Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
funky_monkey

The loss of a friend..

That's right folks, I have lost my friend called alcohol. It's not really a bad thing though... I think?

but lets get serious for a moment... I found myself just after Christmas feeling really disapointed in myself with how much I let myself go this Christmas. But the more I thought, I realised it wasn't just Christmas. It has been the last few months that i have hit the sauce at home quite often. not beserk, but I wouldn't say no to a few beers every night. While trying to improve and maintain my fitness this was the only thing I found which was really getting in my way. As of last Wednesday though, I decided that it's time I make a decision, and that was to cut alcohol out of my required food pyramid for a daily basis. To help me with this process to make sure I stick to it (as my Personal Trainer will be following it) and to see what an idiot I make of myself during this "test of will", I have set up a blog which I am going to try to post on a regular basis. it's not only about me kicking the booze, but also fitness\health and general wellbeing. I don't really know why I'm posting this here, except that maybe a few people here that are or have been thinking about doing a simillar thing might be interested or want to talk about it. It's not that I'm an alco, it's just I feel that for me to get where I want to be, I need to kick the grog. If you are keen to take a look (currently fixing an issue with my CSS so it's a little bland atm..) you can check it out here..

www.the-grog-blog.com

Again, it's not for everyone, but there might be one or two people interested.. I don't know if I really expect any comments here about it, but if you do I would be more than happy to hear them.

Cheers guys,

Funks

There is pressure to drink often but u can easily have fun without having to drink. I.E, watching other people who are drunk for some lols

but anyways, best of luck

Edited by SlurmsMackenzie

hey good luck man :) i hope you get to your goal!

lots of people live without alcohol, I'm sure you can too ehehe

best of luck dude!

The most awesome gift you can give yourself is good health, but it sounds like you know that already... :)

Good work. I came to a similar decision about three or so years ago now - realised booze was a crutch that was causing me nothing but trouble, so I slung it. It's not an easy thing to do but if it is having a detrimental effect you feel so much better once you've got it.

Not gonna lie, pressure's a bitch - there are a lot of people who'll put pressure on you because you choose not to get smashed - but eventually you kind of learn to filter it out. You'll likely have to be firm with some people and tell them that your choice is none of their concern.

Go for it !

No idea what your age is, but any time is a good time for a clean out of the system :) Really makes a difference to your life...also you may be pleasantly surprised how easy it

becomes to maintain your optimum weight etc.

Having said that, Walt and I indulged in quite a bit of port, and a little brandy during this Xmas / New Year, which was thoroughly excellent ;). Now though, it's finished with and once again

we become non-drinkers. Was the first time in approx. 15 years that we'd had more than the very very odd nip of anything. As much as I enjoy the taste of the port and brandy am glad to

be leaving it out of my diet once again....

Wow, I wouldnt say you are an alco either, but its still good to give yourself a rest from it for your health, you will benefit from this. We both support you :)

Ill follow along with your blog and read how you are going. You'll be fine, im sure! You should blog about any differences you feel, like if you feel more energetic, less sluggish etc. If you find workouts to be better or somewhat "easier".

Good luck and good on you :)

Been off the alcohol myself since 1998 (October actually), for health reasons and various others.

I took up drinking Chinese Tea as a replacement habit...the addict part of my mind is still satisfied, while the physical effect in this case is positive, rather than debilitating.

Eveln. i'm only 23. I think the real reason I'm doing this is to put some cash back in my wallet :P but it doesn't matter as it's then taken by the Fiance to go shopping :P

Since you won't be needing it anymore, can I have your booze?

I decided to stop drinking mind you.. after I had purchased 1 case of bud, I have about 8 bottles of red and white wine, and a few 6 packs in the fridge.. all christmas specials. so I have all this booze, and nobody is going to touch it :P

Good on you!!

Wish a few ppl I know would take a page from your book :)

Personally I'm not a teetotaler, I'll have a few social drinks (which happens very rarely) but generally i just don't drink. I don't like the way it makes me wiped out/sluggish the next day. I just don't see the point in spending the cash on it either.

Good on ya

I always maintain that I make enough coding/soldering mistakes when sober. Thus except on vary rare occasions, I avoid the grog.

In particular, I'm not a beer drinker. ;-)

You are not alone in your quest to rid yourself of Alcohol.

I too have decided to embark on the great hunt for alcohol free times.

Ive had at least 1, but normally more, drinks a day for the last month. I use to buy a bottle of Brandy Friday nights and finish it by Sunday. Then it was a 6 pack of Coldies and the Brandy.

As I've said, over the last month it has been a hell of a lot more than that. Also added 8 kgs in weight.

I am very determined to drop that 8 kilos and drop the drinking habit.

I intend to keep off it totally until the 4th March (Birthday) then perhaps just a 6 pack on a Friday night. Maybe off it for good. Not sure yet.

I didn't drink at all for NYE, felt pretty good.

I have had 3 glasses of wine since then, and am feeling pretty good still.

I am trying to concentrate on not drinking booze too much lately.

I always maintain that I make enough coding/soldering mistakes when sober. Thus except on vary rare occasions, I avoid the grog.

Posted Image

?

Anyway, more on topic, but I kinda know how you feel, I've just given up Pepsi (and pretty much every caffeinated beverage, which is a bitch, as I mainly work night shifts). Good luck with it, I know I'm struggling.

Edited by Hobo Man

Eveln. i'm only 23. I think the real reason I'm doing this is to put some cash back in my wallet :P but it doesn't matter as it's then taken by the Fiance to go shopping :P

Saving money is I guess enough of incentive to begin with :)

What I found is that 'run of the mill' alcohol is no longer tolerable...hence when I do indulge ...it costs more !