Sign in to follow this  
smakme7757

Watercooling GTX 580 with the CPU?

Ok so i've decided that i'll retire my GTX 295 and just buy a single GTX 580 (for now) which will be in my new build later in the month. Now i'm new to watercooling so i'm trying to figure out the best way to order my loop.

This is my setup:

Radiator: EK Coolstream 360

CPU Block: XSPC Rasa

GPU Block: EK-FC580 GTX - Acetal

Pump: Swiftek MCP655

Tubing: 7/16" Primochill White

Res: Swiftek MCRESMICRO

All that is in my 800D with the radiator mounted at the top and the pump in the bottom compartment. Res-Pump-CPU-Rad

As far as im concerned seeing as the GPU is the hottest part i would have had the loop like this:

Resevoir-Pump-GPU-CPU-Radiator

I guess there are better ways to setup the loop so please let me know :)

Edited by smakme7757

<snip>

As far as im concerned seeing as the GPU is the hottest part i would have had the loop like this:

Resevoir-Pump-GPU-CPU-Radiator

I guess there are better ways to setup the loop so please let me know :)

Thats how i did my first watercooling setup.

however, every benchmark that ive read, seem to indicate that the cpu will be your limiting factor, when playing with

anything higher then the gtx480/570/580 and 5870/5970/6970's... the gfx card can only do so much as the data is feed to it,

so id personally, go in this order:

Resevoir-Pump-CPU-GPU-Radiator

however, once you get a new cpu, reverse the order back to what you had orginally planned, that way

you can go for bigger overclocks on the gpu as you should get slightly more bang for buck OC'ing the gpu

then the cpu (id assume, however i could/may/proably be wrong).

I guess ill have to wait and see how my new CPU goes in term of overclocking. I'll be redoing my entire PC! Everything in my sig will be replaced - Maybe i should just make a thread in the building section where i can ask all my questions without making so many micro threads =D.

Edited by smakme7757

I guess ill have to wait and see how my new CPU goes in term of overclocking. I'll be redoing my entire PC! Everything in my sig will be replaced - Maybe i should just make a thread in the building section where i can ask all my questions without making so many micro threads =D.

look into making that thread mate :)

Presonlly I wouldnt get an EK radiator, nuke's on here leaks and I've herd many of the same stories on OCAU, personally I'd got for a BlackIce or XSPC. As for loop order, I'd go CPU first, that way the water that is heated by going over the cpu first isnt as hot (for the GPU) as if the GPU was first in the loop, comprende?

basically the cpu puts out less heat, leaving more cooling capacity left in the water to cool the GPU afterwards.

it doesnt matter what order because the heat levels out over the loop its been tested there would be 1-2 degrees variation.

just set it up how it looks neatest and shortest runs of tube just make sure res before pump but you knew that.

i would grab a rx 360 rad, i have one and its really good even with slow quiet fans.

it doesnt matter what order because the heat levels out over the loop its been tested there would be 1-2 degrees variation.

+1 lol thats the line i was looking for

Currently running my loop like this:

Pump>CPU>RES>GPU>GPU>PUMP

Thats an i7 930 and 2 gtx480s and it seems to be holding up well, flow is probably off a little bit due to apparently restrictive GPU blocks, but it manages to keep my 2 gtx480s at around 60c under Heaven 2.0 load.

Thats with a 2x120 rad too.

Tunksy - How did you know my EK rad is leaking? :o

look into making that thread mate :)

Presonlly I wouldnt get an EK radiator, nuke's on here leaks and I've herd many of the same stories on OCAU, personally I'd got for a BlackIce or XSPC. As for loop order, I'd go CPU first, that way the water that is heated by going over the cpu first isnt as hot (for the GPU) as if the GPU was first in the loop, comprende?

Well EK products are the only products i can buy here without having to import. The problem is if i buy anything (from overseas) over $40 USD then i have to pay a flat rate fee of $20 plus 25% of the purchase price+shipping in tax. The XSPC RX360 looked damn nice, but it was around $100USD+$48USD in shipping so i would end up paying double the price in shipping and taxes :(. And if i decided to import my entire watercooling kit i would be paying through the teeth in import taxes. The PC modding community in Norway isn't really such a big market here so there are only a few shops that sell the stuff unfortunatly.

The EK rad has been fine so far. I've had it on for a few days straight without any problems so i'm happy.

Thats an i7 930 and 2 gtx480s and it seems to be holding up well, flow is probably off a little bit due to apparently restrictive GPU blocks, but it manages to keep my 2 gtx480s at around 60c under Heaven 2.0 load.

