iamthemaxx

The SSD Watch thread

Just saw this on Fud and was blown away by the speed that this thing gets to

OCZ is apparently working on yet another 3.5-inch SSD drive that will be the first one to use the HSDL (High Speed Data Link) interface, which promises a bandwidth of up to 20Gb/s via a SAS connector. The IBIS also features quad Sandforce controllers and delivers stunning transfer speeds.

As noted, the IBIS SSD is an 3.5-inch form factor SSD that features MLC NAND flash memory paired up with a total of four Sandforce SF-1222 controllers and offers transfer speeds of up to 740MB/s for maximum read and 720MB/s for maximum write. The guys from HotHardware managed to get one ahead of the launch and were quite surprised by the performance, especially with the fact that they could not find a comparable product.

The IBIS SSDs should become available during next few months, and it will be available in versions ranging from 100GB all the way to 960GB. all of them are already listed at Alternate.de with price ranging from €519 for the 100GB version all the way to €2,799 for the top notch 960GB version.

Linky: http://www.fudzilla.com/memory/item/20351-...ing-on-ibis-ssd

Pity about the price but good to see they are almost up to 1Gb

gah, ill keep my money in my pockets just a little longer then im pulling the trigger.

So what's the current recommendation on SSD's that are available NOW?

100gb and upwards?

Price not an issue at this point.

Cheers

(Oh, and cos I know SFA about SSD, where do they go? :) Do they fit into a 3.5" HDD bay and plug into a SATA port? )

Edited by Director

100gb and upwards?

Cheers

(Oh, and cos I know SFA about SSD, where do they go? :) Do they fit into a 3.5" HDD bay and plug into a SATA port? )

I dont know about other people, but my current SSD is the OCZ 120GB Vertex II which will set you back about $250. I did have the OCZ 60GB Vertex, although it was never full, I found I had to be pretty selective about what I put on it (considering that my Windows directory is already 15GB+). I have always maintained, that the sweetspot for an OS/software drive is about 120GB. However, at the time of my first SSD purchase, the 120 was just way over my budget. Of course there are the 240GB SSDs which go for well over $500 depending on brand and model.

As for installing the SSD, there are 2 ways. The first one came with a caddy that you had to screw it on to and that allowed it to fit in the 3.5" bays. However, since Ive got 2 of them now, Ive simply used double sided tape to tape the second one on the outside surface of the bay itself. As far as I know, SSDs only come in SATA, so yes, just plug it in to a SATA port. You may or may not have to update your firmware and stuff like that so I suggest doing some homework before actually installing Win7 or whatever you are using for an OS.

I'm a bit bummed at the price of a sandforce 120Gb driver worth buying atm, would have thought the price would be more reasonable by now.

I'm waiting for a sata3 SSD, I really don't see the point in such a fast drive that's bottlenecked by the connection.

Im buying a you finally quit your old job gift being a Vertex 2E 120gb ssd

Any better choices/looming tech i should wait for? my mobo is SATA 2 and i dont see my self upgrading for another two years or so.

So anyone actually used one of these hybrid drives? If so care to comment on it?

...I have one here. I can tell you plenty about them, if you wish. It'll take a good while ;).

z

Can you give us the short and sweet version without your head exploding in frustration, at not being able to tell all? I'd like to know about them.

100gb and upwards?

Cheers

As mentioned they're 1.8" or 2.5" (generally the latter) and usually come with 3.5" to 2.5" converters, tho TBH one screw in a 3.5" bay will work ok as they don't have any moving parts and weigh very little (not recommended for extended usage due to Murphy I guess lol). For drives, anything with the Sandforce series of controllers is ideal - some examples:

OCZ Vertex 2

OCZ Agility 2

G.Skill Phoenix 2

OCZ Force

MX Technology MX-DS

With price and warranty being the main separator of these. The Crucial C300 is also good (especially if you have SATA III). However I'd consider waiting a little longer if you can as the next gen (faster and cheaper per GB) are pretty close now (1-3 months).

