Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
SquallStrife

TC Anthony & TC Yasi

For those that like comparisons:

Posted Image

The estimates for yasi are 600 - 650 kms across...

Might not be on the money for current events (And you have to admit, estimates are just that ;) - but no, I'd wager it's old data, buggered if I know the source), but at least it gives some comparisons of the past events.

There was one good thing Cyclone Tracey did for Darwin, we got a proper cyclone building standard so everyone didn't live in rickety sheds in stilts.

House are supposed to withstand up to Cat 4.

A lot of the wave readings you guys are seeing are false, waves are going over the buoys.

A lot?

They only just reported the problem when a wave of 18m was recorded. How do you know a lot of the previous readings were false?

Agreed, the building code had been very lax, but people forget. After Ash Wednesday in SA the code went high in the hills, I was living in Adelaide at the time, didn't affect me, did family, but it's relaxed again, recipe for another one....

Just why Australia doesn't have a full water bomber fleet bemuses me, it happens somewhere just about every year and plenty of older aircraft are easily adaptable.

Here we import as needed and have light stuff, the big boys snuff them rather fast.

That bitch is still on track and spawning.....

Cheers

A lot of the wave readings you guys are seeing are false, waves are going over the buoys.

A lot?

They only just reported the problem when a wave of 18m was recorded. How do you know a lot of the previous readings were false?

Anna Bligh was just on ABC News 24 saying that the report of 18m was false.

Rob.

It's looking like Townsville and Cairns might dodge the worst of it but I suspect Towsville might cop a pretty bad storm surge.

Looks like it'll hit land around Dunk Island / Innisfail area.

The thing is, what will it do once it hits land. If it lingers or dances down the coast, that'd probably be the worst situation.

If it travels inland, I suspect it'd lose it's energy a lot quicker.

I couldn't help but laugh at how the sign language lady at the press conference did "trees blown over horizontal." She basically mimed it.

Rob.

Jesus - http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQP0005.txt

At 12:00 am EST Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi, Category 5 was estimated to be 120

kilometres south southeast of Cairns and 50 kilometres southeast of Innisfail

and moving west southwest at 27 kilometres per hour.

THE LARGE DESTRUCTIVE CORE OF CYCLONE YASI IS STARTING TO CROSS THE COAST

BETWEEN INNISFAIL AND CARDWELL, WITH A DANGEROUS STORM TIDE AND BATTERING WAVES

TO THE SOUTH OF THE CYCLONE CENTRE.

*holds breath*

good luck to the 6, 60 years olds that are stuck in Caldwell. Looks like it's crossed at Mission Beach... heading towards Tully.

Edited by i_am_banned

It's landed, I'm watching that potential daughter now, gunna get wet down south....

It wont dissipate as fast as most Ry, it's just too bloody big.

Cheers

I'm looking at the national radar loop from BOM, it's interesting, theres clouds supposedly above about where I live probably about 1500km away. No rain here though... The local airport here is harboring a whole heap of airplanes from up that way. Just gaining my bearings and I'm about 400km from the outermost edge of the storm. If I remember I'll take a drive up to the local airport and get a picture of all the planes here.

Edited by i_am_banned

I just had a look at the satellite as well, my god that is big. That comparison is definitely off that you posted Bug.

To put it into perspective - How Yasi compares

Superimposed over USA

Posted Image

Superimposed over Asia

Posted Image

Superimposed over Europe

Posted Image

pics

Are those pics put to the same sort of scale as Aus is to yasi? Seems like they shrunk USA and other countries to make it a little dramatic.

I'm not sure though, so want it cleared up. Bloody massive fucker if it is...

pics

Are those pics put to the same sort of scale as Aus is to yasi? Seems like they shrunk USA and other countries to make it a little dramatic.

Posted on the news site - I assume its to scale.

this is a screenie from here

Posted Image

Edited by DEVERE

They've included a whole bunch of "associated" weather systems, so it's actually something like 2000 km worth across.

pics

Posted on the news site - I assume its to scale.

this is a screenie from here

Posted Image

That's one big Mofo

Psted screenie to Faacebook. (I have a lot of American friends and family there)

The eye is collapsing

It's still a Category 5 but is expected to be downgraded to a 4 within the next hour.

Current predicted track

Cairns appears to have missed the worst of the effects, but the authorities are reporting that it will be difficult to ascertain damage until it's light.

EDIT : Yep, BoM now report it is a Cat 4. Lets hope it continues to drop quickly.

Heard a report from a Councillor from Tully which was in the direct path. He said he had a quick look around as the eye passed over and the town was devastated. He was sitting in his car with his wife and mum as the roof had been ripped off the house.

:-|

It will be a while before more detailed damage reports come in.

Edited by Mac Dude

I'm in the middle east at the moment, and Yasi isn't even mentioned on the CNN hourly highlights.

(They are fixated on Egypt and Egypt alone.)