Gas Lee

So I'm using Linux...

I don't think I'm a genius, by any means, but I'm far from stupid either. Anyone who imagines Linux to be ready for end users is fucking deluded.

Well, I must be quite deluded!

Your point encapsulates exactly what I find thrilling about Unix - the people who know how to use it effectively are few and far between compared to people who are familiar with the Windows platform. This creates great commercial opportunities for those who are able to use it in a production environment. As a platform, I sincerely hope free Unix finds a nice niche of 10-20% market share. Big enough to require thought regarding compatibility with other platforms by vendors, yet small enough so that skilled employees can still command a premium salary compared to positions working with more common technologies.

Sounds to me that you agree with Cybes. Besides ... if he's wrong about GNU/Linux, I still wouldn't want to spill the beans.

I don't think I'm a genius, by any means, but I'm far from stupid either. Anyone who imagines Linux to be ready for end users is fucking deluded.

Well, I must be quite deluded!

Your point encapsulates exactly what I find thrilling about Unix - the people who know how to use it effectively are few and far between compared to people who are familiar with the Windows platform. […etc]

That's funny, because I've just come home from a conference that was full of people that fit under this banner.

Compared to a conference of talented windows people?

Edit:

Now posting from Xubuntu.

Initial feel is good, I'm using mostly the same software as I was in Ubuntu, but the system (800mhz/1.6ghz sempron laptop, 1gb ram) is much more responsive under Xfce than it was in Gnome. In particular Youtube functions much better, no noticeable frame dropping this time around.

Just going to let the system update itself now, and then I'll report back in a few days with how I find it/

Edited by Gas Lee

That's funny, because I've just come home from a conference that was full of people that fit under this banner.

I'm so jealous! I had approval from my manager to attend LCA, but due to the floods, it was all hands on deck when we got power back in Milton. LCA is one of the finest technical conferences in the world & is always very enjoyable.

Anyway, keeping it short as I didn't mean to hijack this thread.

I'm so jealous! I had approval from my manager to attend LCA, but due to the floods, it was all hands on deck when we got power back in Milton. LCA is one of the finest technical conferences in the world & is always very enjoyable.

Anyway, keeping it short as I didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Heh, I paid out of my own pocket to attend that conference. Didn't regret that at all. The next one will be in Ballarat and I'm not sure if I'll make it, but I remain optimistic.

I use Ubuntu 10.04LTS Server on my terminal and I can say that Debian is OK being a drake.

So with Ubuntu dumping gnome for unity I will be migrating off Ubuntu once and for all and migrating back to my own Mandrake Distro I will be further developing over a several month build process.

I am also developing a 64bit BeOS platform I will be using later on.

Ubuntu has been fun and easy on the gaming but I just cant stand Trinity desktop. Its for babies.

Edited by spaceman212

I must say I need that clarified too.

Mandrake is basically a fork off Red Hat Linux … it forked from 5.1, I remember the first releases looking almost exactly like Red Hat. It wasn't until release 6 or 7 that Mandrake started to really differentiate itself. This would have been around 1998-99 or so.

We got Mandriva when Mandrake merged with Conectiva Linux.

Red Hat started in 1994. Debian on the other hand, have been around for donkeys years. Since 1993 according to Wikipedia. Sure, they might've have had only one or two releases in the time before Mandrake forked.

Probably the only thing that Mandrake shares in common with Debian is APT, a package distribution service which Debian initially came up with. Conectiva were the group that took APT and ported it to RPM if I recall correctly. So the tree looks more like this:

1993:											Debian o
1994:   o Red Hat									   |
1995:   |											   |
1996:   * Red Hat 3.0.3								 * buzz (1.1)
		| (First Linux distribution using ELF instead   |
		|  of a.out)									|
		* Red Hat 4.0								   * rex (1.2)
		| (My first taste of							|
		|  Linux)									   |
1997:   |					   o Conectiva			 * bo (1.3)
		|					   |  Debian apt		   |
1998:   * Red Hat 5.1		   |< - - - - - - - - - - -* hamm (2.0)
		|\					  |   ported to RPM	   |
		| '--->Mandrake o 5.1   |   by Conectiva		|
1999:   |			   |	   |   at some point	   * slink (2.1)
2000:   |			   |	   |					   * potato (2.2)
2001:   |			   |	   * apt4rpm released	  |
		|			   |	   | on Sorceforge		 |
2002:   |			   |	   |					   * woody (3.0)
2003:   * Red Hat 9.0   |	   |					   |
		|\ (Last		|	   |					   |
		| \ consumer	|	   |					   |
		|  \ release)   |	   |					   |
		|   \		   |	   |					   |
		|	\		  |	   |					   |
		|	 \		 |	   |					   |
		|	  \		|	   |					   |
		|	   o Fedora|	   |					   |
		|	   |	   |	   |					   |
		|	   * Core  |	   |					   |
2004:   |	   | 1.0   |	   |					   |
		|	   | 2.0   |	   |					   |
2005:   |	   | 3.0   '>Merge<'					   |
		|	   * Core	  o Mandriva				  * sarge (3.1)
		|	   | 4.0	   |						   |
		v	   v		   v						   v

