Avliden

Oh Mineral Oil, Where art Thou

Howdy campers, Would anyone happen to know where I can pick up vast supplys of mineral oil? Coles? Bunnings? Wha?

Planing on doing a submerged build. Also, I might have to look into a decent pump... Didnt Atomic's build have a pump? I'll have to find it...

Get mineral oil from Coles. "Baby Oil" is 100% mineral oil. Says so right on the bottle :) Get the Coles Brand. $2 for 500ml. My mountain bike requires mineral oil for the hydraulic brakes. Rather than pay $35 for 250ml of Shimano Mineral Oil, I use the Coles stuff. Of course I researched before doing so, just to make sure they were equivalent. My brakes work. :)

e: Baby Oil is clear :)

ee: Check it yo! http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-differere...or-baby-oil.htm

Edited by kikz

Get mineral oil from Coles. "Baby Oil" is 100% mineral oil. Says so right on the bottle :) Get the Coles Brand. $2 for 500ml. My mountain bike requires mineral oil for the hydraulic brakes. Rather than pay $35 for 250ml of Shimano Mineral Oil, I use the Coles stuff. Of course I researched before doing so, just to make sure they were equivalent. My brakes work. :)

e: Baby Oil is clear :)

ee: Check it yo! http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-differere...or-baby-oil.htm

go with this, you may want to let your coles store know that you need ~40L of the stuff though.

Also at supercheap, they have 1L bottles of 'hydraulic tool oil' which is semi-clear. Its very thin for a pump.

Baby oil is better though :D

Go to a chemist, i'm sure thats the sort of thing they'd have in large bottles.

Ooo, bugger.

Thanks for the replys guys. I sort of dropped off the face of the earth for a time. I'll definately check out all avenues. I'll have to figure out exactly how much I need.

The end I want to arive at is completely sealing my HAF (Big task) if I manage it shall look very nice. I Also found some USB Can fridges on eBay (In other words basicly a coaster that is also a fridge)

Thinking about ripping one of those apart and seing about adding it to the loop somehow to help cooling. I'm sure with a bit of messing with I could possibly turn the fridge into a freezer... But that remains to be seen.

I'll see how much the baby oil route will set me back, if the super cheap method is cheaper I might go that way.

How about a pump? would a standard fish tank pump do the trick? I know its definately thinker but a decent quality fish tank pump would pull it off wouldnt it?

Edited by Avliden

i'd say google is your friend on the pump. If you're thinking fishtank, i'd be looking at saltwater fishtank. AFAIK those are stronger pumps because of the 'thicker' salt water. I just remember reading SOMETHING a long time ago. so dont quote me on that.

What you speak of, is a Peltier Cooler. Its very inefficient, gets ver hot on th reverse side, and I believe (once again dont quote me, its 2am) that oil conducts LESS heat than water, meaning trying to cool the 'loop' with it is a bad idea. It'll just waste power. Besides the whole idea of oil immersion is that the oil needs to be circulated, thats all, no 'loop' like in watercooling.

If I were you, I'd be hunting down a HUGE aluminium heatsink, and using the whole lid as a heatsink. Or making one out of plates of aluminium\copper and some bolts and threaded poles.

From there I'd be running 2X 20mm fans over the top of the heatsink and thats it.

Hottest components are at the bottom of the case normally (PSU, and GPU, and the CPU only a little higher). Oil gets hot and rises to the top of your box. At the top you have a 50\50 inserted giant heatsink.

The heatsink absorbs the heat and gets dissipated into the air by the 2X 20mm fans. The oil, being cooler, proceeds to then fall again cooling the PC.

From there I'd be running 2X 20mm fans over the top of the heatsink and thats it.

Hottest components are at the bottom of the case normally (PSU, and GPU, and the CPU only a little higher). Oil gets hot and rises to the top of your box. At the top you have a 50\50 inserted giant heatsink.

The heatsink absorbs the heat and gets dissipated into the air by the 2X 20mm fans. The oil, being cooler, proceeds to then fall again cooling the PC.

You are kidding, right?

What's he running.......an underclocked Atom system?

You are kidding, right?

What's he running.......an underclocked Atom system?

Lol so True, I dont think MS has ever used a Peltier before.

Well I'll likely be running the oil out of the case and threw a radiator (Cooled by several fans) then back in so that should do the trick. Salt water pump eh

Actually, throwing it at a radiator is likely to cause the oil to splash and make a horrible mess.

