roger explosion

New case for SLI

Hey all!

I've recently installed a 2nd gtx275 for SLI into my Lancool K60. And boy do they get hot!

I'm worried about their stability and have decided a new case may be in order.

I really had my heart set on the Silverstone FT02.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=13943

I like the style, sound proofing and its positive air pressure.

But it might be a bit expensive for me at the moment, so I have been looking at other options such as these two:

Fractal Design R3

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=15140

Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=13772

I've built a rig for a friend's family using the R3 and I was impressed with it, but a few reviews I've read suggest its GPU cooling is not great.

The 690 II looks better then, but I worry the all-mesh style will be a bit loud.

So what does everyone suggest I do? I'm open to other case suggestions but I can't fit anything wider than 230mm in my room.

Any help would be great, cheers

NZXT Phantom (222 Wide 540 High 623 Long) $199.00

Coolermaster HAF X (230 Wide 550 High 590 Long) $239.00

I would recommend a NZXT Phantom, it cools extremely well and in my opinion looks better than Coolermaster HAF X is not bad either .Or Perhaps you may want to change to Dual GTX 460 SLI they would run cooler.

The heat is now a problem. I can only get about 5 min playtime of FO:NV or about 15 min of SC2 before it crashes.

NZXT Phantom (222 Wide 540 High 623 Long) $199.00

Coolermaster HAF X (230 Wide 550 High 590 Long) $239.00

I like both of these cases too. Problem is that the spot for my tower has walls on both sides, making side intakes redundant. Thanks for the suggestions though.

I have a Lian Li PC-9 and couldn't be happier with it http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/produ...amp;ss_index=62

cost a little more than an R3 at $180 but having used an R3 the build quality of the lian li is much much higher.

I hadn't seen this case, it looks nice! It has the same tool-less features of my K60 which are brilliant.

How is yours set up nessie? Do you SLI/Xfire?

If I went with this case I'd probably grab a 140 for the roof set as an intake with one of these:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=12958

Go positive pressure!

^And much lighter and Aluminium gets rid of heat 4 times quicker than steel.

This is one of the reasons i liked the FT02

Another thing..... does anyone know if the CM690 II has removable dust filters on the roof so that the top fans could be used as intakes?

pccg have an antec 902 v3 out now which will cool your GPU's well. a bitfenix colossus isnt bad either.

what about a raven rv02-e?

Raven is a bit long for my tower space unless i take out the bottom. But then i will be sucking air through carpet.

I have always liked the Raven though. That's why the FT02 appealed so much, it had all the good parts of the raven, plus sound dampening.

And i could place it on carpet due to the space made by the U frame.

I looked at the 902 but a couple of reviews mentioned it was quite loud. The Colossus isn't really my style.

So I think the 690 II might be the most cost effective. I'd probably grab a couple of extra fans for the top and bottom and mount them like such:

Posted Image

Plus a bit of acoustic foam wouldn't go astray to keep it quiet.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=12992

Would this set up work with a mildly overclocked i7 920 and 2 GTX275s in SLI?

Or is there a more optimum fan placement/set up?

just get silent fans for it, acoustic foam really does nothing IMO since theres still lots of air holes for sound to get out.

Yeah but it changes the direction of the sound, so if you have the case near your head and you can hear the whir of the fans through the side panel directly into your ear, then using foam to block the noise coming out of that side panel will work, wont it?

When I had a CM690 I sound damped it with some stuff from jaycar - I did a pretty half arsed job and held it on with gaffa tape - and I did notice some sound reduction but really I should have coated all the areas that didn’t have fans attached because after I bought my R3 I noticed my temps dropped and I think it’s because it allowed for a positive air pressure and directed air-flow instead of just letting it through the mesh all the time.

Just don’t get the case counting on it being sound proofed, take it as a bonus if you get the desired effect with the damping. You’re always better off getting quiet fans if you want quiet and getting some sound dampening if you want to experiment with lowering the audible whirr and hdd noise. Just remember you can’t silence air.

I don't mean to hijack but I'm trying to plan for the future and might come up with a similar problem. Had my heart set on the r3 case because of the looks and the quietness about it but when i think about oc'ing i'm thinkin it won't suffice.

So what are some good cases that have that nice sleek and simple and keep the sound down but also dont blow the budget!

cheers guys

I don't mean to hijack but I'm trying to plan for the future and might come up with a similar problem. Had my heart set on the r3 case because of the looks and the quietness about it but when i think about oc'ing i'm thinkin it won't suffice.

So what are some good cases that have that nice sleek and simple and keep the sound down but also dont blow the budget!

cheers guys

Mate I think we are in a similar position. I'd like something quiet and unobtrusive, but with super cooling capabilities.

Reviews I read on the R3 suggest its perfect for mid-range gaming builds but may be a bit lacking for multi-gpu set ups:

For example: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/201...ine-r3-review/3

When I used one in a build for a mates mum, I can see what they mean.

I'm sure adding fans may help but then it may be to loud and defeat the purpose of the case.

What was that saying about being in possession of a pastry and desiring to consume it?

Well having the R3 myself I have found that it cools very very well and is extremely quiet. I have a total of 6x120mm fans and a 140mm fan (two on the cpu hsf and one on the vid (my 4890 even with the additional 120mm fan gets to 88-90 degrees and that’s in about 27 degree ambient, and it’s not an external exhaust card so it dumps it into my case) all are noctua, well one is cooler master. and cool well. I don’t have them set on full speed so I'm balancing out sound and temp but that’s the trade off with all builds that have quietness in mind.

