Sign in to follow this  
SlurmsMackenzie

"Nintendo: A Sad Story"

don't care much for the video.. Just reminds me of some of the kids these days... :P

As for mario and the iconic franchises from Nintendo. The great thing about mario and its spins offs are they are they are fresh enough, change/current enough for its iteration of the console/controls that its actually still a lot of fun. Sure there's been some rehashes with new super mario bros and the all-star packs but there's a still a market for old school gaming and thats great!

I think they do enough in mario games to differentiate it from previous titles compared to say a game like COD...

don't care much for the video.. Just reminds me of some of the kids these days... :P

As for mario and the iconic franchises from Nintendo. The great thing about mario and its spins offs are they are they are fresh enough, change/current enough for its iteration of the console/controls that its actually still a lot of fun. Sure there's been some rehashes with new super mario bros and the all-star packs but there's a still a market for old school gaming and thats great!

I think they do enough in mario games to differentiate it from previous titles compared to say a game like COD...

Call of Duty Set in WW2, playing as multiple soldiers for different countries.

Call of Duty 2 Set in WW2, playing as multiple Soldiers for different countries, better graphics, improved multiplayer and some extra "perks" in singleplayer. Was enough of a step forward to be regarded as a a successful sequel.

Call of Duty 3, set in WW2, but thats as far as my knowledge goes as the game was console only and I never played it.

COD 4, same thing again, but set in modern time, similar gameplay with a few extras, better controls, re-done multiplayer, a critically acclaimed game.

COD 5 set in WW2 but in a different theatre, once again multiplayer was different with lots of new things. Also had a new zombie survival game mode.

COD 6 set in modern times again, rehashed multiplayer, lots of cool new things in singleplayer, once again critically acclaimed.

COD 7 set in a different time frame again, which was never done for an FPS, once again completely different multiplayer and some cool new features in SP and MP.

Super Mario Bros, groundbreaking platformer, may have set the trend for many platformers that came after it, although I'm by no means a history buff.

SMB 2, most people hated it, although it added alot to the game, different characters with different attributes, items you could pick up and throw etc. a big step forward.

SMB 3 once again added some cool new stuff, suits, a world map etc.

Mario 64 took the game to the world of 3d alongside other games like Croc and Spyro, didn't pioneer the 3D platformer genre afaik.

Mario Sunshine, mario 64 with a water gun, cool new gameplay mechanic, but same core game.

Mario Galaxy, took mario into space with some cool physics and "waggle" controls, once again, not a massive step up.

New Super Mario Bros, Mario 1,2 and 3 in 3D, still a fun game but no real innovation.

Mario Galaxy 2, Mario Galaxy all over again with a few new things.

Now going by that brief (and honestly, uninformed) summary, I'd say they have had as little innovation as the COD series.

But its the same thing, if the formula works, why change it?

I played Mario Sunshine.

Yeah, that game was a definite low point for the series....

Just to be clear, i only play the actual Mario games, ie galaxy etc

Played a few of the knock offs, what pieces of rubbish...

and kirby..

Kirby is a poof.

Maybe so, but he tells an epic yarn.

BOOM TISH, BITCHES.

z

Very well. I shall confess that I know little of Nintendo's current games, their demographic, and popularity.

But if I did... I would be as sad as the people here defending Nintendo. I used to them Mario games... don't get me wrong. But I unfortunately... eventually had to pass the age of ten.

Very well. I shall confess that I know little of Nintendo's current games, their demographic, and popularity.

But if I did... I would be as sad as the people here defending Nintendo. I used to them Mario games... don't get me wrong. But I unfortunately... eventually had to pass the age of ten.

DUUUUUUUDE! RETRACT! RETRACT WHILE YOU STILL CAN! Nitti fanboys make every other fanboy look like mild enthusiasts. I wouldn't be surprised if you woke up tomorrow with a plumber stuffed up your arse to his ankles.

Funny thing, I'm not, nor have I ever been a nintendo fanboy, I don't mind some of the games, but I'm not a massive fan.

Just thought I'd point out that you were wrong.

DUUUUUUUDE! RETRACT! RETRACT WHILE YOU STILL CAN! Nitti fanboys make every other fanboy look like mild enthusiasts.

Mild compared to psychiatric hospital patients perhaps.

I wouldn't be surprised if you woke up tomorrow with a plumber stuffed up your arse to his ankles.

These are clearly the fantasies of the avid Nintendo fan. Please don't involve me in them please.

Funny thing, I'm not, nor have I ever been a nintendo fanboy, I don't mind some of the games, but I'm not a massive fan.

I'm not going to go digging through tedious facts when I might be right if I can wing it. But mark my words... eventually Nintendo will have to do something to get new clientel. And I don't mean by opening another love hotel chain again.

DUUUUUUUDE! RETRACT! RETRACT WHILE YOU STILL CAN! Nitti fanboys make every other fanboy look like mild enthusiasts.

Mild compared to psychiatric hospital patients perhaps.

I wouldn't be surprised if you woke up tomorrow with a plumber stuffed up your arse to his ankles.

These are clearly the fantasies of the avid Nintendo fan. Please don't involve me in them please.