Thats not a bad idea. I'm pretty sure a single 3x120 rad would be ok for the CPU and the GTX 580 and from what i hear the i7-2600K isn't very hot anyway.

Edited by smakme7757

Got my full loop hooked up now.

Look goes something like this.

Pump>CPU>360mm rad>Res>GPU>GPU>Pump (Which is attached to my 2x120 DRIVE 220 rad/res/pump combo)

Flow rate seems to be a bit better than it was the other night and im getting fairly decent temps with it all.

Around 60 on the GPUs with heaven 2.1 benchmark and 50c on the cpu.

CPU still hits around 70c under linpack though.

Edited by nukejockey

I'm a ninja.

....and i stalk trademart alot. saw your thread :p

Ohhh, forgot I mentioned it leaked in there...lol!

lol yea, good on atomic for quickly providing a radiator, not.

Got my full loop hooked up now.

Look goes something like this.

Pump>CPU>360mm rad>Res>GPU>GPU>Pump (Which is attached to my 2x120 DRIVE 220 rad/res/pump combo)

Flow rate seems to be a bit better than it was the other night and im getting fairly decent temps with it all.

Around 60 on the GPUs with heaven 2.1 benchmark and 50c on the cpu.

CPU still hits around 70c under linpack though.

Cheers mate, how do you monitor the flow rate?

I ended up buying this Waterblock by the way: EK-FC580 Nickel+Acetal with 2x EK Highflow barb fittings.

Edited by smakme7757

My loop is :

res>pump>360rad>cpu>gpu1>gpu2>240rad>res

Temps do even out as Akimbo said, loop order isn't super important. as long as you know the res before/above pump rule, which you do .

My loop is :

res>pump>360rad>cpu>gpu1>gpu2>240rad>res

Temps do even out as Akimbo said, loop order isn't super important. as long as you know the res before/above pump rule, which you do .

Thanks morgoth. I've got the GPU waterblock now, but i think i'll wait a week before i mount it so i can have a good go at overclocking the 2600K and see how it's temps are (i'm still waiting on the PC components though). Once i get a feel for the CPU temps i'll add the GPU waterblock after that.

I'm pretty confident that my 360 rad can cool both the CPU and the GPU so i'll habve to experiment a little bit. At that point i'll take your advice and mover the pump to make the loop length shorter, thus increasnig flow and pressure in the loop.

Edited by smakme7757

I'm a bit surprised to see the res before the GPUs, can you tell me why you have it there?

i'm reading about watercooling and tryign to understand the reasoning for component placement

i'm reading about watercooling and tryign to understand the reasoning for component placement

My current loop setup:

rad>cpu>gpu>res>pump

From what I've read and have been told water temp only goes up ~1 degree after passing through a block. So not much difference.

I'll see if that's true in the new rig I'm building. I'll hopefully have 3 water temp sensors in the loop at various spots. Will be interesting what they turn up.

But if you want some reasoning for component placement:

- Have the res/T-line before the pump so that when you're priming the loop the pump has something to suck through, other wise you could damage the motor sucking air.

- Think of the pump like another water block, it dumps heat from itself into the water too. Usually best to have this just before the rad so the heat it puts into the loop doesn't then go through any water blocks.

- If working with one rad, CPU first after the rad, CPU's don't like the higher temps, GPUs on the other hand handle 90C as standard fare so they can afford to be at the end of the loop where the higher water temps are before pump then on to rad.

- Working with two or more rads, technically the best setup is to put a water block after each rad. Eg, rad>cpu>rad>gpu>res>pump. This way heat is dumped before passing on to the next block offering the best cooling. But this means more tubing.

My original simple loop design

Posted Image

An optimal more complex setup of my future rig loop

Posted Image

Purely due to space constraints I have to go the simple loop design as my case will be very cramped, but if I could I would've gone the complex one.

Hope that helps you out a bit.

have you already bought the radiator? Buy the RX, much better quality rads, and much better performace.

Working with two or more rads, technically the best setup is to put a water block after each rad. Eg, rad>cpu>rad>gpu>res>pump. This way heat is dumped before passing on to the next block offering the best cooling. But this means more tubing.

this is incredibly bad, flawed physics.

the OP should not place radiators between waterblocks, it makes no difference to temperatures, as the water temperature will be at a constant throughout the entire loop. plumb your watercooling loop as simply as possible, so as to improve flowrate throughout.