tantryl

Good completed tv series

No you don't, it's fucking horrendous. I don't know why it still sullies my hard drive.

Downloading it doesn't count as "having" it on a sad level when you were replying to someone who had bought all the DVDs and was considering buying more BluRays.

Yup, If i was to purchase infinity, that would be ever stargate thing ever released that I'd own. No matter how ba dit is, i must complete the collection.

Shameless...not sure if it's completed yet, though....but get into it. Fucking great show.

Shameless...not sure if it's completed yet, though....but get into it. Fucking great show.

UK or US "Shameless"?

I can't bring myself to try the US version, having loved the UK version.

Haven't seen the US version, I only speaketh about the UK version.

US version was good but a very different take. I'd still check it out I enjoyed it.

I forgot that I didn't go into why I like Day Break.

It's a time-loop sci-fi action thriller starring Taye Diggs. It manages to balance all the elements really well, has a lot of good actors in it, and resolves itself adequately by the end of the one and only 13 episode season. Well worth a watch for the nerdy among us (ie all of you should watch it).

*EDIT* Plus it's incredibly cheap and region free. That said, the DVD box it comes in is cheap as shit. But hey, the quality of the show is fine.

Edited by tantryl

LEXX

especially the 2nd and 3rd series, but the original 4 feature length episodes had merit

the 4th (and final) series lost the plot i think... seems to be a sad commonality of series to peak and then die tragically

Lexx

just bought the entire 4 series on dvd from fleabay - the first time i have ever purchased dvd's for myself of anything ever i think, and looking forward to seeing them all

a sci-fi series without precedent or anything close, really

LEXX

especially the 2nd and 3rd series, but the original 4 feature length episodes had merit

the 4th (and final) series lost the plot i think... seems to be a sad commonality of series to peak and then die tragically

So... Lexx, you say?

Hmm.

:P

So... Lexx, you say?

:P

you'll either love it, or not :)

i don't think it has any middle ground for opinions

Dunno how you havent given The Office (uk) and Extras a go ;)

And while we're on the Ricky Gervais subject, An Idiot Abroad, while not really a tv show like the rest, is the best thing I have watched (repeatedly) this year.

I'm also a fan of Gilmore Girls.....there, I said it.

Edited by justo316

An Idiot Abroad, while not really a tv show like the rest, is the best thing I have watched (repeatedly) this year.

Yeah that thing was fantastic. Great way to show the world in the mystifying eyes of a hooligan. Edited by Mr.Twinkie

Imma throw this here:

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=41970

Saves me doing write-ups of "Whites" and "Episodes" (and I've already mentioned "The Trip"...which I rewatched and is still funny as fuck...also available as a cut-down theatrical release).

EDIT: HOLY CRAP! Just read your list and "Sherlock" (the 2010 BBC mini-series) is neither listed under "watched", nor "to be watched".

REMEDY THIS IMMEDIATELY!

Edited by hectorbustnuts

HOLY CRAP! Just read your list and "Sherlock" (the 2010 BBC mini-series) is neither listed under "watched", nor "to be watched".

It is, just under the Still Going sheet.

I've added Whites and Episodes. Already seen Whites. Is decent.

>Edit: What hector said<

Also, Game of Thrones has managed to linger in my head long after I watched the last ep. Can't wait for season 2

Edited by BeDLaM#29

A doco series I really enjoyed recently (that's actually unlikely to get a DVD release due to complications with studio footage rights) is A History of Horror with Mark Gatiss

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vcwm7

Posted Image

Q&A with Mark Gatiss

What's different about your history of horror from previous attempts to cover the subject?

I hope it's infused with a genuine love of the genre. I've seen some documentaries which either treat everything very jokily or totally po-faced. We've had a lot of fun making this series but treat it with the proper respect it deserves.

What did you want to achieve with the series?

An accessible history of horror movies that's unashamedly personal. I've left out some very famous films that I don't happen to care for and, sadly, had to ignore some because of time constraints. It would be impossible to do justice to horror cinema in 13 hours never mind three so forgive me if your favourites are missing!

How did you first become interested in Horror cinema?

The first film I can remember seeing on TV was The Brides of Dracula. I was instantly hooked.

Did you make any exciting new discoveries while making the series?

