james91

need new thermal paste.

ok as the title says. i need a new themal paste for my cpu as i upgraded my motherboard.

so i dunno if this matters but im using a 1090T (not overclocked) with a h50 cooler.

am looking for a descent paste but without spending to much money on it.

looking at buying it from msy as it is the closest store to me.

any help would be great.

ok as the title says. i need a new themal paste for my cpu as i upgraded my motherboard.

so i dunno if this matters but im using a 1090T (not overclocked) with a h50 cooler.

am looking for a descent paste but without spending to much money on it.

looking at buying it from msy as it is the closest store to me.

any help would be great.

id just go a tube of Arctic Silver 5.. its what i got and it seems fine. or that noctura stuff? theres heaps of cheap stuff ones on ebay but they are mainly no name brands so dont know the quality but they are very cheap.

The Antec Formula 5 seems quite alright too and it's a decent size tube. I like AS5 but I keep giving it away to friends so that don't use that horrid white crud.

The Antec Formula 5 seems quite alright too and it's a decent size tube. I like AS5 but I keep giving it away to friends so that don't use that horrid white crud.

And remember that horrible chewing gum stuff they used to put on the standard heat sinks that came pre-packaged with your cpu ? It would dry out and go hard in no time flat lol.

Makes shit all difference really.

As it's on topic, you think there's virtually no performance differences between brands then? I have some Thermalright "The Chill Factor" that I got with my TRUE 120 18 months ago. As good as any other paste on the market?

As it's on topic, you think there's virtually no performance differences between brands then? I have some Thermalright "The Chill Factor" that I got with my TRUE 120 18 months ago. As good as any other paste on the market?

Should be fine. There's usually a single degree difference between pastes (unless you get some really dodgy stuff). Application is where it counts.

IC Diamond

IC Diamond was originally designed as a high reliability T1 compound for use between the IHS and CPU. IC Diamond is highly bulk loaded with over 92% micronized diamond particles to limit pump out due to thermal cycling.

???

I use Zalman Super thermal grease, the only time i notice a major chance in temp is when i reseat a shitty Hp/Dell prebuilt pc with the same heatsink, did it for my dad on his pentium D 935 and got a 8 degree temp diffrence

late reply but i just wanted to see how good it was going to be. and i must say i am impressed with the difference from my old thermal paste.

thanks everyone

That's my thoughts too, maybe a degree or two for standard users. As for the white gunk, I don't have any problems using the "white gunk" and I have no temperature problems with my CPUs or GPUs.

DO: Buy a syringe of any old thermal crap at the computer markets.

DONT: Fiddle around with the syringe and spill white shit all over your car stereo.

Bah - just grab the nearest toothpaste tube. Better yet, Vegemite!

(In all seriousness, the above-linked article is very good at explaining differences between various compounds even if it is a few years old.)

Pretty much.

X-Bit recently did a roundup of thermal pastes. Part 1 and Part 2.

Really you're only looking at about 5C difference in temps between them.

Pretty much.

X-Bit recently did a roundup of thermal pastes. Part 1 and Part 2.

Really you're only looking at about 5C difference in temps between them.

5c is a fairly big jump if you're looking to get a few extra mhz out of an overclock.

5 is a damn big jump in my books.

Considering I like overclocking but am also an air-cool freak.

wow, TG-1 did really well. im impressed. Though not once did they test Arctic Silver?

Meh, In reality, if it has metal (or equivalnt heat transfer addative) in it, and you have to buy it seperately, you're probably good to go.

That's 5 from best to worst. There's only a degree or two between the best and the mean.

Certainly nothing to justify the price differences.

Edited by SquallStrife

It's what I use.

Comes in a big tube so I don't need to bother about wasting my time and money on other stuff.

That's 5 from best to worst. There's only a degree or two between the best and the mean.

Certainly nothing to justify the price differences.

True, though I find they're all about the $10 mark for a decent tube.

But yeah, the few that are $20+ can bite me.