chrisg

Ever wanted reminding how important cable dressing is?

I guess this could go in several tech areas but it was the cooling bit that really got me, I'm a bit of a fanatic about cool running machines.

About a year ago I built a machine for a mate, actually it was going to be mine but after a few job changes and other demands my computing needs went totally portable so when he said he needed a new biz computer I said you can have this for cost.

It's in a glorious and easy to work in Thermaltake Soprano DX case, nice Gigabyte board, don't ask me which, dual core Intel, 4GB RAM, good drives, Silverstone PSU (love 'em.)

When it left here, after a bit of a saga, unrelated to this tale, it was running like a dream, and sitting at 31 degrees in 24 ambient, I do keep notes. :)

It came back a few days ago, a bit the worse for wear, had a rootkit virus, looks like a power spike semi-trashed the optical drive, the hard drive might have been the same way, sure didn't like the bad sectors report.

Suggested to my friend that it was time he moved on from XP to 7, that as he had a copy, legit, of Office 10, and those drives looked like toast, it was best to do a thorough upgrade.

He happily agreed.

Assembled all the necessaries, 7 Home Premium, new drives, the optical a Samsung, seems rather good, the HDD a Hitachi, ran POST on the whole rig, mobo, cpu, RAM (Corsair) all fine, but I noticed one thing.... Someone had been inside the case, my usually neat cable dressing was looking like spaghetti after a bad night. It is a bit easy to get into that case.

And, in again 24 ambient it was sitting steady at 39C. Nothing to worry about, but intriguing, and no, I don't rely on BIOS readings, used direct temp measurement.

So, did the full rebuild, redressed everything etc, loaded it up with all the free goodies he needs, burned it in, then, out of pure curiosity went back and checked temps.

With aircon here the ambient was 27C, the cpu? 31C again.

I can't believe the drives have dropped in thermal output, has to be airflow.....

To confirm I checked cpu fan, yeah, in today's ambient running 200rpm faster but no where near limits.

So, I'm probably preaching to the converted, but, dress your cables :)

The only real diff in cabling, apart from dressing was moving from an 80 ATA optical to a SATA, but the 80 was out of the way anyway, when it left.... :)

I THINK that was all it was, a ribbon blocking airflow, either way, sweet box again, until he next rings with a sad tale :)

One thing, that bemuses the hell out of me, and not related to cooling, the optical is nice, and he likes to watch DVD movies on it, so checked it. On WMP it pixelated like hell, so, cleaned it, put it on latest firmware, no diff. Played in Nero, ran like a dream, but that is not the point of this little report :)

Cheers

Oh yeah, Cable management is one of the main things you need to do in this day and age.

And it gets easier and easier with all the new cases with improved options.

Yeah, I looked at one of those, but once you go modular you never go back :)

Cheers

Yep, I'm the same way with cable management. All of my cables are braided and neatly tucked away or streamlined to the case. Temps definately get higher when cables are all over the place, to an uneducated eye you wouldnt realy think it would make such a difference.

Edited by Avliden

Turbulence creates heat doesn't it? Even down at such a presumably insignificant level like inside a PC case.

Im the same, very anal about cable management, nice to know its been confirmed as an actual effect.

Edited by wheelz

i wish my shitty coolermaster 1kw was modular its a mess.

*Hugs HX1000*

Chris, I especially like cable management with watercooled pcs, as there's usually less airflow over the motherboard and more shit in the way from tubing

*Hugs HX1000*

Chris, I especially like cable management with watercooled pcs, as there's usually less airflow over the motherboard and more shit in the way from tubing

I'm the same, I got the cable management in mine looking quite good, theres still a tangle of cables coming out of the PSU, but theres no airflow down there for it to impede anyway, as long as you keep the cables over the motherboard area as neat as possible, theres not really a problem.

Yeah cable management is pretty important. The only way I've found to address the issue with cramped case confines or annoyingly short cable lengths, is to use a duct to run air from an inlet straight to CPU/GPU fan or even both if you wish.

I've been eyeing off a few new cases specifically with cable management in mind, also plenty more space to fit my components and flipping hands as well.

The only other option I have is severe case modification, which means drilling out pop rivets and adding extra length and height to the case with machined aluminium panels. That won't automatically fix my cable management problems though, as I'd then have to rewire everything again. Cost and time wise it would be so much easier to buy a new case.

do people still seriously own non-modular PSUs?

my AX750 is single strand sleeved, both for aesthetics, and it makes it much easier to make tight bends, and keep cables out of the way.

do people still seriously own non-modular PSUs?

my AX750 is single strand sleeved, both for aesthetics, and it makes it much easier to make tight bends, and keep cables out of the way.

I wouldn't change to a modular PSU for just that reason.

I got a modular PSU because I needed an upgrade, and it was an obvious decision.

Modular is hardly worth spending if you don't need a new PSU, unless you enjoy throwing money at things, or you have a buyer and can sell the previous psu and buy a modular for a neglidgable amount

I keep telling you evey time I see you. Corsair baby, Corsair! :P