Sign in to follow this  
Sasquatch972

better motherboard

as the title says im looking for a better type of motherboard to overclock my Q6600, i currently have an Asus Striker but i would prefer something better, just looking for suggestions. i wouldnt mind a p5Q deluxe but i cannot seem to find any for a decent price! everyone wants in excess of 200 for a 2nd hand one. so id like to know whats something better for overclocking a 775 quad?

i used a ds3p and a 680i and had no problems try and find a 780i or p35ds3 good luck.

i have seen a 780i around but it was DDR3. did any models use DDR2? there is a few Asus p5N or E models going around are they any good?

Any high/mid range P45/P35/X38/X48 (and some nvidia chipsets but i dont know much about them) should overclock the Q6600 perfectly.

Edited by brissmas

im looking for a good s775 board to help with battle with nobody...how much for that gigabyte EP45 board?

thanks guys for all the advice, i ended up buying an Asus P5Q Pro motherboard, already got the cpu to 3.2ghz right away with no troubles. ill give my old striker and a spare E2200 cpu ,old ram and old video card as an upgrade for my dad now lol

im looking for a good s775 board to help with battle with nobody...how much for that gigabyte EP45 board?

I knew you were gonna say that :P

If I ever find a decent board, I'll send you the details

Oh and Sasquatch972, the Asus P5Q Pro is a good find

Where did you get it from?

I knew you were gonna say that :P

If I ever find a decent board, I'll send you the details

Oh and Sasquatch972, the Asus P5Q Pro is a good find

Where did you get it from?

a place in nunawading vic, has them for sale on ebay i just went to the shop and bought it, he has another 3 sitting there... they are manufacturer repaired warranty items, it took a while to get going though as the bios settings were all wrong and it took a few turns and combinations to get it to post, after i changed all the memory settings and everything its been brilliant.

this guy also sells many many many other computer parts that are either 2nd hand or manufacturer warranty repairs , the motherboard also has a 1 year warranty on it.

I sold a P5Q Deluxe edition for $160 recently, and seen one go for $130.

Bloody good board.

yeah was the board is was preferably looking for , couldnt find a deluxe for a decent price, only one in melbourne was $359 brand new which is probably about 3 times what ya should pay! or getting a warranty refurbished board off ebay by a dude from china that has a feedback rating of 93% out of 60 sales lol so i settled for $165 for a p5q pro from a refurb resale/2nd hand shop here in melbourne with a 1 year warranty.

My rampage Formula X48 was a beast. I got my Q9450 to 4Ghz on that board and my E8400 to 4.7Ghz, great board! And it has a thred with a massive amount of info on it at Extremesystems.org where most of its users still talk daily.

EP45-UD3P's are super cheap, and are some of the best quadcore clockers. a friend of mine was running his Q9550 at 4.5ghz with a 25x linpack stable.

EP45-UD3P's are super cheap, and are some of the best quadcore clockers. a friend of mine was running his Q9550 at 4.5ghz with a 25x linpack stable.

would you mind telling me were?

im looking for one for a backup rig..

i decided to get a p5q pro which uses the same chipset.. heard of a few people getting high overclocks out of them, i have gotten my Q6600 b3 chip to 3.2ghz 100% stable.. going to get some watercooling to see if i can break 3.6-4.0ghz lol. i read on some overclocking forum that not many people get their b3 stepping Q6600's much higher than 3.0ghz but ive found mine to be rather good... just it wants about 1.46vcore when its around 3.6ghz which is abit much for my Xigmatec Red Scorpion