buddylove

Cheap IP thermometer

Hey Guys

Im after a cheap i.p thermometer to monitor the termperature in the server room @ home.

This is a precautionary measure for the hot summer months in the brisbane.

Ive found this product

I.p Thermometer Site

They are asking $ 297.00 though... quite a bit out of my range.

Im after email notification facilites and some kind of reporting software.

Remote Temp Host

Wish this came with the sensor probes...

Another Brand

This store has them for $350.00 AUD,

Just to confirm, im after a ethernet based i.p thermometer sensor. not a usb one.

Can anybody within the atomic community help me out?

Edited by buddylove

Why not just get a USB (or serial) thermometer and use one of the servers. A quick Google has them starting from $10.

Edited by SledgY

Who not just get a USB (or serial) thermometer and use one of the servers. A quick Google has them starting from $10.

Hi Sledgy, The server is running esxi 4.1

While there is USB support for usb device passthrough from an ESXi hypervisor to a virtual machine, the virtual machines running are not suitable to run the temperature monitoring service.

Constantly being turned on/off, wiped, redeployed... its a test bed for my vcp and hosting freenas.

also, the usb limitations are a pain in the arse..

usb limitations in esxi

Plus, I need the option to be able to use the thermometer in my network cabinet.. no pc in there.

thanks for you input though.

Edited by buddylove

Why not run a dedicated VM for such monitoring?

- resources are pretty tight on the esxi, only has 2gb of ram. I would consider it wasteful to create a vm just for the usb thermometer.

- still want something that i can use later down the track in the network cabinet.

- esxi server will be switched off remotely (through vpn vsphere client) when temps are too hot, once esxi server is powered down and temps lower there would be no way to find out what current temps are.

The usb thermometer just doesnt suit my needs, thanks for your idea though.

One of your links goes here:

http://equalsgreaterthan.com.au/portal/?page_id=3

In my experience they are the cheapest that actually work, give them a call, they dislike being beaten on price :)

Cheers

Thanks Chris,

May as well just start saving for one.

Cheers

Edited by buddylove

Make one. Wouldn't be too hard to adapt some electronics kit if there isn't one already.

Not what you want, but closest off the top of my head, Circuit Cellar had an article a while back on making a display that retrieves the temp from the Internet. Obviously, you would instead use a sensor but the building blocks are there.

Edited by sponger