SlurmsMackenzie

Uni offers

heh I got my offer last month since I was not waiting for an OP although I knew I would get into what I applied for since I already have done 1 year of it :P

I was hoping for a course in UTS but communication @ Penrith UWS will have to do I guess!

back in the day when I was applying I put an unrealistic choice as #1 and #2 in the hope that that might get me into #3 or #4.

I got what I wanted even though I did not have the OP that I thought was required for that course

engo/comm (electrical) at UNSW

Nice. My program (Computer Engineering) is a mix of electrical and computer science. Believe me when I say you need to be good with math. :P

engo/comm (electrical) at UNSW

Nice. My program (Computer Engineering) is a mix of electrical and computer science. Believe me when I say you need to be good with math. :P

Pfft, engineering blows. Comp Sci is where it's at!

Post totally not influenced by me trying a second year Elecric/Computer engineering subject and failing miserably halfway through.

Apparently actually doing first year subjects may of helped. ;-P

Pfft, engineering blows. Comp Sci is where it's at!

Post totally not influenced by me trying a second year Elecric/Computer engineering subject and failing miserably halfway through.

Apparently actually doing first year subjects may of helped. ;-P

Computer scientists are some of the laziest people I've ever met, yet just as many are brilliant minds.

Ahhh, so young, so naive. Give it a few years and you will see what how pointless everything is.

If you want to succeed in your degree, don't go for good marks. Instead just suck up to the students who do all the work and copy off them. Also suck up to the lecturers and try to become friends with them (this one will help you in your final year if you're doing engineering).

Also, try to get a job in your field as quickly as possible, and again suck up to the bosses. Once you finish uni, this will be much much more important than marks, hard work or dedication.

Being personable and having friends in high places is much more important (if you want to make money) than being intelligent.

slimdog360, it disappoints me that you condone plagarism, especially in a thread full of new students. You can't fuck around in engineering and expect to get lucky when you graduate (assuming you're capable of passing at all). Get caught plagiarizing and that's the end of your career.

Put in the effort and learn the content. No one is going to be there to help you when you're in the exam room. This isn't high school, the content comes in thick and fast, and you're expected to keep up with it.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Ahhh, so young, so naive. Give it a few years and you will see what how pointless everything is.

If you want to succeed in your degree, don't go for good marks. Instead just suck up to the students who do all the work and copy off them. Also suck up to the lecturers and try to become friends with them (this one will help you in your final year if you're doing engineering).

Also, try to get a job in your field as quickly as possible, and again suck up to the bosses. Once you finish uni, this will be much much more important than marks, hard work or dedication.

Being personable and having friends in high places is much more important (if you want to make money) than being intelligent.

It is sad that you have that attitude.

To the new students: enjoy uni. Relish the chance to learn new things (after all, you are paying a fair bit of money to go to uni, might as well get your money's worth!). Be the student that does all the work (but don't let people copy off you- if they get caught you get punished as well. By all means 'help' them by pointing them in the right direction though).

I've enrolled in one class, I've got a meeting next week to try to get into two more. Let's hope I don't end up spending an extra semester in undergrad!

1. Student plaigarism doesn't work forever. Eventually, you will be caught or have no one to copy from.

2. Teaching staff dislike suck ups. (I work with them so trust me)

3. Employers will often interview multiple experienced candidates. I've helped run job interviews and when it's close we prefer dn/hd over cr/pp. Generally, we will not consider candidates who are mostly cr/pp.

4. Good marks got me a job interview within the university. I worked my way to a management position while still studying. (Good marks do open doors)

Edited by sm1ddy

4. Good marks got me a job interview within the university. I worked my way to a management position while still studying. (Good marks do open doors)

True. You'd much rather hear "these are some impressive marks" over "is there a particular reason why they're low?" in a job interview.

Maybe your star doesn't shine as bright as you think.

So did everyone get what they were hoping for? I got my first preference Bachelor of Science in information technology at UTS so I'm pretty happy.

Have fun! I'm doing that too, but I'm going into my second year - the year you focus on your major.

Hopefully you make your choice as to what area of IT you want to focus on after you finish the core subjects this year. :D

Instead just suck up to the students who do all the work and copy off them.

I hate idiots that don't put in. They bring everyone's marks down. I refuse to drag slackers over the finish line in group assignments and let the head know they're not putting in.

And it's not sucking up to lecturers that gets you through. It's bringing them your work and asking if you're on the right track or reviewing what else needs to be included that gets you noticed and gets you the right answers. If you can show you're making an effort, you get given a lot more advice than if you just ask them to tell you how to do everything.

I'm doing Chem and Bio this year. Fun times ahead.

Edited by Gir

If you can show you're making an effort, you get given a lot more advice than if you just ask them to tell you how to do everything.

This times eleventy billion...

If you can show you're making an effort, you get given a lot more advice than if you just ask them to tell you how to do everything.

This times eleventy billion...

That times twenty-two-y billion.

Rob.