Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
The Prophet

Google Chrome

Just wondering what everyone's thought on Google Chrome was.

I have been using it on and off now for about a week and I do like it in concept. Though I find that it is still buggy especially when you try and view a lot of .aspx pages (a few of the .net controls don't work).

Also it still manages to consume more resources that I would like.

It's really fast - faster than FF 3.1 Alpha 2 and IE8 Beta 2 but it's still a bit too buggy.

Refused to download a 3.30GB ISO image because the file was too big.

I like the layout but I've grown used to the internet without ads (I love you AdBlock Plus) and can't handle having flashing BUY THIS!! everywhere.

I do however like the incognito mode.

I haven't seen the speed that others espouse, only marginally quicker than FF3.

I love it, its what I use now.

With a bit more tinkering, I think it will become the browser of choice for many more people.

Loving it, is my default browser currently. Have Remember The Milk, GMail and Google Calendar installed as apps via Chrome :)

Very fast, incognito mode is great.

I feel like i've done some huge e-renovations over the past fortnight - got a "new" PC thanks to the overclocking which I finally had some success with, updated to WMP11, atomics new site & Chrome, which i'm loving...everything's faster when it comes my PC/browsing. All I need is my CRT replacement (which is happening tomorrow), & things will be complete, for now.

I'm thinking they don't have the community support necessary to test the browser. Features will probably be delayed in being added, and even then it'll just be to keep up with FF/Opera innovations. If they'd come blasting out of the gate with a version of Speed Dial that was actually customisable (a la Speed Dial extension for FF3, Opera's Speed Dial feature), or a builtin debugger similar to Firebug/Greasemonkey, then I'd have actually taken a second glance at the thing.

Another web browser. Yup. Thats just what we need.

That's about my sentiments.

same here,

also I've had a bit of a chuckle that all the speed comparisons I've seen have firmly avoided sitting it alongside opera

Another web browser. Yup. Thats just what we need.

That's about my sentiments.

same here,

also I've had a bit of a chuckle that all the speed comparisons I've seen have firmly avoided sitting it alongside opera

The real benefits will be seen when we start getting more and more rich web applications, such as Google is push for with it's online document editors. The way Chrome handles JavaScript and the way in which it uses Gears should show noticable imporvements.

But, then we'll be harking back to the days where we coded something for a particular browser, and that went down so well with ActiveX...

I use it at work and don't mind it. Seems a little zippier to load up and to load pages, but haven't compared it with any other browsers side-by-side.

It doesn't meet my requirements for home use, though, so for me - Firefox is still king.

When I open Firefox by accident the only Tab that's in the cache is the Chrome download screen.

Haven't looked back since :P

You guys realize this is mostly hype, and not likely to see much development right? I base this on looking at the Chromium development tree.

i liked it alot. on some sites i visited while using it (one of which was facebook) there are some buttons and areas to click to show more posts or information or whatever and it didnt work, but did in firefox. incognito mode is cool, but yeah. i found it like a cross between safari and firefox. give it a bit more time and i think it'll do well.

i liked it alot. on some sites i visited while using it (one of which was facebook) there are some buttons and areas to click to show more posts or information or whatever and it didnt work, but did in firefox. incognito mode is cool, but yeah. i found it like a cross between safari and firefox. give it a bit more time and i think it'll do well.

I have given it more time, & it's gotten better imo. The speed is the best thing, but the interface & features get better & more intuitive the more I use it.

Another nifty find - when you do a word search, all the results' page locations show up on the right-hand scroll bar.

I'm probably only going to touch Chrome if it gets the same UI and extensibility as Firefox.

I can't stand minimilist browsing, but I do like the sound of the engine

I'm probably only going to touch Chrome if it gets the same UI and extensibility as Firefox.

+1

Chrome seems like a good browser and has a lot going for it, but for me the raw functionality and customization of Firefox with extensions/themes etc will keep me sticking with that.

Very slick browser though and look forward to what more they can do with it.

Being open source though maybe Mozilla can nick a few of their ideas and code?

Also, for me Chrome takes a lot longer to start up than Firefox does, and it hangs much more frequently. What a joke.