Questions about watercooling for CPU and crossfire setup

Hi Everyone.

My system is as follows:

Silverstone RV01 Case

Core i7 920 cpu

Gigabyte EX58 extreme mobo

6GB Corsair ram

2 x Gigabyte Ultra durable 5870

Currently i only have one video card installed as there is too much heat when they are both in the system. The main card gets way too hot as the second card is way too close and covers the fans.

The only way i can run them both is if i watercool the main gpu. Seeing that i have to watercool it i thought why not just do the whole system? lol

What im looking for is some advice on components. This will be my first WC installation so any help would be awesome.

As my two GPU are not reference designs, i cant get a full cover water block. Therefore i have been looking at some of the EK GPU-only blocks and the Swiftech MCW80 GPU block. Would the Swiftech be a good choice?

Also, im not sure on the size of the radiator. I was thinking probably a 360 size, but as i will be overclocking a little would a 480 size rad be better? would it be able to handle the heat?

Would a larger reservoir keep the temps cooler than a smaller res?

What size pump would be needed and which brands make the best?

Im pretty much a noob at this so if anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Pretty much all the components ive been lookin at are EK or swiftech.

By the way, money is not an issue.

Thanks!!

The RV01 doesn't allow for much flexibility when it comes to watercooling. The most you'll get into that system is a 3x120mm rad setup, mounted onto the exterior of the case, unless you do some serious modding.

This should be fine if you plan on only cooling the GPUs, but should do alright with CPU and GPUs in the loop aswell.

Just last weekend I was running dual GTX480s and an i7 930 on a Swiftech DRIVE 220 Rad/Res/Pump combo.

That may be your best bet for a setup. To keep it nice and neat, I'd suggest a Swiftech DRIVE 320 which is a 3x120mm All-in-one combo setup. Easy to install and less tubing length. You could basically go from gpu tp gpu to cpu and back again, would keep it all nice and neat. No extra pump or res required.

I would suggest a more elegant solution if I could, but seeing as that is literally your only option with that case, you don't have much choice. Personally I'd be looking at a new case if I were you, but thats entirely your choice.

Can't seem to find the Swiftech Drive 320 in stock at any of the main WCing stores in Australia, you may have to go to Ebay, if you decide you want to change case aswell, let me know and I can help you further.

The RV01 doesn't allow for much flexibility when it comes to watercooling. The most you'll get into that system is a 3x120mm rad setup, mounted onto the exterior of the case, unless you do some serious modding.

This should be fine if you plan on only cooling the GPUs, but should do alright with CPU and GPUs in the loop aswell.

Just last weekend I was running dual GTX480s and an i7 930 on a Swiftech DRIVE 220 Rad/Res/Pump combo.

That may be your best bet for a setup. To keep it nice and neat, I'd suggest a Swiftech DRIVE 320 which is a 3x120mm All-in-one combo setup. Easy to install and less tubing length. You could basically go from gpu tp gpu to cpu and back again, would keep it all nice and neat. No extra pump or res required.

I would suggest a more elegant solution if I could, but seeing as that is literally your only option with that case, you don't have much choice. Personally I'd be looking at a new case if I were you, but thats entirely your choice.

Can't seem to find the Swiftech Drive 320 in stock at any of the main WCing stores in Australia, you may have to go to Ebay, if you decide you want to change case aswell, let me know and I can help you further.

Thanks for the info Nukejockey. Really though, im not fussed if the rad isnt mounted to the case. I dont move the PC alot so im not against a rad box, plus i really like the case lol. If i was to change the case though, what would be suitable for a good WC setup?

There are several out there that have good options.

The corsair 700/800D is a good case with a fair bit of space, enough for a top mounted rad and easily moddable for a bottom mounted one if needed.

The Silverstone TJ07, while expensive has some really good watercooling options and is a very nice looking case.

Alot of Lian Lis higher end cases have good WCing potential aswell.

The Coolermaster HAF series offer good WCing potential aswell, although the 932 seems to over more than the Haf X.

look at getting a rad box or looking at getting a new case such as the HAF932, it isnt that expensive noew and is fantastic for watercooling, espceially given its price tag!

You don't need a rad box with the RV01, it doesn't have a rear mounted fan, you take the plastic cover off the back and there are 4 little slots for some metal clips that you get with the case, you just attach those to the fans on the rad (or straight to the rad itself I spose) and hook them in. Not the best mounting system I have to say, when I used it the rad moved around alot, but I only had a 2x120mm rad on there so I had to do a little fucking around to get it to sit properly in the first place.

Posted Image

Didn't look half bad when it was all done.

Posted Image

Edited by nukejockey

thanks for the pics nuke. I really want to keep the case so i've been looking around at components. From what i see, the hardest part would be mounting the rad. I could prob mod the case a little to fix it to the back without much fuss.

From the height of the case i could prob get a 4x120 rad on there. If so what im looking to buy is this:

XSPC RX480 Rad (maybe RX360 rad if i have to due to size limitations)

Swiftech MCW80 GPU blocks for the video cards

Swiftech Apogee XT CPU block

Swiftech MCP655 pump

1/2" ID tubing with suitable fittings

I dont know about the reservoir yet. Dont know about a pump top res or seperate res altogether. I was looking at maybe a Primochill Typhoon III pump top if i could find one.