Watching some films I scarcely knew, such as the bulk of Mario Bava's work. It's absolutely incredible stuff. Also to be able to handle Lon Chaney's actual make-up box and the wax head he used to model his grotesques looks upon. That was something.

Who were you particularly thrilled to meet?

It was amazing to meet people like Anthony Hinds and Jimmy Sangster whose names were legendary to me from my childhood but I suppose it would have to be Gloria Stuart, who has sadly just passed away at 100-years-old. To be able to talk to someone who starred in The Old Dark House was just amazing. Also Carla Laemmle, who could remember watching Chaney as Quasimodo scaling the front of Notre Dame Cathedral back in 1922 and Donnie Dunagan who was the little boy in Son of Frankenstein. His memories of Karloff and Lugosi were delightful, wise, funny and deeply touching.

Can the early movies (particularly from Episode 1) really still scare a modern audience raised on movies like Saw and Hostel?

Yes and no. It completely depends on the threshold of your own terror. I'm constantly amazed how many people say 'Oh, I just can't watch films like that'. You can look back on a film like Bride of Frankenstein and see that it's a beautiful, sly, strange work of art or Hammer's first Dracula which retains a wonderful, visceral power. In any case, I worry about people brought up on Hostel. I think we should tell the police about them.

Why did you stop in the late 70s?

We had to stop somewhere and the release of Hallowe'en in 1978 seemed the perfect place. It's a superb film. Almost perfect in its power to shock and scare. But it ushered the age of the slasher movie, effectively killing off 'supernatural' horror for a generation. Of course, there were exceptions but Hallowe'en seemed the natural place to end.

In the final episode you mention that there have been some standout films since Halloween, which are your favourites?

The Shining. The Fog. American Werewolf. The Thing. Evil Dead II. Salem's Lot. Silence of the Lambs...

Why should non-horror aficionados watch the series?

I think there's a genuinely fascinating personal story spanning the three episodes. Not just my own affection for the films, but the journeys of actors like Boris Karloff and Peter Cushing and directors like George Romero and John Carpenter. And they should also watch because I say so.

In Episode 2, which deals largely with Hammer horror, you say that this is the period that's closest to your heart. Why do you love these films so much?

They were the films I grew up with and responded to the most. Having said that, your tastes change and I find I enjoy some of the later, less famous Hammers more than some of their most celebrated films.

Are there any particular films in the series you can highlight that have influenced your own work?

The Wicker Man (obviously!) Blood on Satan's Claw. The Haunting. Cat People. I Walked with a Zombie. The Quatermass Xperiment.

You’re shipwrecked on a desert island, what one film from each era would you take to your castaway cinema?

Son of Frankenstein. The Devil Rides Out. Martin.

We'll give you a Satanic Bible to read, but is there a particularly important book on the subject you'd take with you?

When I was seven or eight, I was bought a fantastic book called The Movie Treasury of Horror Movies by Alan G. Frank, it became my bible. It’s packed full of the most amazing photos and is still fantastic to look at.

What horror 'luxury' would you take?

There’s Lon Chaney's make-up kit, but that wouldn't be much use on a desert island. I'd take the debris of the Orca from Jaws so I could paddle home.

Gatiss is genuinely in love with the info he's presenting. Good stuff.

Guest MrInsaneBuff

Better Off Ted for a good quirky laugh, series 1 better than 2 but still good. NSFW (oh, really NSFW) Outtakes

Hyperdrive for the scifi geek in you, again series 1 better.

If you were in to Reaper then Breaking In would suit you for a corny watch, only 7 eps before it got tinned though.

Breaking In may not be dead quite yet. I was reading the other day that the cast have been asked not to sign on to anything new.

I dont know why Christian Slater always gets the shit end of the stick. I actually quite like him.

Edit: Oh and the US Shameless is quite good. Though i think you have to consider it an entirely seperate show from the UK version. If you dont try and compare the two its really quite good.

Edited by MrInsaneBuff

Edit: Oh and the US Shameless is quite good. Though i think you have to consider it an entirely seperate show from the UK version. If you dont try and compare the two its really quite good.

Hard to do when you've had 8 seasons of the UK version you need to discount.

UK Skins and Shameless is far far superior to either of the seppo remakes.

That said Anne-Marie_Duff is nowhere near as hot as Emmy Rossum.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but The Tudors is a very good series just finished watching it. Recommend it