Sign in to follow this  
Zzozzach

100 people responsible for most P2P downloads

Apparently, we can blame the majority of illegal P2P file sharing on just a handful of people...although when you delve into the article a bit more you see that they're really referring to 'organisations' and not 'individuals'. I'm still dubious of the veracity of the results (reminds me of the flawed 'research' AFACT dragged out in court last year when they tried to sue iinet), and even though 66% can tenuously be considered a 'majority' I still think it's too low a ratio to be considered on it's own.

Similarly, the article doesn't specify what sort of content is being uploaded. Movies? Software? TV Shows? Further, is all of it illegal or is any of it legitimately upload by the original copyright holders/agents? That isn't mentioned so we can only speculate.

Linkage: http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/246094,...-downloads.aspx

100 people responsible for most P2P downloads

Spanish researchers say small band of entrepreneurs profit from torrent file-sharing

As few as 100 uploaders are responsible for supplying three quarters of all downloads on torrent networks, according to Spanish researchers.

A study by the Carlos III University of Madrid identified and investigated the motivations of the uploaders of 55,000 files on file-sharing sites Mininova and The Pirate Bay and found that a small number of people were behind most files accessed through the sites.

"The success of BitTorrent is due to the fact that a few users make a large number of contents available in exchange for receiving economic benefits,” said the authors of the report.

“A small group of users of these applications (around one hundred) is responsible for 66% of the content that is published and 75% of the downloads. In other words: the great success of a massively used application like BitTorrent depends on a few users.”

According to the researchers the “super uploaders” fall into two categories. In the first camp are "fake publishers", which include organisations fighting illegal downloading by publishing large quantities of false files and malicious users planting infected software.

The second group includes “top publishers” that post swathes of content via torrents and make a profit from online advertising and VIP subscriptions.

"In order to remain anonymous, many of them rent servers from companies that perform this service and then publish contents from those servers," the authors said in a statement.

The report suggests that by removing the financial incentive from these uploaders or taking out their uploading capability the music and film companies could make a large dent in P2P piracy.

"If these users lose interest in this activity or are eliminated from the system, BitTorrent’s traffic will be drastically reduced," the authors said.

“If these users lost their incentive, either because of a decrease in advertising income or due to having to pay very expensive fines, BitTorrent would very likely cease to offer these contents, which would make people stop using the application on a massive scale.”

i find that article entirely false becuase its more the just 100 people...

piracy is here to stay weter people like it or not (yes its bad but thats just how it is)

i find that article entirely false becuase its more the just 100 people...

piracy is here to stay weter people like it or not (yes its bad but thats just how it is)

I dont think you read it right mate. Think of uploaders like EZTV and all your private torrent sites. Their is always only a couple that a always posting new content.

I posted this same article on another forum I haunt, one that has a lot of European users, and one of them posted a link to the original press release for the study:

A research study identifies who uploads the majority of the content to the P2P piracy networks

The same person also posted this link to an article from the TorrentFreak web site, put up the same day the university study was released:

Law to Shutdown P2P Sites Resurrected By Spanish Coalition

The link between them is a bit weak, but it's interesting none the less.