iamthemaxx

The SSD Watch thread

OK, has anyone heard anything about A-Ram? They seem new to the market and I expect are rebadging someone else's. Performance on their 128GB Pro looks good at 240/140, uses the Barefoot controller and is shipping with TRIM support. And can be found for as cheap as $372 here in Aus.

http://www.a-ram.com/ProductDetails.asp?ID=52

All too good to be true?

In terms of specs, it looks like a decent model. I'm personally waiting for more SandForce drives, since they appear to be the superior controller.

Heh, I just realised it was an MLC based drive. The Barefoot controller was designed for SLC flash memory AFAIK, so you might want to do some research first.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Barefoot can run both types of flash. Vertex is MLC, Vertex EX is SLC. Both use the same controller.

The A-ram drive seams to be marginally better than the OCZ agillity. Thing is, it might be like a falcon and destroy all of the data on the drive when you flash it with new firmware - where as the ocz drives retain all the data.

I can't find any reviews on the drive. I'd also be interested in the longevity of the drive and it's data retention rate. MLC always rings alarm bells for me.

Howdy all,

I just picked up one of the A-RAM Pro Series 64GB today that I plan on using in my HTPC setup. This is my first SSD so I don't have much to compare it to at the moment, however if there is any diagnostic / testing / benchmark software you want me to run on it, please just let me know.

I'll be back (hopefully) later this evening to plug it in and give it a test.

Cheers all !

Apparently they're pretty good. Still expensive though. I wonder if they're clearing stock for the new Sandforce controller.

Good point. I haven't looked properly, but I think the OCZ prices have been dropping...

Are there any SSDs with SandForce controllers available yet?

I couldn't find any available retail myself, but saw some reviews of predominantly engineering samples.

Is it worth waiting for these - it looks like they seem to have W/R speeds in the order of ~250MB/s. I was otherwise looking at getting an A-RAM Ultra 128GB.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/10/02/1...Density-1TB-SSD

"A new partnership between Toshiba and Tokyo's Keio University has led to the creation of a new technology that could allow SSDs up to 1TB in size to be made "with a footprint no larger than a postage stamp." The report states that the two have been able to integrate 128GB NAND Flash chips and a single controller into a stamp-sized form factor. They've even made it operational with a transfer rates of 2Gbps (or about 250MB/sec) with data transfer that relies on radio communication."

Performance wise I've been very happy with the 256 gig TorqX I bought about 6 months ago. I've had Windows 7 installed on it and the boot times, game load speeds are very snappy.

I wouldn't purchase another Patriot TorqX however, for one simple reason. Jumper required to change firmware and you can't do it to a drive considered your system drive AND it formats.

So any time a new firmware comes out that has better performance I have to weigh up the time and annoyance it takes actually install it.

I'm not sure WTF they were thinking. Other drives you can install a firmware on, why the hell not this one? Jeeze.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Patriot-S...n-LSI,9791.html

A sustained rate of 155,000 IOPS/s is generated by using forty 256GB TorqX SSDs connected to five LSI SAS PCI-E controllers. According to the TechPowerUP article, the system supposedly is able to "rip an entire Blu-ray in 0.9 seconds." Clearly, this is impossible as no optical drive can manage that. What more likely happened was that a reporter misquoted Patriot.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Patriot-S...n-LSI,9791.html

A sustained rate of 155,000 IOPS/s is generated by using forty 256GB TorqX SSDs connected to five LSI SAS PCI-E controllers. According to the TechPowerUP article, the system supposedly is able to "rip an entire Blu-ray in 0.9 seconds." Clearly, this is impossible as no optical drive can manage that. What more likely happened was that a reporter misquoted Patriot.

I might actually be able to host a properly workable exchange environment on that. :D

I wonder what the pricing is like.

I might actually be able to host a properly workable exchange environment on that. :D

I wonder what the pricing is like.

