Sign in to follow this  
Powermaniac

Overclocking a reference v1 HIS HD 5870

Hi all,

Why didn't I think earlier to ask here silly me. Anyway 2 questions first one was generally overclocking a reference 5870 anyone have any experience, tips, explanations on how to do so and how they have gone in the past. So just a full explanation on overclocking such a graphics card would be hugely appreciated. Now the other thing was I was wondering what is the reference design 5870 like in performance to some of the current GPU's. Considering people, magazines, sites have been stating things such as currently one of the best GPU setups you can have is crossfire GTX 460's. Might mention haven't tried overclocking a GPU before so yeah...

Anyway thanks all for the help, Powermaniac.

Oh and I will check on replies tomorrow got things to do etc. Thanks again.

all new GPU's are kind of dead in the water at the moment thanks to TSMC scrapping its 32nm half node process not to long ago which meant ati and nvidia had to make alot of compromises with their most recent designs, in any case I'd stick with a single 5870 over 2 460's as that would mean you'd need a new mobo, probably new ram, faster CPU ect

Why do you need to overclock your GPU? you could let CCC do it for you and just auto tune.

Edited by nesquick

Ok now I'm confused... I was mainly looking at overclocking it for the fun of it see what it could do what kind of improvement could be done. CCC automatically overclocking it? Haven't been bothered to mess around with CCC always seems quite screwy. So with CCC how? Yeah have some time to reply for a bit.

Ok now I'm confused... I was mainly looking at overclocking it for the fun of it see what it could do what kind of improvement could be done. CCC automatically overclocking it? Haven't been bothered to mess around with CCC always seems quite screwy. So with CCC how? Yeah have some time to reply for a bit.

its pretty easy.

1. open CCC

2. open the Overdrive tab.

3. press the unlock button (press ok when it warns you)

4. increase the gpu slider by 10mhz at a time, press test custom clocks, repeat till you start getting weird colours/artifacts on your screen.

5. when the artifacts start to show up, back the gpu slider back by 10mhz, open a 3d game that you play, play for a hour or 2 and see if

you get any more artifacts, if you get any weird colours or artifacts, quit the game, turn the gpu clock down another 10mhz and try again.

rinse and repeat till its stable (ie: no weird colours where they arnt suppose to be, no artifacting etc).

6. once you have found your max stable gpu speed, do the same with the memory clock slider, doing the same tests till its unstable, then back

it off a little till its stable.

7. once you have both gpu and memory clocks stable, press apply, then ok, close CCC and enjoy

thats basically how its done.

note: you dont have to do it in 10mhz steps, you can do it 5mhz or 3mhz steps or whatever you like really, i find as a rule of thumb, first increase

the gpu by 40mhz (almost all gpu's can do a extra 40mhz easy), test it, then do in 10mhz steps is the faster way to find a good overclock for the gpu.

memory on the other hand, i would go in 5mhz steps, just because memory hits its limits alot faster then gpus do (in my experience)

Thanks definitely trying that out and seeing how it goes.

Wait thats an interesting question would the ati tool be good to scan for artifacts after adjusting it? Oh and if you just maxed it out in CCC and get no artifacting whatsoever then what lol?

Edited by powermaniac7

Thanks definitely trying that out and seeing how it goes.

Wait thats an interesting question would the ati tool be good to scan for artifacts after adjusting it? Oh and if you just maxed it out in CCC and get no artifacting whatsoever then what lol?

i havent used ati tray tools since my ancient 9800XT back in the day, so couldnt say tbh, i usually test my overclocks using crysis v1.2 + extremely high IQ mod.

If you manged to maxed out the gpu clock in CCC with no problems, then maybe try msi afterburner? (not sure, afterburner and CCC both show me the same max gpu/mem clocks on my 4890 and 5770, dont have a 5870 on hand to triple check it for you).

How did you go with the memory clocks on your 5870?

I currently run my 5870 at 950 / 1250 stock volts. No real point though unless your gaming at massive res's stock will do fine for anything 1080

Oh sorry guys for not replying back thanks for the information. Well I managed to get the GPU speed up to 900Mhz and the memory clock up to 1300Mhz thats what I mean by I maxed it out and now what?