iamthemaxx

The SSD Watch thread

Holy crapola! Ends up being $191 delivered if you include 2 year insurance (probably a smart idea for an SSD).

Too bad they're "out of stock".

there out of stock as until now the largestl intel 330 was 180g and these are some of the first 240g listed as a preorder

it will be interesting to see how these upated prices filter down

edit well for better or worse its done and threw in a extra drive for a mate

Intel IN330240 SER 330 240GB SSD 2.5" SATA MLC DRIVE Usually ships in 7-14 days 3 $136.99 $410.97

Samsung SAMV3V4G3DUS 2x 4 GB DDR3 Desktop SDRAM (1600 MHz PC3-12800) $49.00

Sub Total

$459.97

Shipping

$52.06

Total

$512.03

Edited by Dasa

Hrrrrm. I was planning on going a Sandisk Extreme 240GB for my build but this is looking tempting. Am I likely to see a great deal of difference in performance between the two? Intel 330 is 500/450 MB/s and 22.5k/33k IOPS vs 550/520 MB/s and 39k/83k IPS for the Sandisk.

I can get 1x Sandisk 240GB for $250 or 2x Intel 240GB for $336 delivered. Decisions decisions decisions...

Hrrrrm. I was planning on going a Sandisk Extreme 240GB for my build but this is looking tempting. Am I likely to see a great deal of difference in performance between the two? Intel 330 is 500/450 MB/s and 22.5k/33k IOPS vs 550/520 MB/s and 39k/83k IPS for the Sandisk.

I can get 1x Sandisk 240GB for $250 or 2x Intel 240GB for $336 delivered. Decisions decisions decisions...

in some things you may notice a difference but going by the time it takes to load windows 7 or skyrim in these tests your not likely to notice a difference in standard things like that

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1528...load-times.html

Well I hope I didn't do something stupid ... saw the Crucial M4 256GB SSD's on sale on bhphotovideo.com and grabbed two of them instead. Ended up $186 ea including postage. That's $0.72/GB compared to $0.70/GB for the Intel 330's so I'm happy with that.

I know the M4's aren't the latest and greatest tech, but they're still decent and more importantly (for me) they have a good rep for reliability and avoided all the Sandforce controller issues. They also still have the quickest boot time per Tom's Hardware SSD Heirarchy Chart, so hopefully that means they're still decent performers.

i was rather tempted by the extra size of the m4 as well maybe i should have gone that way but no mater to late now

so how did you go Moph did your order get confirmed? mine got cancelled :( should have gone the m4

hoping they will drop the price on the 512g m4 back to the $360 it was at a while back

from the email

(This is a new product whose price and availability have not yet been determined, and it was regretfully posted to our website in error. We delayed sending this notification while we tried doing our best to arrange receipt of this item, but Intel has confirmed that we will not receive this item in time to fill your order, and we apologize for both the delay and the error.)

so how did you go Moph did your order get confirmed? mine got cancelled :( should have gone the m4

Mate that sucks =(

Yeah mine's on it's way ... UPS tracking is all over the shop with it being scanned into Perth before it was scanned out of Singapore and similar weird stuff, but the important one was the 29/7 11:09am Import Scan in Perth. Will likely ship out today (Monday) I suspect, though scheduled delivery is tomorrow.

Am regretting not bunging a 60GB SSD on there for my third PC. Am building two new ones and rebuilding my existing workstation for my wife, so may as well drop SSD's in all of them while I'm at it. Will probably stop past MSY tonight and pick up a 64GB Samsung 830 series for $83 if they have one in stock.

nice

only $3 difference in the 64g samsung 830 anyway just a shame the price on 512g drives in au is ~$600 vs ~$400

I just bought a 480GB SATA3 SSD Sandisk for $399 from MSY. Enough room for win7 and games :D. Pretty happy.

Not sure whether this is the place (ie what we are watching, the disc, the prices, the maker...) or whether it has been answered before but...

How many disk errors is normal for an SSD, ie when should I be looking at replacing the drive?

I've been having trouble with boot times and other access issues recently which after a BSOD and difficulty getting back in - I ended up getting back in by waiting a coupe of hours to ensure that any residual 'memory' had gone before restarting - looks to have been caused by a number of bad sectors built up over the last year. When I did the CHKDSK I wrote down all the files and they came to about 26 with bad sectors. Seems to be working ok since and the AV is now working again (it kept throwing a shitty on the files with bad sectors).