Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Greaver

PSP2 Announced

PSP2 just announced a few minutes ago.

3G, Wifi, 5" OLED, PS3 graphics, two sticks, GPS, front and rear touch pads, Six axis motion sensors and front and rear cameras with a microphone.

To be released in Japan in the holiday season.

Touch Pad at the back, same size as the screen.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/27/the-sony-psp2/

http://au.psp.ign.com/articles/114/1146221p1.html

http://kotaku.com/5744297/live-from-...ess-conference

Posted Image

Edited by TheGrEaVeR

This is bigger:

Sony reveals PlayStation Suite framework, store for Android gaming

By Sean Hollister posted Jan 27th 2011 1:21AM

Breaking News

Sony just dropped a bomb on the Japanese stage -- not a single PlayStation Phone, but a PlayStation Phone experience for everybody. The company unveiled a cross-platform software framework called PlayStation Suite, which sounds rather boring in those words, but what it amounts to is an official PlayStation Store, filled with games for your Android tablets and cellphones. Sony's starting with an emulator for existing PlayStation Portable titles and is promising an Android game store later this year, but soon it might be much, much more: the company's calling PlayStation Suite a "hardware-neutral" development framework to make games portable for all sorts of handhelds.

Sony will sponsor a first-party licensing and quality-assurance scheme called PlayStation Certified, and provide the marketplace as well, likely hoping to attract major game developers to build top-tier titles for mobile and get a piece of the action too. If your device doesn't have have a pop-out gamepad handy, it looks like PlayStation Suite will emulate touchscreen controls, and you won't necessarily need a phone to get in on the action, as Sony says the next-generation PlayStation Portable will be compatible with games developed for PlayStation Suite right off the bat. Doesn't look like we're getting any details on game prices or compatible devices, but we imagine one particular phone will change all that at Mobile World Congress next month.

Interesting times are ahead.

I think the NGP should be made into phone. It already has 3G, Video and beefy battery and it would be perfect. It would be that hard to be honest. The only problem is how well Sony will update the Android OS on the Xperia Play Phone.

if the twin analogue sticks are anything close to the normal playstation ones, I'll be happy. The shit one that they have on the current psp is useless.

Not sure if the rear touchpad is actually gonna be useful....a bit gimmicky for my liking.

Why do get the impression the Android on this will be locked down badly?

Well because it will be. The Sony Ericsson X10i had a locked bootloader and thus was not able to be flashed at all. In addition the apps they loaded on the phone made it extremely slow. It will be case of wait and see.

It should be able to be used as a normal PS3 Controller. Since it now has all the keys/buttons.

That would help the burden of its cost if you could get another controller without paying for it.

Looks good. Will be very interesting to see how well this goes against the 3DS. Both now will have digital distribution, backward compatibility and a certain social aspect.

Nice powerful bit of kit here, that's for sure.

No mention of the pricing as yet. If it's under iPhone4 pricing, should be a good get.

I'd like to hear more about the touch enabled feature on the back which piqued my interest not to long ago when it was hinted that it would have one. It actually got me thinking about them using it as a keyboard alternative but that was only due to my thinking that the main screen wasn't touch sensitive. Good thing the psp2 will rely heavily on a proper control scheme. On that note, I guess you sometimes have to have some form of novelty (e.g 3d screens) to move devices since there's helluva a lot of convergence happening esp with wifi/3g/portable gaming on things like tablets and smartphones.

There seems to be talk about being able to play your ps3 games at home then take that same game with you on the go with the psp2. that's intriguing but whether this eventuates or how its implemented remains to be seen. Will it have any relevance come the next playstation console or will we see another update to the psp platform before then - perhaps im just skipping ahead to far :)

Also with the advancement of mobile processors and gpus, i wouldn't be surprised to see the playstation suite graphics on mobile devices like tablets and smartphone surpass the psp2 handheld in 3/4 years time but I guess you're buying the psp2 for the experience and control scheme and not just a me-too phone with gaming on the side.

How important is it to have 3g capabilities anyways? Its a gaming platform with basic phone functions? I guess if there's two versions, one with wifi only, i guess that would address any fears about kids going over the limit since 3G internet isn't exactly cheap when you've got stingy carriers giving you sub-par performance.

PSP2 looks impressive and so does the hardware and screen but hopefully the battery situation is reasonable. Price wise, it looks like it going to be expensive but the games like uncharted is going to grab quite few peoples attention.

Some of the launch titles:

Among the first wave of games will be the following series:

• Killzone

• Uncharted

• WipEout

• LittleBigPlanet

• Call of Duty

• Resistance

• Little Deviants

• Hot Shots Golf

• Reality Fighters

• Gravity Daze

• Smart As

• Broken

• Hustle Kings

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/sony-t...es-for-the-ngp/

I read somewhere that you can browse the web and play on line via 3g but it cant be used as a phone.

Well because it will be. The Sony Ericsson X10i had a locked bootloader and thus was not able to be flashed at all. In addition the apps they loaded on the phone made it extremely slow. It will be case of wait and see.

Tell that to FreeX10 2.2 running on my Xperia...

It did have a locked bootloader, yes, but thankfully hackers found a way around it. The motorola devs have not been as lucky.

Does having 3g mean it can be used as a phone? Because that would be fairly awesome.

There is a Sony Playstation Phone on the way, it is a different device from the new PSP but it also runs on Android Gingerbread, so I am thinking they will run the same apps and games http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2380395,00.asp

Edited by Waltish

Oh, am I totally misunderstanding? It thought that press release meant you could play PSP games on any android phone / tablet? I was thinking 'haha - take that apple - that'll teach you to steal our market share' - no? =(

If that were the case I'd totally be going android for my next phone. Sex! I don't think I want a dedicated playstation phone though - that just seems, gimmicky - and not that good =(.

If it runs Android, then they're required to provide the source code to any GPL/LGPL software that runs upon it including the kernel. Either as a download off their site, or they post you a CD of the sources.

http://linuxconfau.blip.tv/file/4695929/ ← for the fine print. Admittedly, not from a lawyer, but I'm sure Sony have got sound legal advice before considering Android.

I think they should provide an option for people to be able to load their own OSes on these things, bearing in mind that the user then sacrifices the ability to use it as a commercial gaming platform. I for one, would love to fiddle with one of these, looks like it's got a lot of interesting peripherals — but not for gaming.

Whether they will or not, is a matter to be seen.

Before people bring these up, the PS2 and PS3 of course are a different story, neither of these came with Linux pre-installed, it was an add-on kit. In this case however, the rumour is that the PSP2 will ship with Android, which includes the Linux kernel (but mostly BSD userland, if you like, BSD/Linux rather than GNU/Linux). In both cases they had to ship the source code, but in this case, they have to be more up-front about it.

It'll be really shiny nice if they submit the patches properly upstream and get them merged into the mainline kernel, rather than just dumping a large blob on the community like they did for the PS2. We shall see there too, I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah - psp2 looks remarkably hack-worthy. And if the peeps that understand that kind of thing could get the source code I'm sure they could get that hardware doing all sort of shiny things.