council quotes out, usually it's slowed right down, but not not this year.

Still got a bit to plough through before thursday's knock-off...then it's fucking Christmas.

3 lots of families...mine at lunch on Sat, hers on saturday night, then driving up to Echuca on Sunday for a couple fo days with my birth mother and her family.

To sum up:

My (working) xmas this year has been very strategically planned.

My last day of work is the 24th. We've got almost a week of public holidays (and a union picnic day) next week, and those that aren't i've taken off with ADO's.

My last day is the 24th of Dec. My first day is the 4th of Jan.

I *could* have put my hand up to work On Call or OT during those days (and earn a shitload of money) but we've got the little one up with us for the first time this year, and believe it or not - I just want a break.

This week, I'm in a SQL course from Mon - Wed, i travel to site on thursday, and then friday is pretty much a bludge. Finish a few little bits and pieces, then leave early to pick up the little one from her mother.

The first week of Jan i'll be in the office for 4 days, and then off on another SQL course from the 10 - 14th.

So really, I'm not doing a great deal for the best part of a month :D

Masses to do and I'm going away before New Years and people want stuff done so I'll get Christmas Day off (if you call hosting Christmas family lunch "off"). Doesn't help staying up until 2.30am babysitting all the mad Moes who are killing themselves either. Had a lovely accident to attend last night where some douche stabbed his dad and then drove at speed into a power pole. The entire engine bay looked like it had been removed with a gas axe and the engine was in the back seat...along with one of his legs. Crime Scene Investigation looks interesting on the TV but they must edit out HOURS of footage :(

The abusiveness of customers is insane I had a women in tears of fury, becuase I told her we had no coriander.

Speeding up. Interviewing for a major new mission opportunity at 7pm this evening. I am busy developing a strategy so I have something insightful to say :-)

Sneak up behind them and plant the explosives while a hot chick does her hair to distract them.

Always an effective strategy.

Winding down... had last week off, got next week off. Would have taken more but planning some away time in March.

The abusiveness of customers is insane I had a women in tears of fury, becuase I told her we had no coriander.

You utter, utter bastard. And so inconsiderate too boot. ;{p

Slowing down as we don't have emergency admissions and the private docs are away on their hols so nothing coming in from them.

A cunt of a peer reviewer meant my paper wasn't accepted for publication, so we're rewriting to a different journal. I want it out of my hand before Christmas. The university shuts down from the 24th to the 4th.

I work pretty much same as usual except for the 25th, which I have off. Work's been a bit quieter than usual, but people are very stressed and you can kind of see the strain.

Personally, I'm not stressed at all, but that's probably part of the perks of being a single man living with mates :P

Keep on, keeping on.

Looking for employment, and with nothing to do each day everything's .. at a nice pace; though to be honest I wish I did have a job, so I wouldn't be at home all the time :S

Office closes tomorrow (22nd) but I have too much work to do, so will be working until Friday (24th).

Start back on the 4th of Jan.

The whole office is in a mad dash to get jobs out before the 12pm tomorrow. Fun times.

Two jobs on the go simultaneously, one firm who I have previously worked for doing some short-term casual work, the other on contract which should see me through into Q1 2011, and maybe Q2 as well.

Nah, my work hasnt been slowing down, in fact, its been picking up steadily for the grand finale that is NYE night. Our workload increases 200% to that of a regular Friday or Saturday night (our regular busiest period) and is mostly fights, drunks, OD's, car accidents.

On Xmas day, its a bit of the same ie fights, drunks and OD's at night time but no where near as many on NYE night, but during the day its things like people threatening suicide, mental illness flare ups, actual suicides and sometimes horror stories like kids drowning in the pool and families discovering depressed family members have taken their lives :/

Last year, it was that insane on NYE, I had my first real distress call by the ambos on the radio. Someone who was VERY drunk attacked them while they were in the middle of taking a sick person to hospital, they had just put them on the stretcher and into the back. Then this person came out of no where and attacked them, got the keys to the ambulance and attempted to drive away in it, with the sick patient in the back!!

They didnt get very far because I was onto the police so fucking fast and to their credit they responded so very quickly and they managed to arrest that idiot and they managed to get the sick person to hospital and then the ambos themselves were checked for injuries after they handed over care to doctors/nurses at hospital. Not to mention I can track the ambulance so its retarded to do that in the first place, let alone think you can lose everyones tracks and make a get away!!

So yeah...it gets busy lol. I slept for a solid 12 hours after NYE last year. I was buggered!!!

Last week, busy (Pie shop, people are to busy to cok for themselves)

this week, Monday/Tuesday busiest days of the year so far

But tradies will start to go on their break from today so it will probably slow down a bit