Ahahahahaha!

nice DrBOOST

i should have a 32g A-RAM pro $149 arrive any day now for a atom work pc

will be interesting to see how they go and compare results

Edited by Dasa

nice DrBOOST

Review it! There's literally no information about these drives. If you have a website, writing a review will guarantee hits. Otherwise, post it here and generate some traffic for Atomic. :)

Also, Corsair are about to release Sandforce drives!

http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=8472

nice DrBOOST

Review it! There's literally no information about these drives. If you have a website, writing a review will guarantee hits. Otherwise, post it here and generate some traffic for Atomic. :)

Also, Corsair are about to release Sandforce drives!

http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=8472

according to fudzilla, OCZ are also about to release drives based on the sandforce controllers :) (sadly still way outa my budget, but I can wait for sata3 SSD's)

well the drive is here

in the atom it is scoring

hddtach

seq read 140-200mbps 177av

0.1ms

as ssd benchmark

seq read 146.36mb/s write 39.82mb/s

4k 16.56mb/s 3.55mb/s

4k-64thrd 27.59mb/s 3.45mb/s

0.182ms 0.937ms

not great at this stage but then the opteron 170 was topping out at 100mb/s with it

hopefully i will have the i3 going tomorow just need to hacksaw the waterblock mount

atom loads win7 black screen in ~10sec in windows by ~17sec cursor hour glass gone by the time 20 secs is up

so around 20 seconds from when windows starts to load to being able to freely use the mouse not bad sure seems to leave my samsung 1tb f1 for dead

atom is using ~10w standby\off 23w idle 26-31w load and it feals so wrong when you turn on a pc with no moving parts if it wasnt for the monitor lighting up you would think it dead

Edited by Dasa

well the drive is here

in the atom it is scoring

hddtach

seq read 140-200mbps 177av

0.1ms

as ssd benchmark

seq read 146.36mb/s write 39.82mb/s

4k 16.56mb/s 3.55mb/s

4k-64thrd 27.59mb/s 3.45mb/s

0.182ms 0.937ms

Yeah, the Atom platform would be lucky to supply SATA1 speeds.

well its safe to say numbers are all over the place

testing difference between h55 controller and onboard pci controller each is faster in a different test but at the end of the day its fairly close to the atom in most tests although a fair bit quicker in one or two

Posted Image

also testing the first gen 74g raptor its getting 63m seq write but 4k write is only 1.5mb so twice as fast ass ssd in in one test and half the speed in the next

will test wd black 1tb as well and maybe samsung 1tb f1

edit

looks like the ssd may be out of alignment whatever that means... looking into it now

1TB WD Black IDE Mode

Posted Image

Raptor 74g (old) IDE Mode

Posted Image

A-RAM 32g IDE Mode h55 controller

Posted Image

A-RAM 32g AHCI Mode h55 controller

Posted Image

A-RAM 32g IDE Mode mb-pci controller

Posted Image

well thats interesting

h55 controller dose better in AHCI mode than IDE

but whats more interesting is that the pci controller dose better at the lower end having a higher minimum read speeds but lower max

however when i enabled AHCI it died in the ass and the max speed dropped down to 130mb instead of improving in performance like the h55 controller did

test rig :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

different cpu/mb/ram from the screenshot im afraid the pic of the case is a little out dated

Edited by Dasa

Holy crap dude, you need to resize some of those pictures so they aren't so heavy.

sorry about that changed them all over to thumb thats ok im guessing?

and will add wd black soon

added wd black so all done

drive is a long way short of its rated speed and performs fairly bad for a drive with a Indilinx controller but still better than jmicron

for a $150 drive its performance is well ahead of similar priced mechanical hdd provided 32g is enough space id say its good value

Edited by Dasa

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/10/03/0...t-SSD-Advantage

storagedude writes "This article discusses using solid state disks in enterprise storage networks. A couple of problems noted by the author: wear leveling can eat up most of a drive's bandwidth and make write performance no faster than a hard drive, and using SSDs with RAID controllers brings up its own set of problems. 'Even the highest-performance RAID controllers today cannot support the IOPS of just three of the fastest SSDs. I am not talking about a disk tray; I am talking about the whole RAID controller. If you want full performance of expensive SSDs, you need to take your $50,000 or $100,000 RAID controller and not overpopulate it with too many drives. In fact, most vendors today have between 16 and 60 drives in a disk tray and you cannot even populate a whole tray. Add to this that some RAID vendor's disk trays are only designed for the performance of disk drives and you might find that you need a disk tray per SSD drive at a huge cost.'"

Are Intel x25-m 80gb worth $400? I really need some encouragement before I fork out that much money tomorrow :S