Sign in to follow this  
SlurmsMackenzie

"Nintendo: A Sad Story"

This is... an interesting video to say the least. A cross between Mario and Silent Hill it seems. There's also probably some deeper meaning about Nintendo selling out it's fans or something like that.

Anyways, Enjoy!

that was cool, well edited.

if you need an explanation of wtf just happened:

the guy playing wii tennis at the start is shigeru miyamoto, creator of mario.

later in the clip he puts on a bowser suit.

the other imp dude in black is the head of nintendo america, i had to look his name up, Reggie Fils-Aimé.

Obviously some strange sentimental old nerd who wanted Nintendo to make Mario games forever.

How does business that doesn't change it's offerings, or try to expand for it's continuity, expected to survive?

GTFOI.

How does business that doesn't change it's offerings, or try to expand for it's continuity, expected to survive?

Hmmmmmm, yes. What strange company could possibly thrive with a business model like that? Oh yeah, that's right, it's called Nintendo

Hmmmmmm, yes. What strange company could possibly thrive with a business model like that? Oh yeah, that's right, it's called Nintendo

I was going to say that, but he is probably going to mention the Wii and the 3DS etc.

I was going to say that, but he is probably going to mention the Wii and the 3DS etc.

But they have changed. And are continuing to do so. They couldn't be expected to run with their own titles forever. Mario has had his day.

But they have changed. And are continuing to do so. They couldn't be expected to run with their own titles forever. Mario has had his day.

Yet New Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are some of their biggest selling titles on the Wii.

Thats this atleast 3 unoriginal (in a sense) titles this generation. Then there are all the Mario Spinoffs they spit out, Sonic and Mario at the Olympics, Mario Strikers Football etc.

They're continuing to pump out Mario titles with little or no innovation.

At its core New Super Mario Bros is just Mario 1,2,3 etc. with Coop, Mario Galaxy is just Mario 64 with some fun physics.

Wheres the innovation? Where are they changing when it comes to their First Party AAA titles?

As I said, the Wii and the 3DS are taking gaming as a whole in new directions, but even so, they're still packed to the brim (or will be, as is the case with the 3DS) with Mario titles.

Mario has not had his day, in any sense of the word.

Just some numbers for you from the wiki:

In regards to Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Galaxy has received universal commercial and critical success. By May 2010, Nintendo had sold 8.84 million copies of Super Mario Galaxy worldwide. It is the third best-selling non-bundled Wii game and the seventh best-selling Nintendo-published game for the Wii

In Regards to Mario Galaxy 2

Super Mario Galaxy 2 received universal acclaim from major video game critics with numerous reviews praising the game for its creativity and technical improvements over the original. It has an average critic score of 97.07% at GameRankings and 97/100 at Metacritic making it among the most critically acclaimed video games of all time. As of September 30, 2010, Super Mario Galaxy 2 has sold 5.1 million copies worldwide

And New Super Mario Bros Wii:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii was a commercial success, As of September 30 2010, the game has sold 16.73 million copies and is the fifth best-selling (non-bundled) Wii game as well as the second best-selling Mario game on the Wii console (behind Mario Kart Wii).

How has Mario had his day if literally millions of people are still buying Mario games?

Should I go on?

Edited by nukejockey

Dude, seriously, what nuke said. In short, and this is irrefutable afaic, Mario IS Nintendo, and to a far lesser extent Zelda & Metroid. THAT'S IT! THEY HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO OFFER! They keep proving this by shamelessly pumping the same games over and over again. It's what they do. It's ALL they do! The "new direction" they are taking with the Wii is exactly the same shit with a nunchuck controller. The games are the same as they have always been.

Dude, seriously, what nuke said. In short, and this is irrefutable afaic, Mario IS Nintendo, and to a far lesser extent Zelda & Metroid. THAT'S IT! THEY HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO OFFER! They keep proving this by shamelessly pumping the same games over and over again. It's what they do. It's ALL they do! The "new direction" they are taking with the Wii is exactly the same shit with a nunchuck controller. The games are the same as they have always been.

