the_13th

Audio Production

I also meant to apologise for my scepticism of proprietary software, I have a copy of Cakewalks Sonar if you want it. (, it's been awhile since I tried using any, cept maybe flash and ...)

No need man its exactly that reason why I am doing the research and asking for the opinions, the fact is that I'm getting in to something I have little if no experiance in, sure I've had experiance with a sound system for live events but not in putting it together and knowing what is going to be best.

And software wise, i dunno Audiocity has its limitations but considering its free you can hardly complain. And surely its a better option when it comes to experimentation than, as you said purchasing something for over $100 that will be outdated in no time at all.

As for Preamp vs Audio Interface, I dunno. As I said, thats why Im doing this research now

Well I definately have no need for a mixer, at this stage its only one chanel of input and at the most it will only ever be 2 or 3, which is for a possible guitar and maybe a friend. Theres no way Id ever use all 6 on the Yamaha (yes I know theres a 3 version). At this point it will literally be me, not a band just me doing solo work, ifI can teach myself to play guitar or find a friend interested in playing around then we'll have 2.. But till then theres just no need for any more... I would prefer to cover those bases now though.

Or am I still being stupid? Or not thinking ahead enough? If I was to form a band (which is unlikely) surely we wouldnt be recording in my house, we'd be hiring a studio.

The Yamaha is an easy solution for you within your budget.

Sure, you'll need something to make demos.......you can do that with onboard sound with just a mic preamp.......but why settle for second best?

Dedicated sound only held with output right? Doesnt make much of a difference with recording?

I'm not sure what you mean there.

A lot of things make a difference when recording.

Nearly all DACS on dedicated soundcards are better than onboard.

The better the DAC, the better the recording will be.

Dedicated sound only held with output right? Doesnt make much of a difference with recording?

I'm not sure what you mean there.

A lot of things make a difference when recording.

Nearly all DACS on dedicated soundcards are better than onboard.

The better the DAC, the better the recording will be.

It was just a side thought on the pre-amp side of the argument, because I assume thats how a preamp would be connecting up, through your sound card. And I was wondering if a dedicated sound card helps with recording as well as with the sound output, I wouldnt have thought the difference would be anything much..

But I still believe that the Audio Interface is the way to go

A dedicated sound card is always better than onboard sound.

You can easily hear the difference.

The Yamaha interface is in fact an external sound card.

I'm looking at this Audio Interface at the moment

M-Audio MobilePre mk II

http://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/view...udio-interface/

$230

I continued reading, the Yamaha does indeed have a few issues, mainly with its buffering etc. And from what Ive read their software is garbage.

The M-Audio comes with Pro Tools SE, which is supposed to be alright? Then again the S.E. version might be crap..lol

Mic Wise, I'm definately looking at Condenser Mic's now, I think its better to go for the quality, I'll worry about the background noise later if there is any.

Some Americans made some suggestions on a music forum I joined which look alright, except for the issues of getting them here ($90+ postage **** that...lol)

Edited by the_13th

That's right.

Getting started is easy.

Once you are hooked, you want to find out all the tips and tricks.

One thing though, don't get too wrapped up in the gadgets and software and forget about the music!

Those are made more for talking, rather than singing but are easy to use.

What sort of singing do you do?

Well it could all depend, its mosly going to be balads I suspect the occational rock type song maybe.

I do have quite a powerful voice I looked it up on youtube and it would seem to not handle that too much but that comes own to knowing how to use a microphone as well. Id have to be spending sh*tloads to get a mic to handle everything singing wise. Its only just shy of it though, Im actually quite impressed

I'm a tenor and I can sing...lol

Dont forget to put a filter in front of the mic and do it in a decent room, or set up some baffles or something

I'll tell you what..........I was just reading about this!....... http://www.studioprojectsusa.com/lsm.html

Does look interesting, cant help but question how it will perform given its size though, especially when they havent given us a sample of it

But I have added it to my interested list which now consists of.

MXL 3000: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ndle?sku=270703

A suggestion that came from a US based forum. Doesnt seem to be available in Aus, and so far postage from the US would look to be $90+, which seems to defeat the purpose, but then again thats about the price difference of the audio interface I was looking at which I can get from the same place and its only $5 more postage...

