Sign in to follow this  
Avliden

Help with a Mobo and sexy case

Howdy folks!

Ive got myself a media center running right now which is fine and dandy for the most part what I need is some help in the mobo/case/gpu area.

These are the specs;

CPU: E8400

RAM: Corsair 2GB

GPU: Geforce 210

SPU: Auzentech Xplosion 7.1

HDD: 80GB (Windows) 1TB (Storage)

Media Center: XBMC 10.0

What I want to get from it is flawless 1080p playback if possible and I want to bring the size of it down a lot and keep it nice and sexy.

I'm after a LGA775 Mini Mobo and a sexy case and any suggestions on the cheapest way to achieve flawless 1080p playback (I assume a way better GPU but some imput would be awesome)

I know some CPU is required here but I assume a E8400 should be more than enough no?

Remember now SEXY is key! bahaha

Edited by Avliden

First of all, wrong section.

Just because its a HTPC doesn't mean it belongs in Audio and Display, its still a build thread.

Secondly, you're going to struggle to find an MATX or ITX S775 board these days, any should do but you'll have to trawl E-bay.

As for the case, just look around at a few different sites. I know Silverstone make some nice smaller form factor cases, but you may not find them sexy.

Edited by nukejockey

Just because its a HTPC doesn't mean it belongs in Audio and Display, its still a build thread.

Secondly, you're going to struggle to find an MATX or ITX S775 board these days, any should do but you'll have to trawl E-bay.

As for the case, just look around at a few different sites. I know Silverstone make some nice smaller form factor cases, but you may not find them sexy.

Gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo Motherboard

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=14895 :)

Gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo Motherboard

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=14895 :)

to that I trump you with this zotac skt775 ITX board with integrated gf9300 http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listn...6&sid=63513

Cheers dudes, wrong section my bad.

The Zotec looks good. I wonder if I can get a Mini Power supply...? Might try get it all in an XBOX =D

Sorry late reply I totaly lost the thread 0_o

Edited by Avliden

just get an SG05/6 it comes with a PSU and is really small.

+1 but youll only be able to use 1 3.5" drive and will have to use a slim DVD.

Edited by brissmas

That's about the same with all itx cases (slim optical and only one or two hdd bays) I mean with that little space somethings gotta give right?

There are a couple silverstone cases that look like DVD players/apms in an mAtx form factor and a couple cube cases. I'd suggest thet you look at the entire stock at pccasegear and narrow down to a few choices and we can help you decide past there.

Your current rig should be ok for 1080p - are you struggling ATM?

And you realize that with the zotac board you won't be able to use your azuntech sound card because it doesn't have a pci slot only pci-e.

Edited by UberPenguin

I'm thinking about going after an ION. Tell me, Would the ION mobo with some decent ram do the job? In other words, would in play perfectly on a 50 inch at full 1080p at a speed that you would not see any stuttering?

Oh and in regards to mu current HTPC, it is a very rare ocasion that I see it go sluggy. Best way I can describe it is it slows down ever so slightly for a second or two.

It doesnt happen often enough to bother me. But I wouldnt like to see how it performs running full 1080p. It is currently runing at 1080i and the video I'm feeding it is 720p.

(which looks sexy!)

With the case I'm thinking I'll just make my own case. When/If I go that rout I'll stick it in the forum so people can see how I'm goin.

I'm building a lil workshop so I can do my work at home with my own tools, so, I might need some help in that area.

Might have to post a thread to see what tools the Atomic modders consider to be a must have in the work shop. Here's a little list of what I have come up with, theres probably more but these are a few;

Dremmel (of course)

Soldering Iron

Drill

Sheet bender (what are they called.. To bend sheets of metal)

Pop rivit gun

Jigsaw

Hacksaw

Set of files (square, cylindricle etc)

Alan Keys

Skrew Driver set

Pliers (standard, needle and snips)

Wire strippers

Center punch

Hammer

Chissles

Angle Grinder

Mounted grinder(for shaping etc)

Mini Blow torch

Heat Gun

How do you spell it... Arildite ?(glue)

Silicon Gun

Asorted sprey paints

Brushes

Sander

Tin Snips

I'm missing some... Well yeah, what do you lot think?

ATOM with ION is just a wank IMO, why get an atom CPU when for the same price you can get like an i3 530 and H55N mobo?

Edited by nesquick

Well, the size. Those little buggers would be so easy to work with for their size. So if they tore up 1080p on a 50" then why not? especialy considering there cheap as balls. Cheaper then that setup with those lil motherboards with the GPU and CPU built in.

Edited by Avliden

If you don’t mind waiting a little then you should go E-350 amd (Brazos) as they are a fair bit better then atom/ion systems and are m-itx. That would do 1080p no problem.

And by the way atom/ion systems are cpu and gpu built in.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock...apu,2840-6.html

^ It’s a review, they have a theory that ion accelerated decoding degrades quality (I guess you draw your own conclusions)

Edited by UberPenguin

Well, the size. Those little buggers would be so easy to work with for their size. So if they tore up 1080p on a 50" then why not? especialy considering there cheap as balls. Cheaper then that setup with those lil motherboards with the GPU and CPU built in.

they are not cheap as balls, the atom boards with intel GPU are cheap but the ION boards are like $2-300 and the H55N is ITX to btw, I just think why go for less processing power?

Its just a matter of need realy. If it will do what I need it too and be DAMN small then I'm all for it. But part of me (A big part) is urging me to go with your suggestion nes.

I do prefer to have everything separate. Better for when you want to upgrade aswell.

I think I'm just craving knowlage. I'm so far behind in the tech game. I want to catch up so I need to learn alot.

Anyone have some input on the tools scenario? I'm building a whole workshop, Already have a bench made. Its pretty nice. Made it out of scrap so I'm happy it turned out like it did.

I'll post a pic when its cleaned up a bit.

Edited by Avliden

well a workshop needs the following this is pretty basic though:

-hammer

-hack saw with fine tooth blade for metal

-medium shifting spanner

-wood saw

-socket set (good one)

-spanner set

-screw driver set

-allen keys metric and imperial

-good quality multitool (I have a leatherman and have had it for 10 years now and it still looks new)

-dremel

-level

-drill

-sander (I like random orbital ones)

-clamps/vice

-lots of zip ties, duct tap and glues both natural (PVA) and like epoxy resin (Araldite)

-metal lockable box to put them all in

that should let you do most things, I have most of those plus a few other things but they just sit in my cupboard instead of downstairs rusting.

Edited by nesquick

Sweet, thanks bud. Most of those I had in mind. But a few I have no idea why they slipped my mind (The level for example)

I have a multitool, its a peice of shit... But I've used it for all kinds of stuff so I definately understand wanting one in the collection. The leatherman looks nice I might pick one of those up.

This pay day I will probably pick up a dremel and a new drill. Might look into making a Sheet metal bender aswell.

EDIT: ooo vice grips! need to do an updated list.

Edited by Avliden

well my leatherman was $200 about 10 years ago but like its still in perfect condition although I need to get the straight edge knife resharpened everything else is still great.

Definately think I'll pick one of those up. The shit one I've got has seen MUCH use. I definately want to pick up a dremel first. Might have to make a trip to Bunnings some time soon!

Edited by Avliden

you can get away with generic dremel's since they all do the same thing although IIRC the Dremel brand is made by Bosch which is a good brand, iv had my dremel for ages now and the LCD screen doesn't work anymore but the tool itself is still fine and its saved my ass a few times now on things any other tool would be useless at.