APT vs APT-RPM... Mandriva is still an RPM based distro. I know you're gonna tell me APT is a package managment system and that packages in the case of Mandriva are RPMs I still like to differentiate between the two.

Edited by i_am_banned

Well no, APT is a package distribution system. Akin to yum on Fedora, or urpmi on Mandrake.

The package manager it talks to is either dpkg (Debian/Ubuntu) or RPM (Red Hat derivatives).

I started to check out GNU/Linux when M$ and others were pushing for DRM.

Main reason, M$win barred me from playing "my own recordings", As I was not recognised by the database as the owner of the IP.

FFFtt!, welcome to knoppix, and then installation of Mandrake10

I've been dualbooting ever since.

As for the overhead difference with different environments, eg. kde, gnome, and window managers like openbox....

Running the glxgears test in kwin I get around 5000fps (this is a software simulator)

But with the much lighter (memory useage) openbox, I get about 5 times the performance, and it's much zippier (without desktop effects, like cube, and wobbly windows).

Regards Glenn

Main reason, M$win barred me from playing "my own recordings", As I was not recognised by the database as the owner of the IP.

As in, music you performed with others and/or recorded yourself? Good going Microsoft.

As for the overhead difference with different environments, eg. kde, gnome, and window managers like openbox....

Running the glxgears test in kwin I get around 5000fps (this is a software simulator)

But with the much lighter (memory useage) openbox, I get about 5 times the performance, and it's much zippier (without desktop effects, like cube, and wobbly windows).

glxgears is a pretty crude test. It's akin to starting up the 3D maze screensaver that Windows 95 released with and comparing the frame rates that produces.

The good news though, some people call it fragmentation, but I call it choice. You can choose the desktop environment that suits you. It is after all, a personal computer.

Running Ubuntu Server within a VM on my Windows 7 box which acts purely as a Torrent Server. Transmission front end via WubUI ftw.

Ah yes I've had that before. Of course now that I only use FLAC for my recordings problem is solved :) GNU/Linux is still my OS of choice largely because it does everything I want an OS to do, gets out of my way, is flexible and fast.

Oh and you you don't have to put in your password all the time (unless you have configured your machine that way). When you are asked for your password you are using sudo (or gksu in gnome). By default sudo caches your credentials for 5 minutes (meaning you only need to enter your password if you have not used sudo for 5 minutes), this timeout can be modified. Credential caching along makes sudo fair less annoying than UAC.

See: http://www.sudo.ws/sudo/sudoers.man.html

I must say I have dabbled with win stuff, but hardware. A+ Cert IBM & win2000mcse to a degree, until....

I was checking these out, (I did A+ Cert, "IBM" & began(with all the books) win2000mcse) I'd been doing this throughout 2003/4 but once I got the drm error, I was convinced a change was in the breeze.

Redhat5.2, Knoppix (BLING!) I was convinced, I want to use this freedom.

I'm still learning (I'll never be a creative-programmer) and I enjoy the ups and downs, and am very very happy with my progress and my ability to help others, although in a limited way.

There's soo many distros, if you have the bandwidth, try out a few different distros.

Yes, the Debian distribution has (lately) finally become FOSS and is very stable.

All the other proprietary code is still available, but you don't need it for the OS to operate correctly, and still be FOSS.

All the best to you, I'm/we're nearby if you have any questions.

Yes I use flac for (near-)everything now-a-dayz!

I am not certified for A+ or MCSE2000, But I learned enough that I could get around my employers security (shhh!) and heaps more.

Nothing malicious.

Regards Glenn

Edited by GlennsPref