iamthemaxx

The SSD Watch thread

I have added the following SSD's and raid to my cart, before i checkout can anybody think of a bottle neck here?

intel x-25 80 gig (* 2)

Adaptec RAID 5405 Controller (1.2GHz Dual Core RAID on Chip (ROC) 256 mb cache)

i7 920 oc to 3.8

gigabyte x58 extreme

gigabyte gtx 295

Team Xtreem 6GB (3x 2GB) DDR3-1866/PC3-15000 Memory

Got a 64GB SSD from G.Skill yesterday. Working as advertised in my antique KT800 chipset PC. Unfortunately the onboard SATA won't recognise the drive, so got it working via a PCI RAID card with Sil3112 chip. Fast, do I need to say quiet? Lovin' it. $259 at MSY.

This is a bit of a look back at the performance of an Intel MLC over a year;

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/13/2337258

There was something about this on Atomic Mag some issues ago. Ultimately, the main idea of getting one of these is to increase your read speeds. To get the most out of it, youd want to limit your writes as much as possible. Again, reference to the article on Atomic Mag. The discussion eventually gets bogged down with rubbish.

New developments afoot.

Looks like there is a "budget" SSD that may well be worth your money. I say "budget" because a 60GB drive is still around $380. But it doesn't suffer from the stuttering issue.

OCZ's Vertex is the drive.

Big write up at Anandtech

Review of new drives starts here-ish

Whole article in print view - definitely worth the read, all 31 pages.

I'm still going to wait till they halve in price or more (I think $150 for 50G, $300 for 100G is where I would crack) before heading into the world of SSD, but they are starting making an argument for themselves in the desktop arena now. Hopefully Win7 will support the TRIM cmd by the time prices get around that region.

But which drives have the 'better' controllers?

Intel - And any of the rebages, of which I'm aware of one but can't remember the make.

OCZ's Vertex - Which uses Indilinx controllers, any drive with these controllers will be good.

Samsung's - They are okay, but not as good as Indilinx.

Any other SSD isn't worth considering in my opinion.

maxxie: That's just part of how SSDs roll, due to the limitations (or assumptions) of SATA commands though, right? Until they add an erase command to SATA, and/or compartmentalise data more on the disk (which has it's own issues), and/or get around the 'writing to one part of a block' issue, this slowdown will exist.

While firmware cache can help to a degree, if it's intelligently introduced, or OSes stop writing small packages of data to the SSD, then it's going to be a problem. All that can be done, is basically under-reporting drives to give you more time till the deterioration kicks in.

It's basically the defrag problem rebooted, and rebadged.

The way SSDs manage data, when combined with our current storage tech, causes an eventual slowdown. Instead of fragmentation causing huge mid-file seeks, this is the "read-to-write" conundrum.

Of course, it can be sorted easily, by having a SATA 'wipe' command for certain bits, and allowing the OS to send these commands at times the OS isn't busy or some-such (or slowing deletes a LOT).

The delete command you speak of is called 'Trim' and should be supported by windows 7. but its uncertain if current ssd's will support the trim command when implimented.

The delete command you speak of is called 'Trim' and should be supported by windows 7. but its uncertain if current ssd's will support the trim command when implimented.

As I understand it, it needs to be supported by the SATA standard.

New developments afoot.

Looks like there is a "budget" SSD that may well be worth your money. I say "budget" because a 60GB drive is still around $380. But it doesn't suffer from the stuttering issue.

OCZ's Vertex is the drive.

Big write up at Anandtech

Review of new drives starts here-ish

Whole article in print view - definitely worth the read, all 31 pages.

I'm still going to wait till they halve in price or more (I think $150 for 50G, $300 for 100G is where I would crack) before heading into the world of SSD, but they are starting making an argument for themselves in the desktop arena now. Hopefully Win7 will support the TRIM cmd by the time prices get around that region.

That was a good read, thanks. I was wondering about this:

Posted Image

and then...

Interesting; good to see.

PCCaseGear has the 30GB Vertex on sale at the moment.

$229 down from $299

Edit:

Also Anand mentioned that the Vertex should support the TRIM command with a firmware update, and that a review of the 30GB and 60GB models is in the works.

Edited by MisterK

the whole fragmentation thing has put me off somewhat.

Though by the time I'll be buying one I'm guessing it will be solved :)

What makes those Intel ones so good?

(don't worry about bang for buck)

You need to read the articles linked above :)

This one page has a good summary of part of the problem...

I'd read most of them except that one, thanks Macca.

I think I'll hang off with you for the moment.

My RAID 0 for O/S is running fine and fast for the moment.