the_13th

Audio Production

Okay I have an idea in mind. Some of you may know that I do singing and acting.

I had a thought in my head, ow hard would it be to record my own music on my PC

Id obviously need a decent Mic, I assume a soundcard + Software

Im just thinking of my voice at the moment

Well the purpose will be to capture singing, budget well realistically as little possible but obviously I realise Ill have to spend something..

Is no more than $500 a joke?

Oh cool and the USB solves the sound question :)

Any idea what the difference is with this and the procaster?

Edited by the_13th

Those are made more for talking, rather than singing but are easy to use.

What sort of singing do you do?

Well it could all depend, its mosly going to be balads I suspect the occational rock type song maybe.

I do have quite a powerful voice I looked it up on youtube and it would seem to not handle that too much but that comes own to knowing how to use a microphone as well. Id have to be spending sh*tloads to get a mic to handle everything singing wise. Its only just shy of it though, Im actually quite impressed

I'm a tenor and I can sing...lol

Edited by the_13th

I think you'll get caught-out with the post-processing, like NO Dynamic range, due to limiting/compression.

Audacity is good, I've used it successfully over the years.

A decent mic, and cable is all you need, oH, and Headphones.

One thing you might find too, is a delay between what you hear and what is recorded.

But Audacity can boot/kick tracks back and forward to realign the tracks, if required.

The Podcaster, IMO (looking at the specs...),

low BW

Frequency range 	40 Hz - 14 kHz
low snr

Signal noise ratio 	>78 dB

Rode make good mikes, but this one maybe for talking, not dynamic vocals.

Regards Glenn

Rode make good mikes, but this one maybe for talking, not dynamic vocals.

Regards Glenn

Is there something else you would reccomend? I really started this post before doing any research of my own, at home music is created, some of it is very professional sounding but I figure it has to be done through PC, it has to be possible..

I did a look on the Podcaster and yes its definately designed for talking specifically, I think it could be used for singing but its not perfect for it. So far its the best option I've found so far though

If I have to resort to buying proper recording equipment etc then it defeats the purpose of my project

------------------------------------------------

Edit: just edited some wording, also rmoved the garageband question after discovering it was software for Mac's...lol

Edited by the_13th

You want to get a mic that works with your voice. Good cheap mic is Studio Projects C1, good for grittier sounds and male vocals. Basic rule of thumb is soft mic for a hard sound and vice versa.

I will pm you as I have some gear for sale. Rode mic and Focusrite pre, good combo for vox processing.

You want to get a mic that works with your voice. Good cheap mic is Studio Projects C1, good for grittier sounds and male vocals. Basic rule of thumb is soft mic for a hard sound and vice versa.

I will pm you as I have some gear for sale. Rode mic and Focusrite pre, good combo for vox processing.

That's a good combo.

Just make sure you do any trading in Trademart.

For sure, I wouldn't do it any other way.

Look, you can use most mics for various things.

Take this one...... http://www.recording-microphones.co.uk/AKG...icrophone.shtml very popular to use on kick drums etc.

But I have used it for vocals with great success, as have many others.

(works best on deeper male voices)

Once you start mucking around with this shit..........you get addicted!

You have been warned!

Look, you can use most mics for various things.

Take this one...... http://www.recording-microphones.co.uk/AKG...icrophone.shtml very popular to use on kick drums etc.

But I have used it for vocals with great success, as have many others.

(works best on deeper male voices)

Once you start mucking around with this shit..........you get addicted!

You have been warned!

Well seeing as Im a tenor it probably would be quite as good for my voice then, Im definately going to have to do some very serious research if Im going to do it. I figure that whilst developing my sound etc it'd be much better to do it at home with my own equipment rather than pay for studio time.

I may never go anywhere with it but atleast Im having a go, as for getting addicted, well I dont have a problem with that ;)

I see 2 issues

a.) as already discussed Im going to have to get a mic suited to singing.

b.) PC Compatibility, I dont want to be forced to buy mixers etc..

