Avliden

Oh Mineral Oil, Where art Thou

One question here (Probably more later) one thing I never got The liquid is on sort of a circuit right? so it will be something like;

Pump -> CPU -> GPU ->err.. RAM ? then back again, right?

No, a radator is apart of the circut, so that the liquid can be cooled.

From reading atomic's oil PC and about a few others, it's not good enough heat dissipation to be worth doing, also heat output of systems has more than doubled since the hardware used back then.

My thoughts are if you want to do an oil PC, I wouldn't use my top-end PC, I'd use some backup rig you play Quake3 on. And do it for fun, not for cooling $1500+ worth of stuff putting out 500w+ of heat.

For good performing liquid cooling, I don't think an oil PC would be the most trouble free method, nor the best temps.

I can't give advice about doing an Oil rig, I don't know enough about it as you'd need to have a custom tank, and then you need to decide whether you have a large volume and pump it through some ghetto radiator setup, or just let it heat up and be not very useful.

Once we have a list of proposed parts, we can more accurately help with whatever setup you may need.

Typically, you would likely use a D5 pump, and for quadcore at least a double 120mm spaced radiator.

So if you tell us what components you'll be cooling, a rough budget and which case, then we can help you all the way to the point of which fans where, what direction of airflow/in/out and loop design.

splitting streams reduces the flow rate threw

Ooooo dont say "threw" redhatter might missunderstand!

I see what you mean. It makes sence now cheers for that!

From reading atomic's oil PC and about a few others, it's not good enough heat dissipation to be worth doing, also heat output of systems has more than doubled since the hardware used back then.

~CHOP~

Ok, well.

CPU:E8500

MOB:EP45-DS4P

RAM: G.skill/corsair

GPU: HD 4870

CASE: CM H.A.F. (the first one)

Budget? hmm Anywhere from 50-100 or 50-200 (Just want to know my options)

What would you guys reccomend if I wanted to do some nice CPU/GPU OC's without making me not pay rent?

Feel free to let me know what the best of the best is also currently. If it is sexy as balls it might instill some patience in me bahaha

At that budget you're probably looking at good quality air cooling. Don't worry air has come a long way since the bad old days when overclocking on air was like shaving with a broad sword. So I'd go something like the noctua NH-D14 or the thermalright arrow for the CPU and I guess something like the Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo Pro for the VGA.

I'm not too sure how much performance you are gonna squeeze out of the 4870 but with the cpu and a good cooler you'll go a long ways (provided you aren't hampered by other factors limiting the oc of your system).

its not really, you can buy kits with high quality parts for like $170 from gammods.

Acording to nesquick it aint out my budget, balls to Air cooling no mater how far its come I doubt its making water cooling worry about loosing its top spot. Beside all that this allstarted out with me wanting to dunk my whole PC in liquid I'm not about to go all the way back to air cooling now.

And as for the 4870, it definately isnt a slug. Like I've said previously it will run anything today at max settings on my system. I havent found a game I couldnt achive that, well, thats a lie 2 games Metro 2033 or whatever and GTA 4 but even on those I can max out pretty much everything only sacrificing for example in GTA 4's case lower level shadows and slightly above the view distance on PS3. So more than respectable. All that with High textures. It only stutters because of my lack of a Quad CPU.

As for metro I believe all I did was lower shadow resolution and even that ran fine. Dispite that game looking no better than crysis hrm..

Anyways, water cooling. Id do a nice google search but I realy want the opinion of the water cooling pro's on atomic. I dont realy trust anyone elses judgement. Id believe you on the water cooling price but as nesquick said they exist for around 170 so I think I need a third oppinion to tip the scales here.

just thinking here but...

a submerged system with water cooling as in...

standard submerged system with 2 radiators

1 submerged 1 not ...the submerged smaller rad should transfer heat from the oil to the water\coolant inside the rad

the second radiator .. a large healthy one , sits ontop of the fishtank with a few descent fans on it transfering the heat from the water\coolant to air

and obviously a pump in there somewhere ...inline maby?

by my guesstermation it should work well

correct me if im wrong