I'm not going to go digging through tedious facts when I might be right if I can wing it. But mark my words... eventually Nintendo will have to do something to get new clientel. And I don't mean by opening another love hotel chain again.

I didn't need to go looking at the wikis before I replied to you, I just wanted to show you some evidence.

You're probably right though, if its been working for them for 35 years its all of a sudden going to change and no one will want Mario games anymore.

SceptreCore, I am not and have never been a Nintendo fan. I used to own a Wii but I sold it after a year because I never used the thing, I didn't even finish Mario Galaxy, I did enjoy what I played though. I also lived in a share house with a GameCube in it where I played Wind Waker a bit. That is the extent of my Nintendo gaming.

I don't particularly like Nintendo's style of games, never have. I just know how long they have been going strong with their tried and true formula. I know that their fans LOOOOOOOVE the games that they keep churning out. I can't see into the future but I know that Mario games will be made untill the day Nintendo closes it's doors. There will ALWAYS be a MASSIVE fan base just dying to lap up the next plate of same that Nintendo dishes out.

And don't say I didn't warn you when you have to pass a tradesman tomorrow morning.

I didn't need to go looking at the wikis before I replied to you, I just wanted to show you some evidence.

You're probably right though, if its been working for them for 35 years its all of a sudden going to change and no one will want Mario games anymore.

I love it how you're a bigger know-it-all than me. It's just awesome when I see you fail.

I love it how you're a bigger know-it-all than me. It's just awesome when I see you fail.

Hah, still got this agenda with me huh?

Don't know what your problem is mate, but might be time for you to grow the fuck up.

Edited by nukejockey

if you can't backup a claim with evidence then don't post it, simple.

opinions obviously are harder to backup but nukey proved you wrong with facts and you just chose to ignore them and say your probably still right.

I'm not going to go digging through tedious facts when I might be right if I can wing it.

There is a path to downfall, right there. If you intend to argue about something, or even, god forbid it, have a civilised debate about something, winging it doesn't cut it, if you're up against arguments that are well researched or thought out, either through experience or hard-study. Tedious facts are part of the way this world ticks - and if you ever want the "truth", you might just need them.

I believe you might owe nukejockey an apology.

Maybe we can get this thread back on track eh?

Meanwhile - I am not sure how much longer the franchise-push will work for either, honestly.

I wonder what would happen if Nintendo tried to introduce a new mascot? Have they tried it already and nobody noticed?

z

Edited by zebra

I'm not going to go digging through tedious facts when I might be right if I can wing it.

There is a path to downfall, right there. If you intend to argue about something, or even, god forbid it, have a civilised debate about something, winging it doesn't cut it, if you're up against arguments that are well researched or thought out, either through experience or hard-study. Tedious facts are part of the way this world ticks - and if you ever want the "truth", you might just need them.

I believe you might owe nukejockey an apology.

Maybe we can get this thread back on track eh?

Meanwhile - I am not sure how much longer the franchise-push will work for either, honestly.

I wonder what would happen if Nintendo tried to introduce a new mascot? Have they tried it already and nobody noticed?

z

Do they have a new one? Have they tried one? I can't think of any, but you may know something I don't.

As a matter of fact, you probably know alot of things I don't :P

Nintendo probably lost the mature group ever since losing the Gamecube to the PS2/Xbox to be honest. I suppose this is probably the reason why most games on the Wii are mostly young children to teens. And I do admit that there are some good mature games on it (see No More Heroes, Dead Space Extraction, etc) but I do wish there is some titles that are better suit for adults on the Wii.

And nukey, I do think they have several mascots on the Wii such as Rabbids and the like but not from Nintendo themselves these days.

Hah, still got this agenda with me huh?

Don't know what your problem is mate, but might be time for you to grow the fuck up.

Just a little forum rivalry. Nothing to get upset about. I always thought it was quite fun.

I was just expressing an opinion, from how I see it.

I was beaten with facts. Sure. But I still believe that at some point, Nintendo popularity will begin to dwindle. Especially considering even if Nintendo come out with something new... and fun. Microsoft and Sony will do their own version... and make it just as good, if not better. Add that to their already superior consoles, products, services and games. And the only reason you'd buy Nintendo... is for their own titles. Which as pointed out... doesn't really ever change.

And we're rivals why?

I'm tired of trying to figure out whatever your motives are, so please stop.

I don't think the average joe gives a shit about graphics.

Nintendo made a choice and it paid off. They made a "revolutionary" console with poor graphics to keep the price down and it worked REALLY well.

Thats innovation in its own way. Much like the DS was innovative with its dual screens and touch controls, the 3DS is trying to set the same standard with 3D that doesn't need glasses.

Will Nintendo's next console be another success? Who knows, only time will tell, but if they keep bringing innovation to the table, then I'd say they'll do fine in the console market.

As for Mario games, well I don't get it myself, but people seem to lap them up. Doesn't matter if its Mario and Sonic go to the Olympics or if its a AAA Mario title, people seem to love them regardless of how little they have changed.

I guess thats what happens when you get people that love brands unconditionally. Like all those Apply fanbois out there.

Edited by nukejockey