That's why I suggested the Podcaster.

Reasonable mic............easy to use.

You can always use a bit of EQ to get the tone you want.

That's why I suggested the Podcaster.

Reasonable mic............easy to use.

You can always use a bit of EQ to get the tone you want.

And I can always add more equipment later if I reach a point of seriously creating something, because at that point I'd have to anyway

At this point if I go ahead it literally would be experimentation, and as such I dont see the point in buying hundreds if not thousands of dollars of equipment. Though the NT2 is a tempting looking Mic, I think its a more serious piece of equipment than what Im currently looking at, I really feel I need to stick with something thats USB, or atleast designed specifically for PC use.

I came across this last night, not sure how it compares though.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mi...a8d0/index.html

Edited by the_13th

audio-technica make great mics.

But lets get back a bit, some of these condensers are quite expensive.

I have an outboard mixer, and a USB sound card.

And I use an sm57 (shure) and a Senheisere 835, and an AKG d (something). All dynamic, analogue and require a pre-amp.

The Senheisere 835 came with a mic stand and clip, for about $200 , I got mine from Allens Music, 2 years ago.

Everybody has to start someplace,

If you have tiny kids, These mikes can be destroyed with one drop to the floor.

There's other good advice here, anybody mention ebay shopping?

Happy hols, Glenn

And I can always add more equipment later if I reach a point of seriously creating something, because at that point I'd have to anyway

At this point if I go ahead it literally would be experimentation, and as such I dont see the point in buying hundreds if not thousands of dollars of equipment. Though the NT2 is a tempting looking Mic, I think its a more serious piece of equipment than what Im currently looking at, I really feel I need to stick with something thats USB, or atleast designed specifically for PC use.

Knowing where to jump in is always a problem, for people buying audio gear to get into recording, people buying instruments to learn, etc, not knowing whether you will take to it or not. I just buy the right thing from the outset nowadays, worry about how to pay for it later. (:

Buying a little mixer and mic will make the whole process easier. Muting and unmuting live mics or room speakers, adjusting balance of levels for recording, adjusting headphone levels, routing your gear, all this stuff becomes a total pain in the arse for recording when all you have is a USB mic, which will never connect to any other hardware, and become totally obsolete if you ever upgrade. A mini mixer is not expensive anyway.

Edited by komuso

Well Audio Interface definately looks like the way to go, Yamaha is the top of the list at this stage though apparently its software leaves a lot to be desired.

Microphone wise will be dynamic vs Condenser, condenser looks like the better option, providing its not going to pick up too much background noise. Not that I live in a noisy area but its still a concern, seeing as I am doing this in a house

Personally, and in retrospect of what I have done,

I would get an outboard mixer, (no usb), but look for other stuff like spdif, and optical i/o.

As well as the rest, but try not to buy into fx and processing (and software) the may become redundant.

Like cubase, do you really think you'll get cubase for less than a hundred bucks?

fx and processing is FOSS, checkout Audacity.

It'll be a demo that times out, and your (hard worked for) data will be useless.

kiss!

Cheers Glenn

With Audacity you can save money for other things, and this, audiogram3 would do just a good a job,

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-produ...am3/?mode=model

But I know this is subjective...

More money for a none-usb, large diaphragm condense (Rodes) mic (they make a tube/valve mic too).

NT(x)nt2 I think, but the "one's" are good too and there are mods for them,

It's subjective! Truth is you have to start so you can find out where you are. Just be careful,

It's easy to spend heaps to find out.

Cheers, Glenn

<edit>

p.s. I was very fortunate with the purchase of a Roland Edirol UA-25EX

Although I have not hit the performance wall of a usb 1 interface, it's been fine for home recording.

But then again I have a 10(+) ch mixer to plug into it If needed.

Mostly it is setup as a monitoring-system, :-p

I also meant to apologise for my scepticism of proprietary software, I have a copy of Cakewalks Sonar if you want it. (, it's been awhile since I tried using any, cept maybe flash and ...)

</edit>

Edited by GlennsPref