There’s also the fractal XL ( http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=16221 ) if you want a larger case with the looks of the R3 take the lower hdd bays out and it would probably fit a decent rad. There is a Lian Li case that is more expensive but looks almost identical to the R3 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=12084 and its more expensive sibling http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=12343 they both seem like typical lian li cases – fantastic design and quality but too expensive for me.

Edited by UberPenguin

I wouldn't say that 90c on a 4890 is good case cooling...

Especially if its an aftermarket cooler.

Edited by nukejockey

It was worse in the RC690! Its not an after market cooler but it is one of those middle fan designs from sapphire. If I throw in a different card I get much better temps so i think it just runs hot. Its a shame cause its a fine card and still manages to play games at high settings but I'm thinking of upgrading to a 6950. Other than just wanting a new card I feel like this one is just running too hot.

those two lian li cases are beautiful but i'm kinda thinking they are just out of that price range. DO cases tend to drop in price alot over a couple weeks?

I think my best bet to get away with it would be to buy my case a few weeks prior to buying the guts of the system so the wife won't notice :P

EVIL!

edit- nuke you'd be the man to answer this. I was looking at along the lines of a HAF X, so i had a look at your build log (btw setup looks sweet) and noticed you used to use a 932. How come you changed from the 932 to the X?

Edited by Jonald

I didn't change directly from the 932 to the X.

I wanted something smaller and more compact so I went with a Lancool K62, which was a great case, was running dual 5850s in there and they ran pretty bloody cool, but I had to do an external mount on my WCing and it was kind of annoying with how small the case was. So I got a Raven RV01, again with external WC setup. but found that my GPU temps were not a whole lot better than my K62 and the case just became annoying after a while (the front door that rolls up and down stopped closing properly, plugging/unplugging things into the I/O ports on the back was a pain in the ass etc.

So I decided I wanted a new case that could house my WCing internally, I'd given the HAF 932 to a mate, so I decided to grab an X because they are probably the best air cooled cases on the market.

I didn't change directly from the 932 to the X.

I wanted something smaller and more compact so I went with a Lancool K62, which was a great case, was running dual 5850s in there and they ran pretty bloody cool, but I had to do an external mount on my WCing and it was kind of annoying with how small the case was. So I got a Raven RV01, again with external WC setup. but found that my GPU temps were not a whole lot better than my K62 and the case just became annoying after a while (the front door that rolls up and down stopped closing properly, plugging/unplugging things into the I/O ports on the back was a pain in the ass etc.

So I decided I wanted a new case that could house my WCing internally, I'd given the HAF 932 to a mate, so I decided to grab an X because they are probably the best air cooled cases on the market.

I'm 'thinking' of WC'ing down the track, 932 should should do it fine for a beginner? Also with aircooling to start off with, is the pc loud and also the amount of light the escapes? I just want blackness! haha

If you don't put lights in the 932 it shouldn't be a problem, the side panel is mostly mesh with a window, so you'll get the light from phase and voltage LEDs but thats about it, running my HAF X with the cold cathodes off atm and theres no light coming out of it.

As for volume, the fans are fairly quiet, low RPM, so its surprisingly quiet for a case thats mostly mesh, not silent, but not overbearingly loud and it runs VERTY VERY cool.

You also have lots of options for watercooling. You can mount the PSU up the top or down the bottom, leaving you with room for a 3x120mm rad up the top or a 2x120mm rad down the bottom.

AMD AKIMBO (I'm fairly sure it was him anyway) modded his 932 a little bit to fit a 2x120mm rad in the front of the case, which keeps it nice and neat aswell.

So you have plenty of options for watercooling and lots of space.

Just a bit of a thread bump....

I decided i could make the RV02 work on my desk (too long for the usual spot) and from what i can tell its more than capable of cooling my 2 GTX275s.

I was going to purchase a Megahalems as well so i can over clock my 920 for the first time.

So all was good in my head, then i saw this:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=16536

Now I've never been a fan of water cooling. As a novice computer builder (I've only put together 3 computers and have never overclocked before) it seems super difficult.

Plus the idea of having flowing water around inside my expensive computer makes me feel uneasy.

However, this XSPC kit, plus a CM690 II would be about the same price as the aforementioned Raven and Megahalems. And it would fit on my desk better.

Any thoughts?

wow that's an awesome find mate.

I was going to settle for the cm690 after reading a few reviews etc. the kit mentioned above would go well with it :)

well has anybody thought of this: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=8567

edit: good alternative to the haf x if you dont like the looks.

That is a nice case. The CoolerMaster ATCS 840 is a little pricy, but it's not too much more than the old WaveMaster I have and about 80% better. I've been looking at it thinking "HELL YES THAT WOULD LOOK SWEET". It actually looks a pleasure to work with too.

Just a bit of a thread bump....

I decided i could make the RV02 work on my desk (too long for the usual spot) and from what i can tell its more than capable of cooling my 2 GTX275s.

I was going to purchase a Megahalems as well so i can over clock my 920 for the first time.

So all was good in my head, then i saw this:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=16536

Now I've never been a fan of water cooling. As a novice computer builder (I've only put together 3 computers and have never overclocked before) it seems super difficult.

Plus the idea of having flowing water around inside my expensive computer makes me feel uneasy.

However, this XSPC kit, plus a CM690 II would be about the same price as the aforementioned Raven and Megahalems. And it would fit on my desk better.

Any thoughts?

You're still going to need to spend an extra $50 for some decent fans for it, but it will cool your CPU better than the megahalem.

Not a bad little kit for a good price, I'd go for it.