iamthemaxx

The SSD Watch thread

What makes those Intel ones so good?

(don't worry about bang for buck)

You need to read the articles linked above :)

This one page has a good summary of part of the problem...

That was an enlightening read...

Cheers Mac

Sad face here, cause I just found out how much these things cost. There arent any relased figures yet but apprently, the current 80GB version of the ioDrive is about 3k-4k depending on where you look. So the ioDrive duo will be that and above, depending on size, making the 1.2TB version cost up in the 5 figure section. Another thing to sad face about is that it cant be used as a boot drive. So...out of reach and of no use >.<

From here:

My SSD testing is progressing well. There are a couple of items worth reporting on.

1) Windows 7 does currently support TRIM.

2) No SSDs currently enable TRIM support under Windows 7.

OCZ is expected to have TRIM support on its Vertex drives shortly, potentially within the next month from what I've read on their forums. Samsung's latest drive will have TRIM support once Microsoft has released Windows 7; I'm guessing that means September/October.

Intel is remaining curiously quiet on the TRIM issue. I would like to see the existing X25-M drives retrofitted with TRIM as I think that would be a tremendous goodwill gesture on Intel's part; I get that the X25-M is already the fastest thing on the market, but that's no reason to avoid thanking your customers for their support in my mind.

SSDs worth having are soooo very close. I think this Christmas is going to be all about the solid.

Can someone tell me (an SSD noob) what would be a good performance SSD to buy for my Studio 15 laptop, it will just save me quiet a lot of time searching since I am not really up on whats the latest and greatest but was thinking a 60 or 120gb OCZ Sumit drive might be good?

edit: its probably going to become my main machine and I will sell my desktop to help with car repayments.

Edited by nesquick

Can someone tell me (an SSD noob) what would be a good performance SSD to buy for my Studio 15 laptop, it will just save me quiet a lot of time searching since I am not really up on whats the latest and greatest but was thinking a 60 or 120gb OCZ Sumit drive might be good?

edit: its probably going to become my main machine and I will sell my desktop to help with car repayments.

What's your budget?

I would recommend either an OCZ Vertex or Agility. Or a G.Skill Falcon.

Any Indilinx Controller based SSD actually.

The Intel ones are better all round but they are much more expensive. But they are about to release 32nm, cheaper and bigger, or so the rumours go.

The Samsung based ones (like the OCZ Summit) are fine. But they aren't as good as either the Intels or Indilinx at random writes, which is important.

Wait a bit.

They'll only get cheaper and better.

Ok, yea I don't know if I want to fork out $600 on a HDD yet :P

Wait a bit.

They'll only get cheaper and better.

Ok, yea I don't know if I want to fork out $600 on a HDD yet :P

$600 ?

You can get a good 60GB SSD for ~$260

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2009/...or-netbooks.ars

A new report from iSuppli highlights the recent, very dramatic rebound in NAND flash prices, and suggests that this is bad news for SSD adoption in the cost-sensitive netbook market

Apparently there has been a 127% increase in 16Gb MLC NAND module's!

Ouchies!! Thats put a stop sign on things hasnt it.

http://feeds.arstechnica.com/~r/arstechnic...boost-speed.ars

Intel has announced two new solid state disk drives made on its leading-edge 34nm process. The two new SSDs are X25M SATA parts weighing in at 80GB and 160GB, and they're meant to replace Intel's existing X25M drives in those capacities, but at 60 percent less cost and with better performance. The 80GB X25-M is $225 in lots of 1,000 (down from $595), and the 160GB is $440 (from $945).

That's a pretty huge price drop!

wow!

By the time I get to build my Windows 7 box, these might be the go :)

wow!

Yeaaaah! Then we can all call you Windows Dude!

wow!

Yeaaaah! Then we can all call you Windows Dude!

Boom.....tish!

Just a question on controllers, do Intel's SSD come with their own controller as apposed to say OCZ SSD coming with Indillix? And what are the performance differences between the 2??