EvEm_Relic

TopGeek

There are gamer girls entered. Sorry to tell you, but you have Buckley's.

lame

I guess you must be referring to something other than the prize:

The prize for the iiNet Top Geek winner is an international holiday package worth a minimum value of $8,000 AUD to be spent by iiNet on one of a number of available travel packages to the international conferences disclosed on the competition website.

The final package will include travel, accommodation, local transportation and conference attendance tickets.

lame

As above.

Rob.

Equally inspecific. Luckily I'm not taking it personally.

I guess I was hoping to draw out the more positive forum members.

The prize is certainly cool, and I wish you all the best of luck :)

The competition itself, is lame. (Or at least, that's what I was talking about, and what I suspect kikz was talking about)

Rob.

The prize is certainly cool, and I wish you all the best of luck :)

The competition itself, is lame. (Or at least, that's what I was talking about, and what I suspect kikz was talking about)

Rob.

Thanks

I think the idea that geeks can rally support via votes is stretching the "Geeks are popular" notion way too far.

A real geek would find it very difficult to get public support. I guess it comes down to how many other geeks you know.

Its very unlikely I'll make it to the top 5 but I'm putting some effort in anyway.

Particularly having seen some of the other entrants.

I think the idea that geeks can rally support via votes is stretching the "Geeks are popular" notion way too far.

Geeks are popular? Things must have changed quite quickly from when I finished school a few months back...

EDIT: Best of luck with the competition though!

Edited by redemption

There are gamer girls entered. Sorry to tell you, but you have Buckley's.

Sad but true. I have a fucking SNES tattoo and I don't stand a chance.

Good luck though, and for what it's worth, I voted for you.

The problem I personally have with these sorts of competitions is the general public's definition of a geek.... This punk sums it up classically for me: http://www.topgeek.iinet.net.au/entry/view/185

Mind you, Aliali has found a classic one there as well.

Eh maybe I just hate how all the cool niche shit is going mainstream and being ruined by the fan-punks.

The problem I personally have with these sorts of competitions is the general public's definition of a geek.... This punk sums it up classically for me: http://www.topgeek.iinet.net.au/entry/view/185

Eh maybe I just hate how all the cool niche shit is going mainstream and being ruined by the fan-punks.

Ye a lot of entries there that I would not call geeks, just sad people with no life :P

For me playing games, watching anime or being obsessed with cosplay does not make you a geek.

None of those things need any IT tech skills which to me defines who is and who is not a geek.

Ye a lot of entries there that I would not call geeks, just sad people with no life :P

For me playing games, watching anime or being obsessed with cosplay does not make you a geek.

None of those things need any IT tech skills which to me defines who is and who is not a geek.

And that is half the reason I put myself out there. I don't think it necessarily has to be IT but some technical expertise is a minimum requirement for me.

But lets face it, given the prize choices they were always going to have cosplay fanatics.

Made it to Page 4... thanks to those who voted.

That's a ranking of 32/216ish :)

I won't link it but WP has an interesting announcement thread in which iiNet staff/MM discuss the competition.