Given the comment about oil's heat conductivity, I'd consider using a heat exchanger between the oil and a water cooling tank. In fact, oil normally floats on top of water. It'd be interesting to try putting stand-offs so that the electronic components reside inside the oil with the water below and using a pump to draw water/oil from the top of the tank and pump it down into the bottom of the tank where the coldest water is.

As the oil is pumped into the bottom, it will rise in bubbles through the water, getting cooled as it rises up before rejoining the pool of oil on the water's surface.

A second pump could take water (and some oil) from the interface and pass it through a heatsink for exchange with outside air for cooling, again pumping it back to the bottom of the tank.

Wasnt going to throw the oil at it lol. It will be running threw it. And water cooling is pretty expensive and I just wanna dip all my shit in liquid! I have to try it! curiosity killed the cat and all that aside I have to sate my thirst here bahahaha

Wasnt going to throw the oil at it lol. It will be running threw it. And water cooling is pretty expensive and I just wanna dip all my shit in liquid! I have to try it! curiosity killed the cat and all that aside I have to sate my thirst here bahahaha

its not really, you can buy kits with high quality parts for like $170 from gammods.

When atomic did this MANY issues ago they had to get a bulk order from 3m becuase they could not find any at retail.

Mayb contact Dan?

Edited by amckern

Why use such small fan's?

Wasnt going to throw the oil at it lol. It will be running threw it.

His picking on you're spelling. Threw = passed tense of throw.

Rob.

Edited by robroy1173

Wasnt going to throw the oil at it lol. It will be running threw it.

But there you go again, throwing oil at the radiator… (Hint)

.....through

I like the idea of standard water cooling. But how often do you come across a completely submerged system? Its just cool (No pun intended) Its something I have to do at least once in my life.

EDIT:

Ok, I have two systems that need cooling anyways. I've decided that my gaming rig will taste standard water cooling. (Cheers nesquick, prompted me to look rather than assume its still out of reach credits wise)

One question here (Probably more later) one thing I never got The liquid is on sort of a circuit right? so it will be something like;

Pump -> CPU -> GPU ->err.. RAM ? then back again, right?

Why dont people split the current more? for example;

two streams leave the pump one goes Pump -> CPU and Right back again another stream goes Pump -> GPU then possibly RAM

(I assume ram is less of an issue heat wise. *I'm not saying there is no issue just less.* probably wrong)

Would this setup be possible? I know I'm coming off as a complete and total nubblet but I've never touched watercooling before simply because I never had the need to overclock even on the latest and greatest games.

Even now on my aging system I can still play pretty much everything that exists maxed out

(Thank fuck devs are looking at making things run more smoothly and efficiently rather then WOO BIGR TEXTURZ REZ! or perhaps WOO SOo MANY POLYZ MY BALLZ ARE VIBRATING (Remember when polys where a selling point? wasnt that long ago the days of the supposed leaked images of the PS3 that looked like something out of a Sci Fi flick Onimusha 250,000 Polys! WHOA~! (Was that right? am I too drunk?)

Anyway, where was I? AH Water cooling, ok, so I'm playing GTA and I'm like why in the name of thors hairy balls is this bitch stuttering so much. This was a while ago and as you probably know GTA IV requires some serious grey matter to crunch all those numbers. So was born my want to overclock my CPU ergo water cooling.

Sorry this is way too long, I need a proof reader I should write it up in word. Its like I have to type faster than I think... Probably born of a lot of Deathmatch FPS chatter. Does wonders for your grammer.

Edited by Avliden

best to pm Morgoth and Dasa with that kind of question, both know a shitload about watercooling and can help you more than I ever could.

oh and for GTA4 to run well you need a quad core cpu.

best to pm Morgoth and Dasa with that kind of question, both know a shitload about watercooling and can help you more than I ever could.

oh and for GTA4 to run well you need a quad core cpu.

Yeah, found that out the hard way. I can run it nicely at max settings for short bursts untill the CPU has to start crunching more ped and traffic data.

PM them eh? I'll just refer them to this thread. I'll say you sent me so I dont sound like a weirdo.

splitting streams reduces the flow rate threw the blocks and higher flow rates helps to decrease temperatures

since you want to cool things like ram and chipset with water you would be best to run two pumps and rads

a small one for the chipset\ram and a large rad and powerful pump for cpu\gpu's

chipset\ram water blocks are extra restriction and more heat in the loop that i would rather avoid in most cases

make sure its all copper to avoid corrosion

you can submerge the pc in oil but you want water running inside the rads as it is freer flowing and transfers heat better

you also want the rads out in open air with fans so they can pump the heat out

psu can be a tricky one