If anyone has any recommendations or advice on this setup, feel free to tell me its cool or not.

im looking to get rid of an rx480. id rather just order a black ice GTX480 as it has m4 threads and i wont have to buy new screws/fans which would cost me as much as a new radiator almost. im also looking to get rid of liang ddc pump which I have two tops for, an xspc res top or a ek xtopv2 which is white.

I don't think you'll comfortably fit a 4x120mm rad on there, however as I said in my previous post, the case already accommodates a 3x120mm rad, all you have to do is pop off the plastic back plate on the case and hook these little L shaped brackets in, after attaching them to your fan/rad. The brackets should be in the box of miscellaneous junk that came with the case.

I also think you're going to run into problems if you run seperate rad/res/pump as you'll be running tubes all over the place and there just isn't enough room.

See how close to the back of the case the GPUs sit? If you have 2 in there like I did, then the 2nd one will be about an inch from the back of the case.

So theoretically, if you ran a full on proper loop, you'd have to find a place to sit the pump as well as the res and have it all run back to the rad. It won't work very well.

The Swiftech Drive 320 on the other hand like this but 3x120 instead of 2x120 will mean all you're doing is running the tube into the gpus and the cpu and then straight back out, no fucking around. Maximum neatness and efficiency.

Just as a quick illustration.

The Pump/Res one wouldn't be too bad, if you could find a place to mount them and there isn't a whole lot of room in the case for it without having tubes all over the place.

The Drive 320 combo is alot more elegant imo.

Posted Image

That 2nd one is supposed to have the tube going from rad to the gpus and then into the pump btw :P

Edited by nukejockey

Thanks for the explanation nuke. I understand what your sayin but elegant really isn't at the top of my list lol. All I'm really looking for is cold hard numbers. The build could look like shit but as long as it cools well I'll be happy. Surely a 4x120 rad would cool much better plus there is heaps of room inside the case for the pump and res. Im prob going to get a res pump top which would be ideal.

With the crossfire and CPU being in one loop, it would be pretty warm so I'm thinking the bigger the rad the better. Especially if i can fit it on the back of the case

You won't get a 4x120mm on the back of the case without a lot of fucking around, remember you still need room to rout the tubes and you can't do any really tight bends. Your best bet would be the 3x120mm (should be more than enough with 6 fans for push/pull) and maybe a drive bay res/pump? Something like the Laing D5 and this

When it comes down to it, it doesn't matter how much space you have in the case, but that the space is in the right spots and being a user of a watercooled RV01, you really don't have alot of options for pump placement unless you stick it in the drivebay with the res.

Just to clarify, a 4x120mm would either be right infront of the PSU nearly touching the desk, meaning you would need to have a fairly tight bend on the tube to get it up to WCing grommets, or you could sit it higher, flip it around and run a massive length of tube from the top of the rad to the bottom of the case.

I've bitten the bullet and bought the following WC components:

2 x Blackice GT Extreme 240 Rads

1 x EK supreme hf full nickel CPU block

2 x Swiftech MCW80 GPU blocks

1 x Swiftech MCRES Micro Rev2 Reservoir

1 x Bitspower D5 Mod Top V2 Acetal

1 x Laing D5 12V Variable Speed Pump

3m of Tygon 3606 1/2" ID tubing

I still have to buy the fittings. Will be all Bitspower but will wait and see what i need exactly before purchasing.

Will mount the two rads in series on the back of the case along with the res and the pump will go inside, similar to the pics in the link on my last post. Should be sweeeet!!

Edited by pizman

Not sure if Blackice gear comes with barbs, but swifty stuff does.

And while I like that guys effort on the RV01, it would be an absolute pain to maintain and move anywhere.

while that setup looks bloody nice, it will be a bitch to bleed and get air outa! lol still looks nice, you've ordered some really nice gear too! might've been easier to just go with a single 480 radiator, also what fans are you using? I have ltra kazes for sale in trademart :P you'll need some high speed fans to push decent air through those rads, I also have long enough M4 screws ;)

Yeah that setup looks awesome. The case won't be moving around much at all. It's my main rig so it just Sits in my room. I've got other systems I use on the move. In response to your comment tunsky, I got the two smaller rads mainly due to the tubing. I would have had a very tight bend getting back into the case as the barbs on the 4x120 rad would have been right at the top or bottom. With the two smaller ones, the bottom rad will have it's barbs right where the holes are, straight in. I can then just link the two rads in series and have the res right next to the hole so both hoses have a straight run into the case.

I might even do a build log on this for a bit of light reading and get some temps once it's done. I'll prob have all the parts in the next fortnight so stay tuned! Lol

Yeah that setup looks awesome. The case won't be moving around much at all. It's my main rig so it just Sits in my room. I've got other systems I use on the move. In response to your comment tunsky, I got the two smaller rads mainly due to the tubing. I would have had a very tight bend getting back into the case as the barbs on the 4x120 rad would have been right at the top or bottom. With the two smaller ones, the bottom rad will have it's barbs right where the holes are, straight in. I can then just link the two rads in series and have the res right next to the hole so both hoses have a straight run into the case.

I might even do a build log on this for a bit of light reading and get some temps once it's done. I'll prob have all the parts in the next fortnight so stay tuned! Lol

do the build log man! it'll be good and generate heaps of intrest!

i wouldnt have bought those radiators, but too late now.

make sure you get good fans!

If he gets powerful fans like you say, as they are 20fpi, they should turn out to perform quite well.