So anyone actually used one of these hybrid drives? If so care to comment on it?

...I have one here. I can tell you plenty about them, if you wish. It'll take a good while ;).

z

Can you give us the short and sweet version without your head exploding in frustration, at not being able to tell all? I'd like to know about them.

I did a review here. The conclusion is: 'not bad - learns your behaviour and caches small files (non sequential reads, the platter drive's achillies heel) very cleverly, performance is maybe a third of the way between an SSD and a normal HDD. Overall a tad below a raptor'

Edited by philo-sofa

Looks like the SATA III 6gps drives are hitting the shelves.

Review: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?opti...4&Itemid=60

The 256GB CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1 model reveals an impressive 383 MBps maximum read speed that plateaus from 256-8192 KB file chunks, while the 227 MBps peak write bandwidth plateaus from 32-8192 KB. These results surpass the stated 355/215 MBps maximum given by Micron. For reference, Micron specifies the model CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1 Solid State Drive offers a maximum 355 MBps read and 215 MBps write performance. In many of our benchmark tests, the 256GB C300 performed at or above this rating.

The Crucial RealSSD-C300 offered up to 383/227 MBps read and writes speeds in ATTO Disk Benchmark trailed by 363/226 MBps in Crystal DiskMark, while Everest reported a 332/215 MBps linear bandwidth speed. Input/Output performance was modest in Iometer and HD-Tune, indicating that the CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1 model would perform extremely well for enthusiast consumers but not offer the high operational functionality needed in the Enterprise server sector.

Newegg has the 128gb version for $260 USD and $560 for the 256gb version.

So what else is out there?

It will be interesting to see if Micron's controller is better or as good as the newer sandforce, despite being sata3.

For the price, it's a big decision between that and a 120g vertex2 :/

EDIT: Well in aus it's still ~$355

Edited by morgoth

ive got a corsair in my rig ,120gig i think

cant really compare it to anything as this has been a whole new rig

if i got another one down the track i would make sure its big enough for your steam folder aswell as its only boot times for windows and games that your gonna need the quick seek times

if the raptors hadve been out at the time i bought my rig i wouldve bought one of those instead as i think ssds are still pretty new to the market(yes even new in computer terms)

but ive seen some of the ssds now plug straight into the mboards in a pcie slot so theres definately things changing(usb3.0 aswell)

so hold off till you get a new rig or the prices for the 200gig plus IMO

Well as Dasa pointed out to me.

You can have your full steam install on a mechanical drive, and copy a couple of your most used and heaviest loading games to a steam folder on the SSD, Just pick the steam exe from the appropriate location for the games you want and you get the best of both worlds!

now i wonder how much it will be...not to much i hope!

looks like a awsome drive!

now i wonder how much it will be...not to much i hope!

looks like a awsome drive!

obviously it will still be overpriced :P

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/11/03/2...e-Nixes-SLC-SSD

"Intel today launched a line of consumer solid state drives that replaces the industry's best selling X25-M line. The new 320 series SSD doubles the top capacity over the X25-M drives to 600GB, doubles sequential write speeds, and drops the price as much as 30% or $100 on some models. Intel also revealed its consumer SSDs have been outselling its enterprise-class SSDs in data centers, so it plans to drop its series of single-level cell NAND flash SSDs and create a new series of SSDs based on multi-level cell NAND for servers and storage arrays. Unlike its last SSD launch, which saw Intel use Marvell's controller, the company said it stuck with its own processing technology with this series."

corsair has quietly released a new ssd that looks decent

Corsair Performance 3 Series P3-128 128GB 2.5" SSD $348

Sequential Read/Write (using ATTO Disk Benchmark)Up to 410 MB/s sequential read — 210 MB/s sequential write

Corsair Performance 3 Series 256GB SSD $699

Up to 480 MB/s sequential read — 320 MB/s sequential write

looks like its half the speed in some tests and twice the speed in others vs sandforce

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3954/cors...view/index.html

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1567/

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3868/cors...view/index.html

Edited by Dasa