Audio Technica AT2020: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/resource...020_english.pdf

Looks alright from my very uneducated eyes, sounds alright on the few youtube vids I can find. Id then have to buy the shockmount and pop filter all seperately of course.

Sterling Audio ST55: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...hone?sku=271356

Suggestion from the USA forum just like the 1st MXL one above but again, not in Australia.

Of course the cheaper Dynamic option is still there with the Shure Mic I spoke of.

The Rode equilivents all look fantastic but they're all a little more expensive

Edited by the_13th

See, now you're going from a cheap, simple solution to be on your way to a full blown studio!

I think you've been bitten by the Hardware Bug!

See, now you're going from a cheap, simple solution to be on your way to a full blown studio!

I think you've been bitten by the Hardware Bug!

As long as that bug doesnt make me forget about the important parts :)

But If Im going to spend money I want to spend it on the right stuff. Thats why Im being so careful

There are differences in entry level gear but I don't think you'll find much that gives you standout performance, especially if you aren't going with a good preamps or a nice mixer that has good preamps, and you haven't mentioned anything about monitors or a good soundcard. There is a lot of junk (which size has little to do with), so look to avoid the unuseable rubbish.

Reviews are good, but I would suggest going to a shop and trying them out, see which sounds best for you. To an extent, mic choice is personal. If you are in Sydney, try Sound Devices on Sussex St. There used to be a kind of private room there where you could try stuff out in a quiet setting. Also try Soundcorp in Marrickville, there is a website for mail ordering. They have good specials pretty regularly and are really easy going on prices. Maybe you could even book an hour or two in a little studio and try all their mics.

Edited by komuso

Those M-Audio interfaces are good. Provide phantom power, don't require an external power supply and come with a light version of Protools (which is pretty much the standard in any professional studio). Hard to go wrong for a budget setup and you can then spend your money on a good Mic that can be used with any interface i.e. once you upgrade ;). There is a version of the m-Audio interface you linked to that only has a single Mic Jack that go for $150.

Another option is to look around Ebay. I picked up a second hand Echo Audiofire 8 for a few hundred. These provide 8 analog input/output channels, stereo digital in/out and 2 reasonably good Mic preamps via an external box over Firewire.

MXL 3000: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ndle?sku=270703

A suggestion that came from a US based forum. Doesnt seem to be available in Aus, and so far postage from the US would look to be $90+, which seems to defeat the purpose, but then again thats about the price difference of the audio interface I was looking at which I can get from the same place and its only $5 more postage...

BSG, Brisbane Sound Group are a supplier of Audio Technica Products.

http://www.brisound.com.au/view/page/6.html

The MXL3000 is not listed, but I'm sure they could save you same $ on post and pack.

Shoot them an email to find out.

Regards Glenn

the Edirol UA-25EX is a nice little package n if you get it cheap on ebay even better...

And you did mention the shure right? SM58?... seriously you can't go past that little bad boy... not just for gigs, a couple of my friends swear by em... even to the point of forgoing more expensive mics... the only problem is it being dynamic you will need a tidy piece of hardware to pick it up nicely.

I wouldn't spend too much though... second hand equipment the way to go until you find out exactly what you like to use and moreover, if it suits your style.

It's really easy to spend heaps of bucks on a flashy new microphone, only to find the headphones made the old mic sound bad.

Keeping this thread alive...

I've been doing a podcasst for over 6 months now and realized I needded to bump the audio quality (withouth breaking the bank), so last week I got myself this:

- Behringer Xenyx 802 Mixing Console (https://www.storedj.com.au/products/BEH-XENYX802)

- Behringer C-1 Condenser Microphone (https://www.storedj.com.au/products/BEH-C1)

Add cables and a little desk stand (from Jaycar) and all up I spent less than $200 and the quality I'm getting from this set is outstanding compared to the previous headset-mic combo.

The guys at StoreDJ are great and helped me save money, as opposed to some other well known music stores where they told me I needed to spend $500 upwards for a similar system.

I think that, as a starter point, don't spend too much and then you can grow from that.