Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
argotha

Age of Empires Online

Borrowed from Nathan Lawrence on the main Atomic site.

Age of Empires Online

2011 is set to prove that Age of Empires isn't dead. Developed by Robot Entertainment, a studio formed by the founders of Ensemble Studios, Age of Empires Online will be a free-to-play real-time strategy title with cutesy graphics and a persistent world. The presence of Games for Windows Live is a tad disturbing, but the prospect of once again battling with and against friends in this beloved franchise has a strong appeal.

AOE online Website

I must say I have mixed thoughts about this game. The thought of having a new and improved AOE to play gets me excited. However The graphics, mythology and perpetual nature put me off. Okay so this is aimed at a more casual gamer but it takes away from awesome campaigns and scenarios that were born from it.

Until I found that you couldnt play AOK between Vista and other PCs, I was a huge fan of the game and sunk many hours into playing custom maps and creating my own (which I never published or finished but they were on a large scale).

However I can see this game becoming a huge hit among casual gamers and less serious gamers (not so casual but alot less serious than those who sink time into games like css).

Afterthought: May have forgotten about AOE3 while writing this...

Edited by argotha

Providing the strategy is there I dont see a problem personally

Age of Kings works on Windows 7 perfectly :P

i nearly started frothing at the mouth when i heard there was to be a new Age of Empires!

Then i saw the graphics and i felt let down. HARD...

After thinking about it for a little while though it does not seem too bad. It seems like it is going to be similar to the web based games like Tribalwars or Promisance, just on steroids.

The game has serious potential and i say good on them for thinking outside the square and trying something different, unlike a lot of other sequels that are basically the same game just better graphics and tweaks here and there.

Having said that if this game is successful i hope they think about creating a remake of the true RTS style AOE

Meh! too much of the Warcraft 3 type graphics.

I do not think this is worthy for it to be on PC but more on the windows phone!

Heh, I actually like the look of the graphics.

That cell shaded type look is cool.

And it's still an improvement on the AOE2 graphics (obviously), as long as it plays similarly, then no biggy.

tbh, I think they'd be better off making another Age of Mythology game. Or even another Rise of Nations.

Rise of nations is a VERY, VERY good game. Well up there in my list of best ever strategy games. The question i have is why hate AOE3 it was very cool, the card system loaned an amazing amount of flexibility and tuning to your pvp build in my opinion.

eh! what's with the comical look? they sure are after non-serious gamers...

But I guess I can see the appeal too. My girlfriend who has never liked AoE might just go for this one...

Rise of nations is a VERY, VERY good game. Well up there in my list of best ever strategy games. The question i have is why hate AOE3 it was very cool, the card system loaned an amazing amount of flexibility and tuning to your pvp build in my opinion.

Rise of legends was also good. technology race vs magical race vs magical/technology. provided nice balance...sadly lack of story and origin of the species and why they were at war.

Semi ontopic...I see a lot of AOE fans here. Are there any newer games that are recommended? Looking to find something for LAN's that's as easy to get into and as enjoyable as AOK

Gay, can't find my aoe2 disk grrrrr. Also, i played aoe3 once at a lan cafe with some friends. I enjoyed it but not as much as aoe2. Why did they take out the villagers?