That may be entirely so - but it doesn't appear that the games are:

1. Poorly selling.

2. Bad.

Seemingly, Nintendo still make top quality titles at times, and thus, continue to be a successful company, I guess.

z

That may be entirely so - but it doesn't appear that the games are:

1. Poorly selling.

2. Bad.

Seemingly, Nintendo still make top quality titles at times, and thus, continue to be a successful company, I guess.

z

disolusiond actually said that their business model works, which it does, take a look at some of the numbers I quoted off the wiki. 16,000,000 copies of New Super Mario Bros Wii.

Its quite telling really.

Especially when that game isn't a whole lot different to mario 2 or 3.

World maps, levels, suits/powerups, its all the same shit with coop and it works, people still want that.

Everyone cracked the shits when Sega took Sonic in new directions, it didn't work for them, but it worked for Nintendo when they made Mario 64, but what real changes have they made to the Mario franchise since then?

The fact is, they don't need to change the games to sell titles, add 3D here, add motion controls there, its still the same game style as the original.

But it works.

But with the Mario franchise, would you want to change anything in those games?

Ive played every Mario game since his debut on the NES. This series of game has given me the most rewarding experience that ive ever played. I wouldnt want these games to change; throw in some better graphics, some new puzzles and some shiny new bits and im lost again in my childhood.

The Mario franchise is the only series of games that have managed to keep me enthralled over all these years, and bring back that sense of wonder that has been lost with the newer generations of games.

Nintendo, dont go revolutionising what your doing. What your doing atm is perfect.

Just stop pumping out the gay ass knock off games. man, their just dragging a once respected IP into the ground...

But with the Mario franchise, would you want to change anything in those games?

Ive played every Mario game since his debut on the NES. This series of game has given me the most rewarding experience that ive ever played. I wouldnt want these games to change; throw in some better graphics, some new puzzles and some shiny new bits and im lost again in my childhood.

The Mario franchise is the only series of games that have managed to keep me enthralled over all these years, and bring back that sense of wonder that has been lost with the newer generations of games.

Nintendo, dont go revolutionising what your doing. What your doing atm is perfect.

Just stop pumping out the gay ass knock off games. man, their just dragging a once respected IP into the ground...

You played Hotel Mario, Mario Sunshine and all the shitty Mario sports games? Man I feel sorry for you.

Mario Sunshine and all the shitty Mario sports games? Man I feel sorry for you.

I thought Mario Sunshine and Mario Soccer (Strikers) on Wii were actually pretty impressive games!

z

So what is pokemon?

and kirby..

donky kong?

So what is pokemon?

and kirby..

donky kong?

He may have just forgotten those, but one thing is for sure, they don't pump those out as fast as they pump out mario games.

Speaking of which, is the new Donkey Kong any good?

Speaking of which, is the new Donkey Kong any good?

Yeh. I rate it. So do IGN, apparently. 9.x/10, IIRC.

NB: It is VERY devilishly hard. It feels like a game that Rareware would have made, in the hay-day. VERY HARD.

So what is pokemon?

and kirby..

donky kong?

Not being a massive Nintendo fan I don't know what Kirby is. Pokemon and Donkey Kong just reinforce the point I was making, that Nintendo's business model IS pumping out EXACTLY the same games over and over again. Isn't the new DK a remake of Donkey Kong Country with "this gen" graphics and sound? Isn't EVERY Pokemon game ever made exactly the same thing? Also, though Pokemon may be a massive franchise it can't touch what Mario is to Nintendo.

My original point was not to attack Nintendo or to dis the games they make, that would be stupid. I was challenging SceptreCore's statement, "How does business that doesn't change it's offerings, or try to expand for it's continuity, expected to survive?". In my opinion, and I challenge anyone to prove me wrong, Nintendo is successful BECAUSE they keep making the same QUALITY games repeatedly.

I think they may be slowing down on that trend a bit, they seem to be solely relying on Mario, Pokemon and Zelda now. Soon it will run out of steam, the trailers for the new Zelda game doesn't leave me with high hopes.