Sign in to follow this  
muffie

xbox 360 home theater setup question

Finally bothered to setup the 5.1 home theater the other day to the tv and xbox but it only has 1 optical input....

Currently my setup is:

xbox -> (component) -> tv

xbox -> (optical) -> home theater unit

home theater unit (hdmi out) -> (hdmi) -> tv (hdmi in)

Obviously this way I can get sound from the xbox going through the home theater, but not the tv.

My question is this: before investing in another hdmi cable, is it possible to wire it:

xbox -> (hdmi) -> tv

tv -> (optical) -> home theater unit

home theater unit (hdmi out) -> (hdmi) -> tv (hdmi in)

so that sound from the xbox is transmitted though the tv to the receiver?

Why are you connecting from the home theatre unit to the TV?

I might be missing something but that sounds totally redundant - you've got sound (via optical to HT unit), and picture (via component to TV). Why then do you need anything going from the speakers back to the TV?

If you do Xbox -> (HDMI) -> TV, the Xbox will output sound to the TV along with picture, so you'll have to turn the TV volume down all the time.

----------brief aside re my own setup---------------

I don't know about what the 360 would do (mine's an original release 360, ie no HDMI), but with my Bluray player (or my HD receiver), I have both outputs - HDMI and optical - used together, the former to the TV, and the latter to my speakers.

The optical out (from both units) goes to the speakers, for full surround sound, but I have to turn down the TV, as HDMI carries sound too, basically 'duplicating' that being output over optical - even if everything is set to the output method needed for optical, the HDMI still carries sound to the TV as well.

Now I actually want it that way, as (in the case of the HD receiver), I needn't turn on the surround speakers if I don't want/need big sound, I just turn up the TV's volume (easier for the wife too). I also (want to be able to) do this for Bluray sometimes, purpose-defeating as it may sound, as my player has a bug with some discs where it refuses to output to the centre channel... I think I actually fixed it by the changing the digital output type, but would rather have the 'backup' of sound through TV just in case.

----------------------------------------------------------

OK, back to you, I don't think any sound that's been carried to the TV by HDMI, could then be 'downgraded' for output via optical, I suppose it depends how smart the telly is, but I doubt it (going by what little I admit to understanding about this stuff).

Even if does, it again sounds like you're introducing redundancy by then going from HT unit BACK to the TV with HDMI - why??

Sorry, I should of clarified: the HT unit serves as the dvd player hence the HDMI connection from HT -> TV.

Also, since they are both Samsung Anynet(?) compliant, they HT unit and TV recognise eachother, allowing the TV to turn off its own audio when the HT device is on etc.

HDMI is over my head. Bring back component cables.

Maybe the HT unit can pass the video from the xbox to the tv and decode the sound?

So....

XBOX >- HDMI- HT >-HDMI- TV

Ahhh yep just realised it might be something like that.

Yeah Anynet's pretty cool - my Bluray and TV are both Sammy, but TV juuuuust older than Anynet. Still, the Bluray remote also does everything I need to do on the telly (change inputs, volume etc).

OK then, going back now that I know your DVD outputs from the HD... OK, I think you're better with another HDMI cable. By all means try it, but I don't think Xbox->(HDMI)->TV->(optical)->HT unit, will work, to carry sound from the 360 through the TV to the HT unit.

It might, I admit I don't know enough to be certain, but from what I DO get I don't think that'll work.

If your HT unit has HDMI in-out, then all-HDMI is probably how you'd wanna go. Your HT unit will obviously need at least one input, and two outputs... actually no it probably only needs one... can you switch (on the HT unit) WHAT is doing the outputting? What I mean is, you're not gonna be watching a DVD AND using the 360 at the same time, so can you have a single HDMI from 360 to HT unit, then a SINGLE HDMI from HT unit to TV, and then on the HT unit 'toggle' between whether the 360, or the DVD, is outputting?

It would have to be more of a home theatre amplifier setup to do that sort of thing, ie toggling. I know with other amp systems you only need a single output (to your telly), and on the amp you toggle between what input is active (acknowledging of course that one of your sources, the DVD, is part of the HT unit, so not really an 'input' per se).

A friend of mine has that exact tv. He had a dvd player with hdmi plugged into the tv and then optical from the tv to his home theater system.

It passed the sound through but it wasn't surround sound, just stereo. I googled a bit and found that its a pretty common thing for tvs not to pass 5.1 content through properly.

I imagine xbox would have the same result. You might be out of luck here. =\

Hrmm, had a bit of a play by hooking up the xbox to TV via HDMI and TV to HT via optical and it passes the sound through no worries. Unsure if it's transmitting 5.1 or the HT is emulating 5.1 from stero though

does the home theatre unit have hdmi in?

That really would be the easiest.

xbox -> (hdmi) -> HT -> (hdmi) -> TV -> (optical) -> HT

does the home theatre unit have hdmi in?

According to the link posted above there isn't. So what he has done seems to be the only real option. And it seems to be working according to muffie's last post.