Sign in to follow this  
lfc_ozzie

Corsair 800D

Hey guys just curious if anyone has used this case and can give some feedback. Apparently it suffers from bad airflow in a air called case but i think i might of solved the airflow problem for this case, only really draws air in from the one area at the bottom, I was thinking these two items might be a good way to solve the problem and get more cold air in the case.

www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=408&products_id=5630

www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13088

obviously i would only get one of the two not both as they wouldnt fit lol. From reading reviews and the such the main problem seems to be that the system cant draw in enough cold air to keep the system cool at decent levels, and the GPU's dont get enough airflow around them causing them to over heat a little. Some people have been installing a fan on the side of the window to blow directly onto the GPU, but i dont like the look of it, some people have been turning around the rear exhaust and making it an intake, but you would have to rotate and CPU cooler to vent out the top which would cause it to draw warm air straight off the GPU which is probably not the best thing to do. So i think if you just draw extra air in through the front of the case and replace the fan at the bottom with a better fan, it should i hope supply a decent amount of air to keep the system cooler and i only plan on using one of the bay devices for my optical drive and maybe another for my fan controller mainly for the temp probs.

I have also read that some people are only running two exhausts on the top as the 3rd fan which is basically directly above the bottom intake causes it to suck most of the cool air straight out of the top, if i do install the bay device fan then i most likely will run with only the two as the chance of that third fan drawing the cooler air coming in from it straight out the case would most likely increase dramatically.

The last thing i have read is some people are blocking the bottom vent below last expansion slot and the one at the top of the case above the back exhaust fan due to them drawing in both hot air and dust.

I think i best stop writing before i bore some people, anyones thoughts on this would be much appreciated

TBH if it does have airflow problems (hasn't that I've read), you could probably improve things by swapping the top fans from venting to intaking air and swapping the bottom fan from intaking to venting as there are plenty of fans there. iirc the main compartment of the case has four by default (two top, one bottom, one rear) with room for a third fan up top. People do object to that layout saying 'well heat rises etc' but TBH there just isn't going to be that much convection pushing against the grain in a 'top to bottom airflow' case. Would be interested to see the basis for the 800D having bad airflow though, would you be able to chuck up a link to that?

Hey mate i have the 800D for 4 months now what i did to solve the airflow issue is i bought the corsair H50 cpu cooler or h70 if u like and puting it on the rear exhaust and turning that exhaust into an intake with push/pull fans, then i used 3 700 rpm fans on the top as exhaust.

For the Bottom intake fan i just swapped out the corsair fan for a 140mm Noiseblocker fan and my x2 5870 dont go over 55c.

If u really dont want to buy a h50 or h70 and lets say for example u have a Hyper 212+ with push/pull fans on it u could turn the rear exhaust into an intake that gived me lower temps when i was using the hyper212

it would work like this

Rear Intake fan>>>>>>Cpu Fan Intake>>>(Hyper 212)>>> Cpu Fan Exhaust>>>

To be honest with u that case is made for watercooling.

best of luck hope i was some help

It was just a few video reviews on youtube, all they were saying is it can be a warm case due to a pocket of air being able to be trapped in the region of the GPU

I own this case, I used water cooling on my cpu and video cards, so I haven't mucked around with air cooling.

But a couple of things maybe worth trying:

Have 3 intakes ontop

1 intake at bottom.

rear exhaust+GPU cooler for air out.

Bit of positive pressure but I reckon it would work.

Or :

Rear intake

bottom intake

top 3 fan exhaust.

basically, this is a hideous case, and buy a lian li.

same zeropluszero from ocau?

@OP, can you afford to get a wcing kit? get one.

otherwise Id be getting a fan in the fron 5.25' bays make it an intake, make the rear exhaust an intake, the top fans exhaust, and the botton fan intake.

IF it is him, he'll soon blend in as trolling tech sections isn't allowed here, as is on OCAU.

That being said, the 800d is a bit of a monolith, but I like it for other reasons

I have it just sitting on a normal desk nothing fancy, will eventually go for WCing one day but in meant time rely on air lol. Thats why i was interested in the bay devices to introduce more air into the case

After thinking long and hard about it im kinda put off this case now due to the price, is there any betta cheaper window cases, that also can run cooler and are easy to cable manage?

Also just realised that the hot swap bays are for SATA II drives only, and dont support SATA III so kinda defeats the puropse of buying it if i cant put my upgrade in with the new HDD, only has space for 2 other drives, bit of a red flag really, thought they would of at least updated it to have SATA III back plate.

My 800D has the bottom as intake, back as intake, a noctua nhd-14 reversed to pull air from rear fan, and the 3 on top as exhaust. hot air rising and all that.

edit - solid case though, not disappointed in the slightest. best i have ever owned

Edited by g0t.w00t?

After thinking long and hard about it im kinda put off this case now due to the price, is there any betta cheaper window cases, that also can run cooler and are easy to cable manage?

Also just realised that the hot swap bays are for SATA II drives only, and dont support SATA III so kinda defeats the puropse of buying it if i cant put my upgrade in with the new HDD, only has space for 2 other drives, bit of a red flag really, thought they would of at least updated it to have SATA III back plate.

if you want sata III why not buy the 700D and get the 800D side window for it you just wont have hot swap bays.