iamthemaxx

The SSD Watch thread

Once they can get Vista and SSds playing along well soon, then I'd give it 12 months and most laptops beyond the budget range will be SSD.

Longer term I wouldn't want to be a minor player in the magnetic HD market (which I guess is why Fujitsu looks to be selling to WD).

The mag hard disk market will end up being either budget OEM, or mass storage options - I'm sure it's not just competition that's seeing 1TB drives getting so cheap. The HDD manufacturers want people addicted to downloading movies and TV shows, doing video editing, and believing you need a couple of 500GB drives in a machine, because people consuming 50GB/month of disk space won't consider a SSD.

Agreed.

But I think that you will see the big name brands such as; Seagate, WD, Samsung, and Hitachi.... extending Magnetic drives for as long as possible. They could in fact continue to improve.. and increase the densities of the drives for years to come. WE may even see 2TB drives with only 2 platters, ya never know!

Also, still no word on if Windows 7 will be optimized for SSD's, but time will tell.

Id be interested to see, like other sites, a comparison, to read/write speeds, between the X25 and the top of the line HDD/s.

Seagate commands respect. I don't think it matters when they enter. When they do people will flock to them. Its the real manufacturers that could totally change the game. intel, samsung, ibm and amd, who have the facilities to to produce their own flash and drives. On another note: What the Fuck is AMD doing. winge winge we cant fill our fabs to capacity. Make ssd's with the left over capacity you jerks!

It would definitely be interesting if intel and AMD ended up being the largest HDD manufacturers. With samsung and the traditional hdd makers trialing after them. but first AMD needs to make one.

I started using a enterpise class 32GB SSD drive for my VM's today. I must admit, it's noticeably faster, but it's not $700 faster ;)

I started using a enterpise class 32GB SSD drive for my VM's today. I must admit, it's noticeably faster, but it's not $700 faster ;)

What brand and model are you using??? Like I said in my previous posts, although the new X-25 SSD has blistering read speeds it is brought back down to earth with its terrible write speeds which is about on par with a run of the mill 7200rpm Seagate HDD. I agree, its fast but not worth the money at the moment.

What the Fuck is AMD doing. winge winge we cant fill our fabs to capacity. Make ssd's with the left over capacity you jerks!

It would definitely be interesting if intel and AMD ended up being the largest HDD manufacturers. With samsung and the traditional hdd makers trialing after them. but first AMD needs to make one.

What In The Fuck Of All That Is Good And Awesome In This World Are You Talking About Fool?

Thats not a bad idea HC, first person to make a case mod of that with a bunch of floating ssd's in their case is the winner - their pocket is the looser though.

$300 for 64GB is really bad value when compared with traditional hard drives, in terms of storage value for money at least.

1TB at approx. $150 = 15c/GB

64GB SSD at $300 = $4.68/GB

Yowsah :/

when harddisks started to become more available the cost difference per mb between floppies and hdd's was just like that i suppose :P

At the moment, most SSDs are either enterprise level peripherals or for laptops. The cost just isn't good enough for consumer level usage. Intel, with its MLC tech SSD in the X-25, has already said that at the moment costs for such devices will be high and mainly suited for enterprise level equips. HDDs will be around for awhile yet till SSDs make some significant in-roads to lowering cost and increasing capacity.

Id certainly splurge on an SSD if SanDisk can do what they are claiming. The only reason I havent bought one already is exactly that, write speeds.

sorry tangential rant.

I should think so... you've earned yourself a timeout.

You told someone to put their hdd in a freezer because the bearings might be warn out. Time out for you too....

/back to thread

I've thought about getting an SSD but im honestly more concerned about drive life than anything else. 5 year life estimates out there are scary. Has anyone done testing on them in an industrial setting? Put a few drives through constant read/write to see how long they last.

Im waiting with baited breath for this one. I am even planning the best course of action when it comes to using one of these babies.